autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

GG Boss 21 - washers/spacers - how many do you use?

Here's my 5" Boss Backing Plate. I learned my lesson with the 6" BP and never used a washer with this 1. Notice how the center hub has maintained its shape perfectly compared to the other 1.

If you're having issues with the pad stalling, maybe you should work on your technique a little bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: GG Boss 21 - washers/spacers - how many do you use?

haven't purchased one yet deciding on the g15 or rupes15.... seems hard to beat a 900w motor , almost double the power of rupes!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bdlerto51 View Post
    haven't purchased one yet deciding on the g15 or rupes15.... seems hard to beat a 900w motor , almost double the power of rupes!!!
    Slow down, don't get caught up in the numbers they're feeding you... Those numbers don't exactly mean twice the power.. There's more important things that should be the deciding factor.

Are you looking forward to buying Rupes pads & polishes to go with the Rupes MKll? If not, you could begin leaning towards the G15.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

was thinking about using the rupes pads yes or even the boss pads. not their polishes

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bdlerto51 View Post
    was thinking about using the rupes pads yes or even the boss pads. not their polishes
    In that case you're leaning towards the Griots...

Super Member Joe@NextLevelDetail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    I disagree with everyone saying that 2 doesn't work... IME 2 is actually too much. Just look at what started to happen very quickly once I began using it with 2 washers. The center hub began warping.

This is the 2nd backing plate I had that happen to... The 1st one was even worse and I got it replaced. Now I don't even use any washers and I'm perfectly happy with the polishers performance + it runs much smoother this way. If I run into a situation where I need extra power I'll use 1 washer.

IMO 3-4 would be insane and would actually begin to risk the backing plate literally coming off while polishing.

How many do you use?

The reason multiple washers need to be used is because they are too thin. So you are not really using 2-3 normal sized washers like the kevin brown washer for the rupes.

2 washers do not properly space the plate from the shroud, it still makes slight contact with the shroud.

3 GRIOTS washers are the equivalent to the washer Kevin Brown mods for the Rupes.

I do not use the Griots washers, i modified my own so i only use 1 for the proper spacing to move it from the shroud.

Your backing plate is going to see more wear because with the mod you are increasing rotation and losing oscillations putting more stress in the plate.

Backing plates should be replaced frequently anyway depending on how many hours and cars you have done, the plates are reasonably inexpensive at around $20. I always have multiple spares at hand.

So 3 washers might sound like ALOT, however its the same size as a normal washer.

If you do not want to use any washers at all you can remove the shroud, and that will solve your problem.

I will never polish with a shroud making contact with my backing plate, its like driving with an emergency brake on, and it also introduces friction on the plate causing heat, and with the buffing process introducing more heat is not a good idea to me. With the pad getting hot, and now my plate is experiencing friction that will just transfer more heat.

I rarely go above speed 4. And to get that same OPMS with the plate making contact with the shroud i would need to be at 5.5-6 so why would i stress out my machine more, and introduce more heat when i can simply polish at speed 4.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

GG Boss 21 - washers/spacers - how many do you use?

Quote Originally Posted by Joe@NextLevelDetail View Post
    2 washers do not properly space the plate from the shroud, it still makes slight contact with the shroud.
    2 washers do properly space the backing plate from the shroud.

And there's no danger of excessive heat by not using the washers.. As long as you periodically lubricate the shroud with the silicone grease that's provided with your polisher there's no danger of that happening. It's just like everything else in life that needs lube...

Post Thanks / Like

...Also, to insinuate that a person using the G21 so hard that excessive heat even begins to be such a problem contradicts the large majority of people who also say that using the G21 requires almost no downward pressure because nearly just the weight of the machine knocks out defects like a breeze... I've seen numerous people say that exact thing on this forum. So it can't be Both ways.

Post Thanks / Like

And there's no danger of excessive heat by not using the washers.. As long as you periodically lubricate the shroud with the silicone grease that's provided with your polisher there's no danger happening. It's just like everything else in life that needs lube...

Grease is just lubrication, friction is still being introduced to the plate friction = heat.

In theory polish is the same thing, "grease" to lubricate the paint heat is still going to be introduced no matter what.

Sent from my C6743 using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

And there's no danger of excessive heat by not using the washers.. As long as you periodically lubricate the shroud with the silicone grease that's provided with your polisher there's no danger of that happening. It's just like everything else in life that needs lube...

Each batch of the polishers seem to be different 2 original washers, my plate still made contact with the shroud.

Some people have told me that 1 original washer has properly spaced the plate from the shroud.

I no longer use the original washer , as the washer I use makes the plate spin freely with less drag.

Sent from my C6743 using Autogeekonline mobile app

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast