autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New BOSS user

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New BOSS user

Going from rotary to a random orbital is going to give you a very different user experience.

I also started with a rotary, but for me, I took to a r/o like a duck to water - I absolutely loved it. It was the "missing link" between the rotary, and my 6" Black & Decker waxer.

However, some guys have a harder time making the transition. I was requested to give a buffing lesson to a local detailer. It was clear that he would need to reconcile his time expectations with the r/o machine. I can only imagine that the experience is fairly common for those coming from a rotary.

Take a look at some of the videos that Griots released when the BOSS system debuted - if you haven't already. Jeff Brown did a phenomenal job explaining the system, and how to use it.

Mike Phillips also recently released a video demonstrating the usage of a random orbital tool.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Wx8DhK691e8

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Guys,
    Thanks so much... after watching the videos it certainly makes more sense... I ordered some of the BOSS 5" and the backing plate along with some correcting and perfecting cream...

I will let you know how it turns out once I receive my order...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kbiddle View Post
    Well I don't have any actual pictures have not figured out how to do that just yet but it was this kit.
    Griots Garage BOSS G21 Long-Throw Orbital Starter Kit if that helps?
    Ok. You have the BOSS pads then so you're good. The red one you mentioned was probably just the MF pads then, which would be the most aggressive pad of the BOSS line up.
    Quote Originally Posted by CieraSL View Post
    Wait! I know! Mirror, mirror against the grass, tell me who has kicked swirls' ass?
    http://Raskysautodetailing.com/

Post Thanks / Like

Technique plays a huge role in getting great results. Watch the videos, they will help.
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

The more I look at the Boss Machines, the more I'm liking them. Maybe one day I'll snatch me a 15, and permanently relegate my PC7424XP to use smaller backing plates and pads.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD51 View Post
    The more I look at the Boss Machines, the more I'm liking them. Maybe one day I'll snatch me a 15, and permanently relegate my PC7424XP to use smaller backing plates and pads.
    Similar story with Rupes for me. I love my 7424, and 7424xp, but the allure of those tools was too much to bear...

It arrived on a bitterly cold January day in 2015. I saw it sitting on the porch, when I got home from a long day at the car wash. The sun had just disappeared for the day. After letting it warm up a bit, I took that Duetto out of the box, got a pad on it, some compound, and started testing on a scrap door I had in my basement, and the rest is history.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dlc95 View Post
    Similar story with Rupes for me. I love my 7424, and 7424xp, but the allure of those tools was too much to bear...

It arrived on a bitterly cold January day in 2015. I saw it sitting on the porch, when I got home from a long day at the car wash. The sun had just disappeared for the day. After letting it warm up a bit, I took that Duetto out of the box, got a pad on it, some compound, and started testing on a scrap door I had in my basement, and the rest is history.
    Yeah, I know how hard it is, to sometimes resist the temptation to quickly open a half frozen box with electronic goodies inside, like a kid on Christmas.

I had to fight that horrible urge about a year ago, with a $10,000 pair of Bryston Monoblock Audio Amplifiers that came on an ice cold day in march from Alberta CN. I knew they'd be like blocks of ice. 5 Hours of torture I went through to let temps start to equalize and warm up, and making the sign of the cross that all was intact inside in the meantime. They were! :-)

I at least like the idea, that when ordering through AG here during the colder months, things take a more "southern route" across the country to my location, and not passing through super frigid cold.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kbiddle View Post
    Guys,
    Thanks so much... after watching the videos it certainly makes more sense... I ordered some of the BOSS 5" and the backing plate along with some correcting and perfecting cream...

I will let you know how it turns out once I receive my order...
    Good choices. The creams were designed around the polisher and pads so you will enjoy them. If you need more cut, fast correcting cream is getting a lot of recommendations. Good luck and post photos of before, during and after.

Post Thanks / Like

I do like the descriptions and options for the new Boss Machines. want it to operate like the Rupes, then don't install the optional spacer washer supplied. Different size backing plates available, Stick handle, Bail handle if you want them, Good quality bearings, total redesign, nice ergonomics, on and on, and the warrantee they have is a no brainer.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD51 View Post
    Yeah, I know how hard it is, to sometimes resist the temptation to quickly open a half frozen box with electronic goodies inside, like a kid on Christmas.

I had to fight that horrible urge about a year ago, with a $10,000 pair of Bryston Monoblock Audio Amplifiers that came on an ice cold day in march from Alberta CN. I knew they'd be like blocks of ice. 5 Hours of torture I went through to let temps start to equalize and warm up, and making the sign of the cross that all was intact inside in the meantime. They were! :-)

I at least like the idea, that when ordering through AG here during the colder months, things take a more "southern route" across the country to my location, and not passing through super frigid cold.
    Nice amp choice, I have 3 Bryston 3B's running my front 3 channels (Martin Logan's). Such sweet amp's. I had one break at around 10 years old and they covered it under there ridiculous 20 year warranty.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast