autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

First timer - what next after Finishing Sealant?

Warning...I've never used a DA buffer before but am always willing to learn something new.

I recently picked up the Boss G15 Deluxe kit. I've neglected my black 2008 GMC Sierra Denali since owning it aside from car washes so it was in desperate need of some attention.

Initially I washed and clayed the entire vehicle. Then I started with the Fast Correcting Cream over the whole car with their Micro Fiber Pad, then onto the Perfecting Cream with their orange foam pad and finally onto the Finishing Sealant with their black foam pad.

It took me a good 30 hours to do all three steps over the course of a good 3-4 days...not sure if that is normal or just me learning.

I manged to disintegrate the Innerflex pad the second day of using it. My guess is it may have been used too long and got too warm. It did help with vibrations and make for a more comfortable experience...so I ordered another one and will use it more sparingly in the future.

I was extremely pleased with the results. And even eliminate some scratches that I thought were going to require alot more effort, steps and even other products. (See attached image of before/after)

My question is now that I've applied the Boss Finishing Sealant...how should I maintain the vehicle? I work from home and only put about 6k miles a year on the vehicle and it sits inside heated garage.

How long will the Finishing Sealant last on the vehicle? Should I apply the Griots Poly Wax in addition or would that not really improve the results?

Also, I'd like to work on buffing all the windows but it looks like they don't have a glass cleaning pad for the G15...should I just use the 6" pad?
    The final step I'd like to do is work on the headlights too. I can see scratches. Any tips and advice is appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails First timer - what next after Finishing Sealant?-20160328_181028_small-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

Re: First timer - what next after Finishing Sealant?

so to answer in my best ability, 30-40hrs your first time, multiple steps on a car that big! Don't let that get you down. I often spread details out over days on much smaller cars and you're still learning. In regards to the finishing sealant, if she just sits a lot in the garage, I'd say a 1x a week maintenance rinseless or waterless and a nice spray wax on top. Easy future proofing and will keep the car super glossed out!

Nice job!
    Back to the full-time grind.

Post Thanks / Like

2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the comments and suggestions. I'm glad to hear that the time spent is not abnormal.
    I wonder what that would have cost to have that done professionally given the time it takes.

So no need to go for the Griot's Poly Wax and another wax pad?

I attached another before and after of the corner bumper.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails First timer - what next after Finishing Sealant?-20160328_183228_beforeafter-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

No your are good to go as is. And since it's garaged that sealant will last along time, go with what CmyC said in post #2
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

The truck is looking great.

Quote Originally Posted by mcascio View Post
    So no need to go for the Griot's Poly Wax and another wax pad?
    No need. The finishing sealant should last you awhile. You can maintain it using a spray wax such as Griot's Spray On Wax if you choose to stay with the Griot's family.

You can save the Liquid Poly Wax for the next polish instead of the finishing sealant.

Post Thanks / Like

Great job!

The most important thing to remember about maintaining all that work is to ALWAYS use high quality microfiber towels whenever you touch your truck from now on. That's even more important with black vehicles. I had a black car for 15 years and wouldn't even touch the paint without a MF towel. If you find a good quick detailer that you like and use good towels, you won't need to do much more than add a coat of sealant or wax every month. And you shouldn't need to put in 30-40 hours at any given time from now on.

Post Thanks / Like

Regular washings with minimal pressure and dry the same (min to no pressure). I have been blown away by Pinnacle Crystal Mist on several different sealants.