autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Light Weight Buffer for body pain?

Okay guys got a loaded question for everyone. Im an auto dealer in california that specializes in 90's Hondas and Toyotas with low miles. Every car I get, receives claybar, buff, polish, and wax. Unforunately its hard to find a good detailer and I end up doing all the cars myself and its killing my arms and back. Every morning I wake up and my elbows crack and pop. I'm currently using a FLEX LK603 to do all my buffing and I feel like this heavy beast is part of my problem.

I'm thinking about buying a lightweight buffer but dont know if it will have enough juice to really cut thru the heavy nasty chalky paint I deal with.

Any recommendations? Should I spend the money on the lightest buffer I can find? Think it wil help my body? Which model?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Light Weight Buffer for body pain?

Are you staying hydrated? Any prior injury? Keeping good posture and stretching? There are also supplements for the popping that can help joints.

I know a lot of older guys who do similar volumes of work and they're always outrunning the younger kids because they take care of themselves first and foremost. You could also try the Rupes - larger throw means less time spent working. Your polisher is about 7.5lbs. The Flex 3401 and Rupes are both 5.73 as far as I can tell. Not sure how much of a different ~2lbs makes.

Also, what are you using for claying? A clay alternative such as the Nanoskin towel or pads could drastically cut down on your time if you aren't already using them.

Post Thanks / Like

The best lightweight rotary buffer on the market is probably the Flex Pe14. It's priced at $400. Compact, lightweight, but powerful and a durable machine. However, the process you use can be a major factor in pain and soreness. If you're working non stop, no matter what you do this type of work is a workout. There are tools to use to get more done with the amount of time you put in. Take a look at the new Nanoskin clay substitute products. These are designed to greatly reduced claying time and effort in decontamination. Bigger pads with the buffer gets more surface area covered in less time. And fast cutting but bright finishing compounds are excellent. Meguiar's M100, M101, M105. I like those because they cut fast, I don't have to wait to break down the abrasives for an extending time before removing, and they finish great. Look into some all in one type products as well that cut polish and protect in one step. Also, you can largely train employees now to be effective with safer dual action polishers, utilizing many of the newer compounds pads and polishes that have amazing results without rotary buffers.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I take care of myself, but these cars aren't your everday projects. I'm basically restoring old 20 year paint thats been neglected. This isn't doing 2010's and up that are nice and you just make them look amazing. This is full on correction. I use the double sided 3M compound pad, 3M 36060 for compound. I'll check out that new clay recommended for sure.

That Flex is what I've been looking at but considering the price I want to make sure it will be worth it.

Thanks

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Are you spinning 9" pads on that machine?

LK 603 VVB - Car Polishing - FLEX North America, Inc.

The PE-14 weighs about 2lbs less

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cody View Post
    Okay guys got a loaded question for everyone. Im an auto dealer in california that specializes in 90's Hondas and Toyotas with low miles. Every car I get, receives claybar, buff, polish, and wax. Unforunately its hard to find a good detailer and I end up doing all the cars myself and its killing my arms and back. Every morning I wake up and my elbows crack and pop. I'm currently using a FLEX LK603 to do all my buffing and I feel like this heavy beast is part of my problem.

I'm thinking about buying a lightweight buffer but dont know if it will have enough juice to really cut thru the heavy nasty chalky paint I deal with.

Any recommendations? Should I spend the money on the lightest buffer I can find? Think it wil help my body? Which model?

Thanks
    I have the same problems as you do. I'm in my mid sixties and have a lot of aches and pains.

I purchased a Flex PE14 a few months ago and it's the finest buffer I have ever used. I haven't had it long enough to give an opinion on what kind of hard use it can take.

I can say after many years of using Makita buffers that they will take as much punishment as you want to give them. I think the latest model is a little more than a pound heavier than the Flex. It doesn't seem like much but after using it all day the extra weight does make a difference.

I think I read somewhere that the Makita is the number one machine used by pros in the world.

I think either one would be worth buying. The Flex seems to be extremely well built. I would have to rate it on top with the Makita coming in a close second. Hope this helps a little.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like you're not feeding your body what trying take from it. Take a multivitamin manufactured for joint health. Further, research what your body needs, as far as intake goes, to concede flexibility and lubrication. Hydration, with electrolytes, is an absolute necessity to performing sustained physical activity. Hydrate!

You may also want to evaluate your posture, hand positions, and your range of motion. I'm sure you're confident in the results you produce, but abstaining to a strict method/ movement/ pattern may be a big reason you're in pain. Mix it up a bit. Practice ambidexterity, hold your machine upside down, reverse your paths.These things can be done, and can help ease your pain. Trust a guy that's been using Flex and Makita machines since he was 13!

Sincerely hope this all helps in the future, and hopefully improves your ability to achieve the results you strive for less painfully.
    http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=71880&dateline=142020  6364

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Belphegor View Post
    Sounds like you're not feeding your body what trying take from it. Take a multivitamin manufactured for joint health. Further, research what your body needs, as far as intake goes, to concede flexibility and lubrication. Hydration, with electrolytes, is an absolute necessity to performing sustained physical activity. Hydrate!
    ly.
    Waste of Money

No good clinical studies to prove efficacy

The rest of your suggestions are good advice

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by allenk4 View Post
    Waste of Money

No good clinical studies to prove efficacy
    Plenty of people that actually take supplements swear by them. Myself being one of them. They've produced very obvious improvements for me. I couldn't care less if anyone else believes it or not.

Cody, you might consider taking collagen hydrolysate. There's a brand you can find on amazon called Great Lakes Gelatin. Read up on it and see if it might help.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by allenk4 View Post
    Are you spinning 9" pads on that machine?

LK 603 VVB - Car Polishing - FLEX North America, Inc.

The PE-14 weighs about 2lbs less
    Yes, my thought as well...
    I can't stand anything above 6" and more than speed 2 with any rotary or forced rotation machine.