autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Flex backing plate question

Can I use the factory flex 4 3/8 backing plate for the XC3401VRG with the 5" LC Hybrid Pads?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Flex backing plate question

As far as I know, no you can't. The 5" hybrids actually have a 4" velcro on the back

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by java View Post
    Can I use the factory flex 4 3/8 backing plate for the XC3401VRG with the 5" LC Hybrid Pads?

If you're a better man than me when it comes to placing a smaller velcro backing surface onto a larger velcro surface and at the same time ensuring the pad is centered onto the backing plate.

The key to centering a pad onto a backing plate is to have the backing plate a tick smaller than the back of the pad so your eyes can see what you're doing.

That or like some pads, have the velcro backing recessed a little but also still smaller or exact fit to the backing plate.

When you do the opposite, that is the backing plate is larger than the diameter of the back of the pad you simply cannot see if you're correctly aligning the two parts and these leaves you with guessing.

It's important to have your pads centered on your backing plates and even more so with the gear driven, forced rotation Flex 3401.

I cover every backing plate available for the Flex 3401 in my how-to book and recommended pads for each backing plate size. In this book I don't recommend trying to use the 5" Hybrids with their 4" velcro backing on the 4 3/8" backing plates.

What I do state on page 12 is that the Flex 4 3/8" backing plates "can" be used with 5.5" and 6" pads but then it's a little undersized. There are some microfiber pads and foamed wool pads that fit this backing plate the best but I'm not a huge fan of using microfiber pads on the Flex 3401. I do like using wool pads like traditional wool pads used on rotary buffers on the Flex 3401 and mostly for boat detailing.

On Autogeek.net

How to use the Flex XC 3401 VRG Dual Action Polisher
    For both Production Detailing & Show Car Detailing

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Post Thanks / Like

Glad I saw this because I was looking at using them based on description of the 5" Hybrid pads.
    Lake Country Hybrid Power Finish 5 Inch Foam Pads

"The backing material on each pad is 4 inch, which makes it self-centering on the Flex XC3401 VRG Orbital Polisher equipped with the Changeable Backing Plate System. With all other applications, a 3.5 to 3 3/4 inch backing plate is suitable."

Post Thanks / Like

Java and Rommel,,

The Flex 3401 runs the best using the LC Hybrid pads which has been gone over tons on the forum. Mike highly suggests the usage of these pads over anything else.

Get the LC Backing Plate SYSTEM, and it will have the 4" plate that you will need to use the 5" pads ( the one sold separately is the 4 3/8in which you don't want). The 5" pads are the best size to maximize the 3401's potential. The backing plate, pad, and machine are perfectly matched in this combination. Go larger and it functions great, but you will have the best results using the 5" pads. I am speaking from personal experience utilizing every pad, MF, size, and compounds, and polishes there is on this machine and I will say the results i get are amazing using the 4" plate and 5" pads.

This combination almost transformed this machine for me, and I am so happy now that I have it set up perfectly.

Hope this helps, and I took Mike Phillips advice in doing this and of course it worked out perfect.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies everyone.
    If you don't want to buy lc's bp system to run the 5” hybrids, you could use a 6" pad cut down a bit to work with your 4/38" bp.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by expdetailing View Post
    If you don't want to buy lc's bp system to run the 5” hybrids, you could use a 6" pad cut down a bit to work with your 4/38" bp.
    The only reason I'm looking at the factory Flex plate is because of the breaking issue of the LC backing plate.

Post Thanks / Like

The only reason I'm looking at the factory Flex plate is because of the breaking issue of the LC backing plate.
    Is this as big an issue as it's reported? I am interested in the kit myself, but not if they break easily.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SSTG View Post
    Is this as big an issue as it's reported? I am interested in the kit myself, but not if they break easily.
    I would bet that the ones that have broken the Customers complained and wrote in here somewhere. ALL the ones that didn't break or crack, no one said anything.

Also, it is likely that production users are the ones that have had them crack under heavy usage. The average person probably won't have any issue and if so would be rare and could possibly contact AUtogeek about it. Or LC

I personally used for 4 months the 4 3/8's plate with the 5" pads. I had no problem at all using them. I just made sure the pad was centered very closely for smooth operation. So if it worries you so much then just get the 4 3/8 plate and be done with it. I got the LC kit just to get the right one, no issues so far.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast