autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Is GG6 the right tool for me

New guy to detailing have a situation with a 2015 Ranger Z520C bass boat and some vehicles I will be working on. My focus is the boat, the cars/trucks get traded too often to worry about but I will still work on them if I have the tools/skills/desire.

I tow with the cover on so I have a couple spots about the size of your hand above the rub rail that are starting to appear slightly hazy from certain angles in specific lighting situations. I wipe the boat down with an absorbing towel when it comes out of the water so I'm sure an LED inspection would show a few flaws, this practice will be abandoned in favor of a rinseless wash or quick detailer. However, on to the question:

I know a rotary in the right hands would be optimal but the hands typing this question are not the hands to be wielding a rotary. I have read that gelcoat can be tough and forgiving but I think that also means using a DA polisher rather than a rotary will take longer and/or not be capable of producing the results. I thought the GG6 being more powerful and perhaps combining it with a 3" backing plate might help bridge the gap between performance and "safety". This particular boat has a lot of "body" lines, above the rub rail and below so I'm concerned about using a 5" or 6" pad and not being able to work the actual area I need to, another reason I was looking at the 3" plate.

1. Does that generate more power with the smaller pad or less? Reason seems to dictate the smaller pad would be more powerful but use a greater number of pads and take more time to get through a given section.
    2. Would I need to be worried about all these "body" lines or just go with a 5" pad and let her rip?
    3. I have not settled on a polish or a compound, my initial plan was to get the GG6 with 5" and 3" backing plates and some orange, black, red pads. I planned to try the pads with the m61 cleaner wax on one of the areas and go from there. After more reading I'm concerned maybe I need to pick up a tougher compound and pads just in case its not enough. what would be the next step up in pad and compound from m61, m50?
    4. Am I wrong in thinking that a given pad/compound in 3" is more aggressive than 6" if all other factors are the same (speed, pace, pressure, etc.)?
    5. is it normal to just touch up these few spots and move on to the next step or is it standard practice to polish the entire boat with an "aggressive" process before applying m63 or equivalent final step?

sorry for all the dumb questions, its difficult to convey the concerns knowing how it seems in the inexperienced mind is not how it is in real life. I just don't want to waste money or, more importantly, time working through pointless processes. Every boat/rv video starts out with a rotary tool plus wool pad and I just dont think I'm at that point with this gel coat...but I could be wrong.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you for your time

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Is GG6 the right tool for me

get a flex
    Back to the full-time grind.

Post Thanks / Like

Do you want to spend $150 or $400? If the answer is $150, then you have two choices, the PC or the GG. I think most people would recommend the GG. Go with the long cord and the price is $165.

Post Thanks / Like

the Flex is going to be the better choice since it's forced rotation for what you need it for...

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't get too hung up on the power of the small pad vs the large.

If you do go with the GG6, consider Lake Country Thin Foamed Wool pads.

I believe there is a write up, or video, or something of Mike Phillips using the Thin Foamed Wool with a Porter Cable 7424xp somewhere on the Interwebz.

The Flex 3401 can spin wool pads effortlessly though. All in all, that might be the route you need to go.

However, as mentioned, the GG6 is going to be able to get a LOT of work done.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

thank you for the advice. Can I run multiple size backing plates on the flex?

trying not to get too caught up in product selection, I have to imagine the overall differences at the end of the day are subtle. I think the plan of attack once the tool is selected is to try 61 but have 67 on hand and follow either of those up with 63 as lsp. For pulling the boat out after fishing I think I'm going to use 143 (if time allows, which it usually does) and also have a quick detail spray on hand in case it does not. I wash this thing at least once a month or so and usually foam/wax/etc twice per year so have a true 12 month product isnt overly critical. thank you

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrhoops View Post
    thank you for the advice. Can I run multiple size backing plates on the flex?

trying not to get too caught up in product selection, I have to imagine the overall differences at the end of the day are subtle. I think the plan of attack once the tool is selected is to try 61 but have 67 on hand and follow either of those up with 63 as lsp. For pulling the boat out after fishing I think I'm going to use 143 (if time allows, which it usually does) and also have a quick detail spray on hand in case it does not. I wash this thing at least once a month or so and usually foam/wax/etc twice per year so have a true 12 month product isnt overly critical. thank you
    I think the flex can run 6.5, 4 3/8, and 4" (lake country) plates. I only ever had the stock, and 4 3/8" (to run 5.5" pads).

Post Thanks / Like

The haze you are seeing will be silver eventually. Boats don't have the clear coat like most paint jobs that are done on cars. What you are seeing is the the gel coat rubbing through to the silver flake in the gel. Depending on the year, some boats silver flake are.008, or they could be as large as .020. I would put something on the inside of the cover where it is rubbing so it doesn't rub on the flake if you are going to tow with the cover on. Ranger makes one of the better covers for fit, but you can still run into chaffing issues. I know I got of track on this, just don't want you to wind up trying to correct something that in the long run you may make worse.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

to be clear which model flex are you all recommend the PE14 or the 3401? I shurhold (seems almost like a marine division of griots, all their tools and polished look and sound identical) has a DA similar to the boss 21

this area is flat white, doesnt have any flake behind it but I do have some concern about thinning the gelcoat at all really, part of the reason I was leaning towards a somewhat underpowered tool. I no longer tow with the cover on now that my garage is built.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure what tool to recommend to you. I think you would be better off wet sanding, then use a sealant type product. I used to tow my boats with the cover on just because of the stuff that would come up on the road and make a mess of the carpet. I just made sure wherever it would chaff I would put something under the cover so it didn't rub.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast