autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Flex - first time experience

First, I would like to say thanks to all the forum members on this site. As a weekend warrior, where every minute is important, I am always reading/researching time vs results. Clearly, the more time you have (as a hobbyist) the better result you will have and since most of us don't have unlimited time maximizing this ratio is critical.

Last year I purchased a black GS 350 and wanted to ensure that the paint stayed in good shape. After doing a ton of research I went all in with the rupes system (pads, polishers, and polishes). I had the 15, Duetto, mini, more pads that i could count and polishes. After spending hours researching the various "techniques" and such I, unfortunately, scrapped the whole system. My reasoning was that, regardless what others may think, Rupes, as well as every other DA polishers that is not forced rotation, will stop if the pad is not flat. Most importantly, modern cars, with all the curvy panels make these non-forced DA almost impossible to polish unless you have tons of time. No doubt anyone can get it to work if you can spend 1 hr on a 2x2 section, but these so called techniques to me are just like the mythical unicorn. You hear about it, see pictures of them but never see it live. I think it is time that anyone who has the technique, please film it and post to these forums since I would love to know how to make it spin on a curvy/vertical panel. And I can state unequivocally I tried very very hard to make this system work. Super slow arm speed, tilting the machine back and forth, washer mod, etc. I read and tried it all. I actually wound up polishing the whole car with the mini and that took 20 hours and it came out marginal.

End result was a $3k loss or so. I ebay all the stuff for basically nothing. Now onto the Flex.

Initial Impressions:

- This machine is a beast. It is not that heavy, the trigger is smooth (meaning it locks into place very easily), it is easy to swap the backing plate to the LC 4 inch, and at least for me operates perfectly. (Please make sure to buy ear plugs though - any DA is loud and I couldn't believe how much better one can operate the machine with the reduced volume - not sure why though).
    - I started on my dad's car since I wanted to see what this machine could do on a test car - 2009 Ford Taurus Blue Metalic.
    - Products - White hybrid, 4 inch LC backing plate and Menzerna 3in1. Wash Clayed car first.
    - I followed somewhat the Tato technique - 2 hard passes, 2 medium passes and 2 weight of the machine passes.
    - After the first 2x2 section was done I was like "WOW" what a machine. I actually had fun polishing for the first time.
    - I continued on the whole car and where this tool shines is on the curvy/vertical panels. It took no time to finish the doors, bumpers, etc. The smaller areas (behind the side mirrors) you still need a mini since it won't fit.
    - What was really great was that I finally good the nice looking buffer trails on the whole car. I can state that on curvy vertical panels with the Rupes you got polish that was just moved around, no real nice buffer trails and minimal correction.
    - The whole process took no more than 6 hrs and the car came out great - one step below show car finish - all the freakin swirls were removed. I literally couldn't believe it and it was just fun to do this project. Every time with the Rupes i was very frustrated, angry, upset etc since the damn pad would stop every 5 seconds the minute it hit anything curvy and vertical. Sorry, but Rupes has some real issues and this is well documented in various places on these forums.

Final Thoughts:

Contrary to what is generally said, the Flex is the better tool for the weekend warrior AND for the newbie. My reasoning is that the newbie doesn't have to learn these "special techniques", just prime the pad and polish. I initially thought that the paint may burn or some other catastrophe may happen with the Flex but was that way overblown. You really can't damage the paint at all if you are just a little careful. As we all see tons of questions about Rupes vs Flex, for me at least and if you are a newbie/weekend warrior, the answer is clear - get the Flex (and this is from someone who spent a ton of money on Rupes). The whole thing about the smoothness of the Rupes is probably very important for the professionals whom perform details every day year in and year out but again I didn't find the Flex to be any different than the Rupes in terms of ease of use / smoothness. Finally, we hear comments about the Flex walking on you and such and I did have that happen but I didn't really care, I just strong forced the pad on the panel and got the beautiful buffer trails. Man that was a great feeling as I knew that the paint was being corrected. All in all the Flex is really remarkable.

Appreciate any comments and thanks for reading (sorry to be long-winded but I really hope this at least helps some in their decision).

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Flex - first time experience

thanks for the review

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mbpress01 View Post
    Appreciate any comments and thanks for reading (sorry to be long-winded but I really hope this at least helps some in their decision).
    Thanks! After 9 yrs with a PC, and around 3 with the GG, I finally bought a Flex last week. Your "long-winded" post reinforces my decision! I'm sure I will have no regrets!

Post Thanks / Like

I have the Rupes 15 and have been really considering switching to the Flex system to speed up my heavy correction. the rupes was a huge step up from my PC, but just doesn't hit the mark i need it to.

Post Thanks / Like

Buy the flex. Unfortunately you will wind up shelving the rupes as time is money and flex is just a beast. As I said above, time vs results is key for me and flex not only nailed that ratio but it is just more fun to use. I realize it is a lot of money but it is worth it. FYI I just bought another one - one for 4 inch plate and another with the factory plate. Changing plates takes too much time - I just want to polish and admire my work. Lol.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mbpress01 View Post
    I just want to polish and admire my work. Lol.
    Well said ^^

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you! This definitely helps some of reinforce my thoughts, and findings thus far

Post Thanks / Like

The Flex counter rotates, right? Did it take you a while to get used to it rotatingopposite of the other polishers?

Post Thanks / Like

Regarding counter rotating, another non-issue from people that probably haven't used it. Counter rotation was nothing and didn't make a bit of difference. It took me, say, 3 seconds, to get used to this machine. That is what makes this tool so outstanding. It spins non-stop no matter hard you press or the angle of attack. I tell you I spent hours with the best Rupes tools and man what a difference Flex is. The pleasure of getting polishing work done far outweighs supposed smoothness, its ridiculous. I am starting to think that these non-forced DAs overtime will go the way of the Dinosaur - they don't make a lot of sense to me if you want to keep your car swirl free in a minimal amount of time. I think the general appeal has been there low cost vs the flex but that is not the case anymore. The Rupes, new Boss, etc are all expensive. Better to spend the extra and just go with something that works. I truly am all in on the Flex.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 99monguse View Post
    The Flex counter rotates, right? Did it take you a while to get used to it rotatingopposite of the other polishers?
    I've heard this brought up before. My guess is that it is a factor for guys that do this day in, day out. You learn instinctively which direction to approach a curve, panel, etc. as you've done it a hundred times and you know the direction the tool wants to go. The Flex reverses that, and since it will walk on you much easier, the approach is much more important, IMO.

It kind of plays against your instincts if you've been at it for a while. For those of us that do this maybe twice a year? Non issue, as you have to relearn all that technique anyway.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast