autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Flex 3401 owners - help a newbie out

I've watched a ton of Mike's videos and have read a bunch of articles on the Flex 3401 and how you're able to work faster and correct the paint in less time. How is that accomplished vs using a PC?

Paint correction for Flex - work a 2x2 ft section, 6-8 section passes, and slow arm speed.

Paint correction for PC - work a 2x2 ft section, 6-8 section passes, and slow arm speed.

Identical - how is the Flex faster? Planning to upgrade to the new Flex machine later this year.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Flex 3401 owners - help a newbie out

i am the jump starter.

Post Thanks / Like

Simply put the Flex can do more work quicker.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by david b View Post
    I've watched a ton of Mike's videos and have read a bunch of articles on the Flex 3401 and how you're able to work faster and correct the paint in less time. How is that accomplished vs using a PC?

Paint correction for Flex - work a 2x2 ft section, 6-8 section passes, and slow arm speed.

Paint correction for PC - work a 2x2 ft section, 6-8 section passes, and slow arm speed.

Identical - how is the Flex faster? Planning to upgrade to the new Flex machine later this year.

Thanks!
    Forced rotation makes a huge difference. A 3401 is a totally different beast vs a DA polisher like a PC or GG6.

Post Thanks / Like

Subscribed. Just purchased a 3401 last week. Tossed around the idea of a GG6 or PC, but ultimately, that pink 3401 stole my cash!

Post Thanks / Like

The pad on a 3401 will maintain rotation regardless of pressure, or angle. On a random orbital, the pad can slow down or stall, especially when using more rigid foam pads, and/or encountering the various shapes found on the variety of automobiles a detailer can encounter. The forced action of the 3401 makes it incredibly effective at it's job. It can power through very tough situations, and even work with wool pads!

Personally, I work faster with the PC. The ability of the 3401 to maintain rotation, also limits the speed at which the pad rotates. While this is fantastic for some situations, I find myself reaching for the PC more often when I need high speed cutting, or one step polishing done.

One of the things I learned about the 3401 that have helped me, it re-loading the pad more towards the center. The 3401 doesn't seem to draw product towards the center like a PC style machine does. (Conversely, I reload the PC towards the outside edge of the pad.)

Post Thanks / Like

Well I started out with the PC. After about a year I bought a 3401. I never touched the PC until last weekend and that was becasue my 3401 was at another garage that I'm doing some cars at. I got the PC out to put some D 151 on my Jeep since it was 60 degress here in Pittsburgh on the weekend. I couldn't believe how hard it was to use the PC. it stoped at every curve and just didn't do what I was presently used to. I have a brand new Pink Flex in the box but wasn't ready to break it out yet but I learned a lesson. If you can afford it go for the Flex first.
    2011 Compass Latitude Bright Silver/ 2017 Nissan Rogue SV AWD Premium Glacier White
    REFLECTIVE IMAGE DETAILING

Post Thanks / Like

As you say "6-8 passes"

The FLEX will easily do in 6 passes; what takes the PC 8 or more passes

Unless I am chasing a deep random isolated scratch, I try to keep the compounding stage to 4 passes. I will get as aggressive as needed so I do not have to do more than 4 passes.

I always follow with a polishing step. I don't do AIO or one-step polishes.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks all for the feedback. Just working on my own vehicles as well as family/friends at the moment but want to expand. Thinking the Flex 3401 or the new Flex machine that'll be unveiled this year is the way to go.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by david b View Post
    Thinking the Flex 3401 or the new Flex machine that'll be unveiled this year is the way to go.
    the flex 3401 has been a proven workhorse for many many years and you can't go wrong with one. don't hesitate to pick this beast up...
    i am the jump starter.