autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: G21 rotation

Post Thanks / Like

Re: G21 rotation

You might want to pick up 1 of these Silver Sharpies to mark your backing plate. They work perfect on the black colored Boss backing plates.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    You might want to pick up 1 of these Silver Sharpies to mark your backing plate. They work perfect on the black colored Boss backing plates.

Good idea! I ended up placing a line on the pad, but I think the silver will be easier to see. Thank you!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DETAILROOKIE View Post
    I might prefer being washer free like yourself. Thanks again!

Pad rotation becomes less important the larger the throw, meaning, even if the pad isn't spinning, it will still correct paint. Albeit, at a much slower rate. With an 8mm random orbital, if the pad isn't spinning, you will get no correction. With that said, you want as much pad rotation as you can get with any size stroke. When the backing plate isn't rubbing against the shroud, you will definitely get better rotation. I will never use a long throw if the backing plate is not totally free from rubbing the shroud. It just make sense.
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    You don't need extra washers... Actually adding more washers than needed could have a negative side effect which results in the center piece of the backing plate warping due to not being fully engaged during use.

This is what started happening to mine with only 2 washers installed.

Back to the washers... 2 washers gives plenty of clearance from the shroud. As long as you're sure it's not touching the shroud then it's not an issue, and adding more or thicker washers is not going to help the situation in any way.

Use a flashlight to get a clear view of the clearance. 2 washers = more than enough clearance.

As far as how many rotations you get on a free spin with the polisher? Mine was the same exact way when I got it new. It would only freely spin 1.5 maybe 2 times even with 2 washers installed. I haven't even bothered to check since.. It's a non factor.

Ill throw in my 2 cents. On my G21 I have a (1) washer installed, and have no issues with free spinning. My G15 on the other hand does have an issue. So I took off the washer from the G21 to place (2) washers in the G15, as a few in the past have mentioned. My G15 now works much better and does not get hung up on curved panels as much. So there may be something slightly off.

Side note: I clean my machines every so often and take off the backing plate to get inside the shroud as well. Here is what I found just 2 days ago. And I have have 1 washer installed on the G21. I have not noticed anything affecting its performance though.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Legacykid View Post
    Ill throw in my 2 cents. On my G21 I have a (1) washer installed, and have no issues with free spinning. My G15 on the other hand does have an issue. So I took off the washer from the G21 to place (2) washers in the G15, as a few in the past have mentioned. My G15 now works much better and does not get hung up on curved panels as much. So there may be something slightly off.

Side note: I clean my machines every so often and take off the backing plate to get inside the shroud as well. Here is what I found just 2 days ago. And I have have 1 washer installed on the G21. I have not noticed anything affecting its performance though.

Thank you for you input!

I spoke to Griots Garage and they told me that the G21 will spin less than the G15, but I don't know how true that is. Ill do some experiementing this weekend and see how it performs.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Legacykid View Post

Wow that's pretty extreme... Preventing that from happening is the main reason I stopped using the washer mod on my G21.

That looks very close to being in danger of the dang thing flying off during use and causing major damage and or injury. I'm assuming that center piece of the backing plate is made of aluminum because it's very weak.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12