autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pe-8 vs pe-14

Post Thanks / Like

Pe-8 vs pe-14

Morning,

I am thinking about picking up a rotary for faster work flow for headlights/ metal and wheels.

For now I am leaning towards to PE-8 start pack, which I think great value and seems like amazing tool for tight spot with extender.

but my concern is, does it have enough power for 7" backing plate and pads? or should I go PE-14 and get smaller pads?

I currently have

Rupes 21es,
    PC 7424xp
    GG 3"
    Please like my page

Jae @ ONYX Detail Garage

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pe-8 vs pe-14

They are designed for two totally different applications, you would need both. Kind of Like my Rupes Duetto and Mini.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by custmsprty View Post
    They are designed for two totally different applications, you would need both. Kind of Like my Rupes Duetto and Mini.
    That would be the dream but my wallet says no xD

Forgot to mention

I currently have

Rupes 21es,
    PC 7424xp
    GG 3"
    Please like my page

Jae @ ONYX Detail Garage

Post Thanks / Like

I have the PE-8 and the Rupes Mini, I rarely if ever use the PE-8 I prefer the Rupes Mini. The PE-8 is a purpose built tool as is the Ru[es Mini. The Big Difference is you can't screw anything up with the Mini and you can absolutely destroy headlights and tear up paint with the PE-8 if you don't pay attention 100% of the time when using it. You can't daydream with it for even a second.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your respond

Yes, DA and Rotary are two different machines, but there are situations I prefer rotaries over DA for faster cutting for hard surface and rotary is better choices tough angles and spots for not having throws.

but I am trying to decide between PE-8 and PE-14, not Rotary vs DA.

Just trying to stay on topic.
    Please like my page

Jae @ ONYX Detail Garage

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by choijw2 View Post
    I am thinking about picking up a rotary for faster work flow for headlights/ metal and wheels.

For now I am leaning towards to PE-8 start pack, which I think great value and seems like amazing tool for tight spot with extender.

but my concern is, does it have enough power for 7" backing plate and pads? or should I go PE-14 and get smaller pads?
    Why would you need the "7in. BP w/pads set-up"
    (RE: PE-14) for the detailing tasks you listed above?

The "PE-8 set-up" would seem more
    appropriate, IMO. That's what I use.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

For headlights, metal, and wheels, assuming you are talking about small areas of metal between the two the PE8. If you want to use it on the paint to speed that process up then PE14. If your looking to save time on overall jobs where you are doing all of the above I would say your going to save a lot more time using the PE14 on the paint then your going to save with a PE8 on the areas you mentioned. No the PE8 won't turn a 7" backing plate. You could probably get away with using a PE14 on some of the small areas you mentioned, I would be real careful though, that thing is a beast. Hope that helps some...
    2015 F-150 Crew Cab Lariat
    2016 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, mainly I am looking for edition for very tight spots and PE-8 seems perfect. but I started to get someone work trucks with tool boxes and I like to polish those tool boxes as well but DA didn't feel right.

I was hoping to be able to use 7" backing plate with wool pads on PE-8 for metal panel polishing.

Thanks
    Please like my page

Jae @ ONYX Detail Garage

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX650 View Post
    Why would you need the "7in. BP w/pads set-up"
    (RE: PE-14) for the detailing tasks you listed above?

Bob
    Sorry, I should've been more clear,

When I said "metals", it includes big metal tool boxes, panels with diamond patterns you see on trucks.

I don't polish those very often, so I was hoping... I can use 7" on PE-8.

I started polishing cars with rotary and maybe I should go back to rotary.... :/
    Please like my page

Jae @ ONYX Detail Garage

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by choijw2 View Post
    Yes, mainly I am looking for edition for very tight spots and PE-8 seems perfect. but I started to get someone work trucks with tool boxes and I like to polish those tool boxes as well but DA didn't feel right.

I was hoping to be able to use 7" backing plate with wool pads on PE-8 for metal panel polishing.

Thanks
    I had a PE-8 and if you used a 7" BP on it you would probably ruin the machine.

The instructions say you cannot go over 4" or you will void the warranty. Additionally, it is not powerful enough.

If it were me I would go straight to the PE-14 and buy all the necessary BP and Pads the PE-8 has. You could put them on the PE-14 and it could work. I would go with caution and with the right adapters it should work fine.

I sold my PE-8 as I could never master the rotary technique. I have converted my PC 7424 XP to handle the little duties. I have the 1" BP all the way up to 5" BP to handle the small jobs my Flex 3401 can't do.
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1