autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

What Pad to Use on New Black Challenger

Hi all. I recently purchased a 2016 Challenger (Pitch Black). I know, I know, I should have bought white. You'd think I would have learned my lesson coming from a black Grand Cherokee SRT. Anyhow, it has some minor swirls due to the dealer having put it through their wash. I have always done my own detailing (by hand) but last week I ordered a Griot's Garage 6" Random Orbital (HD version) with a 5" backing plate and Lake Country CCS 5-1/2" pads.

For the last fourteen or fifteen years I've been using Klasse AIO and Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze - but now with this new orbital am wanting to try something new. Actually I'm tired of doing it by hand and busting my a$$ with the Klasse. So I just ordered a bottle of 3D HD Speed. I am a little intimidated about learning to use an orbital on a brand new black car - maybe I should try on my son's car first (lol). Anyhow, do you think the orange pad would be too aggressive or should I go with the white pad?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What Pad to Use on New Black Challenger

Quote Originally Posted by Tico View Post
    Hi all. I recently purchased a 2016 Challenger (Pitch Black). I know, I know, I should have bought white. You'd think I would have learned my lesson coming from a black Grand Cherokee SRT. Anyhow, it has some minor swirls due to the dealer having put it through their wash. I have always done my own detailing (by hand) but last week I ordered a Griot's Garage 6" Random Orbital (HD version) with a 5" backing plate and Lake Country CCS 5-1/2" pads.

For the last fourteen or fifteen years I've been using Klasse AIO and Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze - but now with this new orbital am wanting to try something new. Actually I'm tired of doing it by hand and busting my a$$ with the Klasse. So I just ordered a bottle of 3D HD Speed. I am a little intimidated about learning to use an orbital on a brand new black car - maybe I should try on my son's car first (lol). Anyhow, do you think the orange pad would be too aggressive or should I go with the white pad?

Thanks in advance for your advice.
    Orange is perfect and what I pretty much use exclusively with Speed. You get excellent correction and excellent finish. Do the entire vehicle and then wipe the Speed off. I do about 5-6 section passes at a nice medium to slow speed arm speed 2 x 2 , maybe 3 x 3 area at a time. I generally run at 5-6 on the da and lighten up on my last pass to get a better finish. I always prefer to top with Poxy as it adds depth and durability and when machine applied it adds very little additional time yet the benefits are well worth it.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

I'll find out what this guy used, so you know what NOT to use...........

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by custmsprty View Post
    Orange is perfect and what I pretty much use exclusively with Speed. You get excellent correction and excellent finish. Do the entire vehicle and then wipe the Speed off. I do about 5-6 section passes at a nice medium to slow speed arm speed 2 x 2 , maybe 3 x 3 area at a time. I generally run at 5-6 on the da and lighten up on my last pass to get a better finish. I always prefer to top with Poxy as it adds depth and durability and when machine applied it adds very little additional time yet the benefits are well worth it.
    So don't wipe down after each panel - complete the whole car before wiping down. Won't it be tougher to remove the longer I wait?

Quote Originally Posted by ronkh57 View Post

OMG that's my exact car except that mine looks incredible compared to that one - plus the driver in mine looks better too (lol).

Post Thanks / Like

It was much worse in person. Both sides. You could see a circle where he stopped the buffer......

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Tico;1381072]So don't wipe down after each panel - complete the whole car before wiping down. Won't it be tougher to remove the longer I wait?

That's the beauty of Speed and their Polishes too. Ease of removal. You want to leave the Speed on to set up so that it leaves the protection of the Poxy blend after you wipe it off.
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ronkh57 View Post

He brought that to a car gathering?
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by custmsprty View Post
    He brought that to a car gathering?
    yep

Post Thanks / Like

To be honest seeing that picture has got me more concerned about learning to use an orbital on a black car. I am hoping that guy was just a moron or had a VERY bad detailer. Where did you take that picture? You should have handed him your detailer card.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tico View Post
    To be honest seeing that picture has got me more concerned about learning to use an orbital on a black car. I am hoping that guy was just a moron or had a VERY bad detailer. Where did you take that picture? You should have handed him your detailer card.
    Definitely a moron and that's not from a DA. On you're worst day you couldn't do that with a DA Polisher.
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast