autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Machine Polishers correction time(s)!!

All logical comments, Rasky. Thanks. And Dan Tran, i would think it is safe to say the 3401 is light years beyond say a PC however it may get murky comparing the Flex to Rupes or the Boss etc. It usually comes down to personal preference and i respect all of them. Even time to correct comes down to the "corrector". Good questions though.

And i have never used a wool pad on a DA machine other than a 4" purple foamed wool on glass. It just seems like too much weight to throw around (pad plus product) for a free spinning DA. I can understand the forced rotation of the Flex to do it just fine

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Puckman View Post
    All logical comments, Rasky. Thanks. And Dan Tran, i would think it is safe to say the 3401 is light years beyond say a PC however it may get murky comparing the Flex to Rupes or the Boss etc. It usually comes down to personal preference and i respect all of them. Even time to correct comes down to the "corrector". Good questions though.

And i have never used a wool pad on a DA machine other than a 4" purple foamed wool on glass. It just seems like too much weight to throw around (pad plus product) for a free spinning DA. I can understand the forced rotation of the Flex to do it just fine

Thanks for your thoughts and really everyone else who commented!

Everything mentioned makes sense.

Thanks again!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RaskyR1 View Post
    People need to keep in mind that the Flex is 8mm offset and the rotation is fixed, which maxes out at 480rpm. With the free spinning large throw DA tools, they are capable of producing far more rotation then the Flex 3401.
    And it's for this reason that I get much faster results with the PC.

Speed 6 on the PC can get cranking, and generate enough speed for me to do some serious cutting.

For my personal approach on the PC, I avoid stiff cutting and polishing pads, and adjust my angles to keep the pad spinning, when/if needed. Lighter pressure is also part of the equasion, as I'm using pad rotation opposed to pressure to cut the paint. It's not free spinning, but just under. Wetter liquids such as Ultimate Compound, M100, Ultimate Polish, and M205 also help keep the pad running smoothly.

Every time I'm pressed for time, I set the 3401 aside, get out the PC, and get work done.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RaskyR1 View Post
    People need to keep in mind that the Flex is 8mm offset and the rotation is fixed, which maxes out at 480rpm. With the free spinning large throw DA tools, they are capable of producing far more rotation then the Flex 3401.
    What are the RPM numbers for the popular tall stroke machines, under load?

Super Member Joe@NextLevelDetail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

On a open panel a large throw da is like miachel Jordan running on a fast break.

It corrects way faster then the flex with less presure.

On the countour panels, and bumpers that's when I bust out the flex.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NextLevelDtail View Post
    On a open panel a large throw da is like miachel Jordan running on a fast break.

It corrects way faster then the flex with less presure.

On the countour panels, and bumpers that's when I bust out the flex.
    Agree, both have their place. Flat panels the long strokes really shine(pun intended),on curves the 3401 is heavenly sent with still the orbital safety built in. For outright horsepower and defect removal the PE-14 can't be touched, it takes correction to a level where no DA can compare. Last, my old faithful DAS6(PC) is not as powerful as the others but that's not to say its not competent. It can do what all the others can do just takes alittle longer, but where it really struts its stuff for me and is head and shoulders above the others is with a 3.5" BP and 4" pads for spot defects,small tight areas, A,B pillars,bumpers,lights etc. Its a real gem. It keeps the 4" pad rotating easily, has tremendous amount of cut with a small pad whilst still having all the safety built in. You want a small pad DA? You can't beat a PC with a small BP/Pad combo.

Super Member Joe@NextLevelDetail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dlc95 View Post
    And it's for this reason that I get much faster results with the PC.

Speed 6 on the PC can get cranking, and generate enough speed for me to do some serious cutting.

For my personal approach on the PC, I avoid stiff cutting and polishing pads, and adjust my angles to keep the pad spinning, when/if needed. Lighter pressure is also part of the equasion, as I'm using pad rotation opposed to pressure to cut the paint. It's not free spinning, but just under. Wetter liquids such as Ultimate Compound, M100, Ultimate Polish, and M205 also help keep the pad running smoothly.

Every time I'm pressed for time, I set the 3401 aside, get out the PC, and get work done.
    Don't you have a duetto I know you love that thing, but I do know you love your PC too

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zubair View Post
    Agree, both have their place. Flat panels the long strokes really shine(pun intended),on curves the 3401 is heavenly sent with still the orbital safety built in. For outright horsepower and defect removal the PE-14 can't be touched, it takes correction to a level where no DA can compare. Last, my old faithful DAS6(PC) is not as powerful as the others but that's not to say its not competent. It can do what all the others can do just takes alittle longer, but where it really struts its stuff for me and is head and shoulders above the others is with a 3.5" BP and 4" pads for spot defects,small tight areas, A,B pillars,bumpers,lights etc. Its a real gem. It keeps the 4" pad rotating easily, has tremendous amount of cut with a small pad whilst still having all the safety built in. You want a small pad DA? You can't beat a PC with a small BP/Pad combo.
    Sweeeet! This has me confident I made the right choice in getting the boss 21 and my GG6 with 3.5inch BP w/4inch pads for what you outlined in your post.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NextLevelDtail View Post
    Don't you have a duetto I know you love that thing, but I do know you love your PC too
    Yep.

I've been practicing with it a lot on dummy panels. Turns out that I used WAY too much product with it, which caused tons of dust. Apparently you can adjust the caps to help regulate the amount of product delivered to the pad... Sometime when I get going, in the heat of battle - working against the outside elements I don't have the time to diagnose things I'm doing wrong, and go directly to my default mode that has worked for the last few years.

The other thing is that my shroud ground away, and I actually prefer using it with the shroud engaged. That could have been another reason the I got so much dusting. Seems by evening out the back plate rotation, and the stroke the pads and paint stay cooler and the product stays wetter.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12