autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Revised Flex 3401?

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Wow, I guess this is all a big conspiracy, because my 3401 from 2008 doesn't even list wattage! It does say 120V 10.0 amps--so that's 1200 watts--beat that, mister!
    It seems to me as you are under the impression I am competing of some sorts. Re-read the posts, I want to know of the discrepancies and variations. Why are there different power ratings on the same machine.

Post Thanks / Like

And I think you are over-thinking the whole thing. I was just at the Flex North America site, and depending where you look the US version draws 10 amps or 10.9. Where they list the power input as 10.9 amps, they list the power output as 590 watts...which means that at a possible 1308W input, they are dissipating 718 watts as heat.

I'm saying they aren't very consistent with their labeling/documentation/etc. which I attribute to sloppiness, different countries having different labeling requirements, new owners, etc., while you attribute it to some technical change.

Just the fact that mine calculates out to 1200 watts, do you think in 2008 they were making a more powerful machine and now less so? The fact that there are so many different numbers to me just says translation error, method of calculation changes (ambient temps?) etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Since the Flex is known for not bogging down, I don't think it really matters if it's 900 or 1010 watts. I doubt anyone would notice that small of a difference anyway. I also agree with what others have already said, there's no way two tools can have the same voltage and amp rating and different wattage ratings, just not possible.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Rupes states 500W regardless, I find it hard to believe that a polisher renowned for German precision would make a mess of power ratings. And no its no conspiracy as responses like that are the only sensationalism on this thread. I'd really appreciate responses from those informed rather than hear from the mines is bigger than yours types. The differing power ratings is no coincidence or fault from a label maker. Do you guys honestly think so low of Flex to insinuate they can't even get labels right?

Post Thanks / Like

Do you honestly think so low
    of the following Scientists...

-Andre-Marie Ampere
    -James Watt
    -Alessandro Volta
    -Georg Simon Ohm

...to insinuate that they couldn't even
    get "electrical power figures" right?

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zubair View Post
    Rupes states 500W regardless, I find it hard to believe that a polisher renowned for German precision would make a mess of power ratings. And no its no conspiracy as responses like that are the only sensationalism on this thread. I'd really appreciate responses from those informed rather than hear from the mines is bigger than yours types. The differing power ratings is no coincidence or fault from a label maker. Do you guys honestly think so low of Flex to insinuate they can't even get labels right?
    I'm sorry you consider my input to be "sensationalism"; I would prefer to consider it rationalism. The Flex is sold internationally; you've got CE, UL, DIN, and who knows what other standards to adhere to. It may be that they each have different "rules" for specifying power, it may be that Flex's internal "rules" have changed over time--how else do you explain that my 2008 nameplate doesn't list wattage while yours does? I don't think they "forgot" to put the watts on mine, I just think they've changed the way they label the machines over time.

Besides, I think you are overthinking/overstating the importance of the nameplate ratings to the performance of the machine--the labeling requirements are so the user can make sure the circuit they are using isn't going to be overloaded--it's not some precise calculation of the performance or efficiency of the machine.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Would be nice to get some feedback though from a Flex technical representative. Right now we all assuming and all have opinions. Personally the machine is powerful enough and doesn't make any difference to me whether 900W or 1010W as either will get the job done. My curiosity however gets the better of me and I sometimes like it to be put to rest.

PS. Typing/Texting almost always gets misconstrued or misunderstood where if the person you were directing it at was infront of you they would infact understand it fully. A keyboard/pad doesn't have the ability to voice tone of statements.

Post Thanks / Like

I think Eric "The Pad Man" went to work for Flex, why don't you PM him and invite him to join the thread?

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...e-pad-man.html

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    I think Eric "The Pad Man" went to work for Flex, why don't you PM him and invite him to join the thread?

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...e-pad-man.html
    Thanks I have sent a PM.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Just an update, I was at the detailing shop where I purchased my Flex. We powered up both my 1010W and 900W polishers and the 1010W is more mechanical sounding if that makes any sense. They do sound and startup different. The store owner didn't know of the difference till I brought it up and also was certain its not just a label change. The 1010W was audibly louder.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast