autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

DIY>cutting Flex 3401,5.5" stock plate to 5" for 5.5 flat pads

A few days ago I got my Flex 3401. I also bought the LC plate system but the Hybrid pads I ordered were replaced with 5.5 flats.
    AG is taking care of the mix-up.

In the meantime I was thinking about using the stock 5.5 for my 5.5 flat pads.
    By now everyone knows about the edge to edge velcro. The pad fits but I like a little bit more of a tolerance level.

[

Those three pictures show how close it is. The velcro edge to pad edge bothers me with the 7/8 flat pads.

I decided to cut the Flex backing plate down and the velcro on the back of the pad to make a more comfortable working environment for me.

This shows the cut Flex plate on stock 5.5 pad

Next is my 45degree and about a 1/4" off the pad

I am confident this is an easy workable solution.

and a buffer zone

Thanks for looking AG

Post Thanks / Like

Re: DIY>cutting Flex 3401,5.5" stock plate to 5" for 5.5 flat pads

i'm not a fan of the of the 5.5 pads with the velcro extended to the edge as well. they should make them thin and with the velcro cut in just like the hydro-tech pads...

Post Thanks / Like

spazzz, how do you cut it down?

Post Thanks / Like

great solution and problem solving.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe I'm missing something....you cut the stock Flex backing plate down to fit the Lake Country flat pads because AG did not send you the Hybrids that you ordered. However, now that "cut" backing plate will not fit the Hybrid pads perfectly. Isn't that counterproductive?
    There is vast amounts of knowledge at your fingertips, use Google, Youtube, and the search button.

Mike Phillips

Just to comment...

Don't matter me if you cut down your backing plate to fit and use thin foam pads but here's the deal.

Thin pads are really only important when using free rotating dual action polishers.

It's a non-issue with gear driven dual action polishers and also rotary buffers.

In fact sometimes you're better off with a thicker foam pad than a thinner foam pad when using gear driven tools. The push for thin pads for free rotating tools is simply to get and maintain pad rotation with these types of tool, which is again a non-issue with gear driven tools.

Me? Personally I prefer thin pads on free rotating tools and thicker pads on gear driven tools. I would never go out of my way to use a thin pad on the Flex 3401 if and when normal traditional thicker pads are already available.

I'm pretty sure I shared this in my Flex 3401 book too. Also anyone that's ever used a thin microfiber pad on a Flex 3401 knows where the term grabby came from.

Just thought I would throw that out their for all the newbies and lurkers that will read this thread into the future.

For what it's worth...

Post Thanks / Like

I have the stock Flex Backing Plate and their 4 3/8 inch backing plate along with Lake Country's Backing Plate system (4" and 7" which is now discontinued). I have been extremely happy with the 5" and 6.5" Lake Country Hybrid pads. I will not use any other pads so a modified plate will not be necessary for me.

Your modification looks sound and I am still trying to figure out how you made such a nice 'round" cut. Either way I do see uses for your modification if you use pads that are not the "hybrids". Either way, way cool and thank you for showing us this.
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Post Thanks / Like

For me it was to make use of my LC flats. I don't like the velcro extending out that far and the Flex pad right along with it. It was to much of an accident waiting to happen.

It was more economic for me to carve a Flex backing plate and LC flats then to restock the same amount of pads that would buffer the edge of the uncut 5" backing plate

I do use the Hybrids and wanted the option of the flats on the Flex. They do work rather well I must say. I especially like the red CCS for applying sealant/wax on the roof with one hand when needed. On 2.5 I get more control and less side to side give. I actually prefer that over the black Hybrid.

If I was to get fat pads I would get some for the 6.5 plate.
    Maybe not ideal for everyone but has worked well for me.

The round cut was done with the Milwaukee scissors in the first pic.

Post Thanks / Like

Just a little update to my thread.

I really like the 5' Hybrids on my LC interchangeable 4"backing plate.

Wanting to try the new LC Force(updated Hybrids) pads I decided to comb down the 5.5 plate plastic a bit.
    After the cut with the scissors, seen in the second to last picture in first post, the velcro is tapered in from the plastic frame.
    I wanted the plastic frame smaller.

I sized a washer to fit the mounting hole along with the matching sized 2" bolt secured from the other side with a nut.

Grabbing my cordless and 12" coarse metal file I secured the bolt in the drill and started filing away.
    It was done with one hand holding the file on the table and one with the drill backing plate.

Then Benjamin santa clause got me some Force pads.....the now useful(to me) stock 5.5"backing plate spins some wickedly nice pads.