autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

My BOSS MF pad melted!

I think I learned my lesson. Don't use the innerflex pad for an entire hood with one MF pad. I'm a newb to this whole DA thing. I've been using a rotary (Perfect-It 3 step system) on my '65 GTO for the last couple of years, but always ended up with holograms. I bought a new G6 with BOSS pads, innerflex and vented 5.5 backing plate. I put the innerflex pad on to work some fenders and just forgot to take it off(or didn't know any better). After about the 4th brush and air cleaning the pad just flew off down the driveway about 20 feet. Scared the heck out of me. I soon realized that the MF pad and the innerflex pad had melted together and separated at the foam. Don't think there's anything wrong with the pads, just something wrong with the user. Oh well, it's about a $40.00 mistake. One that I won't make again. I absolutely love the Griot's and the BOSS system combined, they really do work well together. I'm now thinking about the G15 or G21. The ability to choose almost infinite combinations is incredible. I was chasing down about 20 RIDS on my hood and found that after using Trizact 3000 then 5000 the MF and Fast Correcting Cream was able to erase all the scratches with 4 passes and 2 light(no pressure) passes. The hood looks better than it ever has. Thanks Griot's! Working a DA compared to a rotary is so less stressful.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My BOSS MF pad melted!-image_zpswodwl66w-jpg  

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: My BOSS MF pad melted!

Here's some more pics.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, still learning how to post pics from Photobucket

Post Thanks / Like

Unfortunately the Innerflex pad is known to generate heat with extended use so definitely only use it on complex curves when it's really needed. I still have my prototype Innerflex and it's still alive and kicking after 18+ months.

Contact Griot's too and they should send you a replacement.
    Quote Originally Posted by CieraSL View Post
    Wait! I know! Mirror, mirror against the grass, tell me who has kicked swirls' ass?
    http://Raskysautodetailing.com/

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like the MF pad may still be good too...hard to see with the innerflex backing still on it though.
    Wait! I know! Mirror, mirror against the grass, tell me who has kicked swirls' ass?

Post Thanks / Like

I had something very similar happen when I first bought a GG6. It turned out that the the GG6 was overheating. It would get almost too hot to touch after about 10 minutes of use. Even with swapping out pads, I destroyed 3 in a half hour session. I got the GG6 replaced under warranty and the new one has no issues like that at all and barely got warm this weekend with a marathon 10 hour session of polishing.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I was doing about 15 minutes on then break for about 15 and it was definitely too hot to touch. Maybe I should contact someone at Griot's. The MF pad is shot. I tried plyers to tear it off and it wouldn't budge. As you can see the backing plate is pretty much toast too. I'm afraid a pad could just fly off while polishing, so I'm waiting until the new one arrives. Thank God for 20% off this weekend!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy77 View Post
    I was doing about 15 minutes on then break for about 15 and it was definitely too hot to touch. Maybe I should contact someone at Griot's. The MF pad is shot. I tried plyers to tear it off and it wouldn't budge. As you can see the backing plate is pretty much toast too. I'm afraid a pad could just fly off while polishing, so I'm waiting until the new one arrives. Thank God for 20% off this weekend!!
    Griot's will take care of you, just give them a call.

Super Member Joe@NextLevelDetail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Thr innerflex is made just for the concave contoured panels.

You have no worries, email Griots and you will have a replacement.

Good to see the microfiber pad still intact those things are bulletproof.

Post Thanks / Like

What speed were you using? Speed will kill a pad especially since these horsepower wars are getting out of hand. The pads are just not designed to run at 6 for more than a few minutes. I've still got the "old" Rupes and rarely if ever run it at 5. These new compounds and polishes don't require supersonic speeds to correct and provide a showroom shine. The good old Porter Cable polisher still provides great results when put in the hands of an experienced detailer, or for that matter a novice with patience.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast