autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

GRIOT'S 3 inch orbital buffer

New guy first post.
    Approx 6 mo ago bought a Griot's 3 in orbital buffer, 2 bottles of XMT fine, and Ulta fine polish and a few black pads (Gray?).

This is the first car I have ever buffed out, a red 67 chevelle. I'm satisfied with the results only using the XMT fine polish and the black pad after clay baring the car, removing fine swirls that could be seen in the direct sunlight.

What I'm disappointed with is the lack of power with the Griot buffer it will not run under it's full weight. It seems to be just fine doing A pillars, B pillars, cutting in around the bumpers and the mirrors. I really do not want to do another whole care with the 3in Griot.

Is this normal, or should I be looking at a more powerful unit for my next car, maybe the Porter Cable 7424. I do like the 4 in pad diameter, just need more power to be more efficient with my time.

Regards

Post Thanks / Like

Re: GRIOT'S 3 inch orbital buffer

This question has been answered 100,000 times, but I'll answer it again

The 3" polisher is incredibly under powered. People ask all the time if it's worth the investment, and frankly, no. You can get the pillars done by taping off the seals and the glass. No real need for a 3" polisher for those. Other tight areas, I can understand, and justify, the need for one. However, I'd never get the Griots lol.

Next question, why the HELL would you want to polish an entire car with a 3" pad? the PC7424 is a great starting tool, and Mike uses it all the time. I opted for the step up to the Flex 3401, but that's because I didn't want to have to purchase a different polisher after the PC. The flex is a work horse, will do anything you want it to, and you'll never be let down. The pink one was just on sale too.

Post Thanks / Like

Ha, pretty blunt.

I don't have one but I believe it would be better suited for the tasks you mentioned it is good at. That's its main purpose, to work on smaller areas where a larger bulkier tool is unwanted.

Most all of the "full size" polishers will fit your needs. I have heard of people getting good results with just about every machine available, some will just take longer than others.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SKorch630 View Post
    This question has been answered 100,000 times, but I'll answer it again

The 3" polisher is incredibly under powered. People ask all the time if it's worth the investment, and frankly, no. You can get the pillars done by taping off the seals and the glass. No real need for a 3" polisher for those. Other tight areas, I can understand, and justify, the need for one. However, I'd never get the Griots lol.

Next question, why the HELL would you want to polish an entire car with a 3" pad? the PC7424 is a great starting tool, and Mike uses it all the time. I opted for the step up to the Flex 3401, but that's because I didn't want to have to purchase a different polisher after the PC. The flex is a work horse, will do anything you want it to, and you'll never be let down. The pink one was just on sale too.
    I did not realize this question had already been asked 100,000 times before. Now that I know I need a more powerful buffer I'll simply buy one tomorrow. My bad for asking a question, won't happen again.

As far as buffing a whole car with a 3 inch pad, was not bad at all 1/2 of a 6 pack, 4 hours later, the car looks very nice and I learned a lot.

Regards

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantilgh View Post
    Ha, pretty blunt.

I don't have one but I believe it would be better suited for the tasks you mentioned it is good at. That's its main purpose, to work on smaller areas where a larger bulkier tool is unwanted.

Most all of the "full size" polishers will fit your needs. I have heard of people getting good results with just about every machine available, some will just take longer than others.
    Hey HI.. This was my first car and I only know what I learned on this car. The Griot 3in seems like a okay buffer but my initial thoughts were, if there's nothing wrong with it, I really need to step up to a larger machine. I'll order something tomorrow. What buffer would you recommend or which one do you like or own?

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Rupes Duetto.

What polisher would I recommend? It depends...

Do you have a budget you are trying stay within?

Remember that you should also have an assortment of pads to deal with different situations.

Are you limited on time?

I guessing your not too limited if you did the Chevelle with the one you have.

Are you you young and able, or older and averse to holding a vibrating polisher for hours on end?

I am assuming the first.

Like I said, I think most all of the polished sold here are more than capable with the right pad and compound/polish combo and enough time.

Many people here have started out with a PorterCable dual action style machine and many keep them around for a backup once they have upgraded. Some say it's all they'll ever need.

When I refer to the PC DA style machines I mean the ones that are similar powered and similar orbit, typically 8mm.

Dual Action Orbital Polishers and pads: Porter Cable 7424 : Porter Cable 7424XP: Lake Country Buffing Foam Pads

Meguiars MT300 Dual Action Polisher

Griots Garage 6 Inch Random Orbital Polisher FREE SHIPPING

If you are not as concerned about price, and/or want a smooth running(easier on the body), and faster defect removal, I look at some of the bigger boys like...

Any of the Rupes, they should all be smooth and powerful, and have a larger orbit.

Rupes Polishers, Rupes Big Foot Polishers

Should be the same, or similar with the Griots Boss machines.

Griots Garage BOSS G15 Long-Throw Orbital Polisher

Griots Garage BOSS G21 Long Throw Orbital Polisher

Then you have the FLEX XC 3401 Orbital Polisher which is both dual action and forced rotation together. This will typically be faster than a DA only machine, but they are said to be not as smooth and vibrate a little more. It also requires a little more experience and technique.

Flex XC 3401, FLEX Orbital Polisher,flex XC 3401 VRG dual-action polisher,flex XC3401VRG,Dual Action polisher,FLEX buffer

I'm not really sure where this one falls in at, but another option.

http://www.autogeek.net/torq-10fx-ra...-polisher.html

I also think the PC comparable machines will typically be a little slower and require more downward pressure. The Rupes and Boss longer throw machines can work pretty fast with very little to almost no pressure. The extra orbit area helps to speed things up.

Post Thanks / Like

Beginners----- Griots 6" you won`t look back...Later down the line a smaller backing plate and Low throw pads.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by anderson3754 View Post
    I did not realize this question had already been asked 100,000 times before. Now that I know I need a more powerful buffer I'll simply buy one tomorrow. My bad for asking a question, won't happen again.

As far as buffing a whole car with a 3 inch pad, was not bad at all 1/2 of a 6 pack, 4 hours later, the car looks very nice and I learned a lot.

Regards
    Keep asking questions.... be a rebel. :-)

Consider using 4" microfiber pads and you will see the Griots has a place in your arsenal. For a 3" polisher it isn't bad but the thickness of the pads out there will impact how far the tool will go in any process.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KBsToy View Post
    Beginners----- Griots 6" you won`t look back...Later down the line a smaller backing plate and Low throw pads.
    what he said

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by briarpatch View Post
    what he said
    X3
    IMO, the Griot's is the "best buy" of the bunch, with a lifetime warranty, adaptability for 3 to 6 inch pads and decent correcting power, all for a reasonable cost. If you get really into it and buy one of the premium polishers later, you'll still find uses for the GG. Personally, I like the 5-5.5" pads with mine most of the time. Thinner pads are more effective and with a microfiber pad you can correct almost any defects you'd come across. I actually like the smaller 4" pads for wax, since they fit in many paste wax tins and get into most tight areas.

Bill

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast