autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: New D.A

Post Thanks / Like

New D.A

I'm going to get my gg6 da this afternoon. I have been detailing for a little over 10 years and have used a rotary buffer for all of them. I'm pretty excited to switch over to the dual action. What are the benefits of doing the 5-inch backing plate conversion. The kit that I'm getting already comes with a few pads for the 6-inch setup. It only makes sense to get the 5 inch conversion with some pads so I have both? Right?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New D.A

Congrats on the purchase...you will love your GG6. I got the 5-inch conversion and smaller pads just because the 6-inch plate and 6.5 inch pads seemed too cumbersome

Super Member coles_paint_correction's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

The gg6 does work nice. It was my first da and now I have a g21 griots.
    I would def recommend some kind of microfiber cutting pad though.

Post Thanks / Like

I love that little machine,I would take it over any other polisher a true workhorse with zero promblems and affordable.so if it breaks just get a new one.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by precisionmobile85 View Post
    I'm going to get my gg6 da this afternoon. I have been detailing for a little over 10 years and have used a rotary buffer for all of them. I'm pretty excited to switch over to the dual action. What are the benefits of doing the 5-inch backing plate conversion. The kit that I'm getting already comes with a few pads for the 6-inch setup. It only makes sense to get the 5 inch conversion with some pads so I have both? Right?
    The GG6 is a great machine!!! If you haven't placed your order yet call and try to get AG to substitute a 5" backing plate and 5.5" pads--I've read they have done it for others. In any case, even though the GG6 has the power to move the 6.5" pads, it is more effective using the 5.5" pads and performs better on curved/tight areas of the car. In addition the 5.5" pads are less expensive so with just your first purchase of pads you should save the cost of the 5" backing plate. You might also want to consider getting a 3.5" backing plate and some 4" pads for very tight spaces like the bumpers, pillars etc. BTW: I've had my GG6 for 5 years now and have never used the 6.5" pads.

Make sure you get enough pads: Here's a link to an article by Mike Phillips ---- http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...ut-my-car.html

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the info guys. Im definatly going to pick up the 5 inch conversion kit but in the meantime i ended up pickin up some griots pads. I am kinda confused on one of them. Its the fast finishing microfiber pad wich the description is kind of vauge. It makes it sound like it can be used forr cutting and polishing depending on the product being used. Ive mostly seen on this forum people using the mf pads for cutting. I also got some orange foam pads for compounding. Also what is a nice final polishing pad i should get? I thought i had a pretty good understanding on what pads are good for what but im kinda confused now. Like i said im new ro the dual action game. All i ever known was rotory style. Thanks for the input!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sure you'll have fun playing with your new toy, and you should! Congratulations. ... But if you're an old rotary guy there's a good chance that after playing with your DA for a while you'll still revert to using the rotary much of the time. The rotary is just so much more effective for anything but the most minor paint corrections.

My typical process is to use a rotary for initial corrections, followed by the DA for removing the rotary/compound haze, final polishing, and waxing.

You can do it all with a DA but being a "rotary guy" I doubt that you will ever completely retire your rotary. I know I haven't.

Post Thanks / Like

Yea i have that feeling as well. I just joined the forum a few months ago and seen the d.a. craze on here so i wanted to try it out. Also theres not much talk about rotary on here on a daily basis. Cant hurt to master both methods i guess. Dont think i could ever give up on old faithful dewalt rotary totaly! Thanks for the input

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.