autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Re: Flex backing plate question

Quote Originally Posted by SSTG View Post

Is this as big an issue as it's reported?

I am interested in the kit myself, but not if they break easily.

It's not a problem. Do yourself a huge favor and ket the kit.

It's one of those things where thousands of people that don't have any problems also don't start threads on forums stating they don't have any problems.

They just move on in life using their Flex polisher.

When their is the exception to the rule once in a while a post about it ends up on a forum somewhere.

It's definitely the exception not the rule. Also, Lake Country addressed the issue with a specific washer and spacer for the 6" backing plate.

There hasn't been a repetitive issue with the 4" backing plate and for what it's worth, I've never used the 6" backing plate just the 4" backing plate.

Most people buying the adapter system are doing so JUST to get the 4" backing plate so they can burn and turn 5" Hybrid pads.

The 6" comes in the kit but it won't do anything you can't already do with the 5.5" from the Flex factory that comes on the Flex 3401.

So the breaking issue is for the most part only about the backing plate most people will never use thus it's really a non-issue to start with and again... Lake Country addressed the issue with a specific washer and spacer FOR THE 6" BACKING PLATE ONLY.

And.... I cover all of this on 6 to 8 of my how-to book for the Flex 3401 with LOTS of pictures.

I don't hesitate recommending to people to purchase the Lake Country Backing Plate Adapter System to anyone, both in person and of course in my new how-to book.

I also taught Brandon and Marius at F40.com how to use this mod on their Flex 3401 when working on Wayne Carini cars.

If the 4" backing plate does break, chances are it's from one of two reasons,

1. Abusive punishment

2. Using the WRONG washer. The 4" backing plate comes with a dedicated washer and bolt.

3. Over tightening the bolt.
    All three of the above are operator errors.

If you own a Flex 3401 and don't have the LC adapter kit or if you're going to buy a Flex 3401 then I HIGHLY recommend getting the LC adpater kit so you can use the 5" Hybrid Pads.

The ability to use both large and small pads with the Flex 3401 enables YOU to maximiuze your time and energy. You can work faster and do better work. You don't have to get it right away but definitly put it on your must have list.

FLEX XC3401 Changeable Backing Plate System

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Mike. Received the Backing plate kit and LC Hybrid pads today. I've had my Flex since they first came out and am no stranger to it, but with all the hype of the Hybrid pads, I want to give this system a try.

Post Thanks / Like

I have used the Lake Country Backing Plate system with no issues at all. My guess is that the universal backing plate needs to be correctly mounted. It must fit in the Flex shaft properly. My guess if it is not mounted correctly then damage to the plates can occur. That is the only reason why it would break.

Again, I have no issues with the LC Backing Plate system and I use it quite often.

I do dab a little oil around the Flex gears for lubrication purposes.

IMO, the Flex Backing Plate is an awesome system. The original flex backing plate is a good one too.
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by SSTG View Post

Thanks Mike. Received the Backing plate kit and LC Hybrid pads today. I've had my Flex since they first came out and am no stranger to it, but with all the hype of the Hybrid pads, I want to give this system a try.
    Please do let us know what you think...

Also, it's less about the actual foam resin or form formula and more about the size and fitment to the Flex 3401. The foam formula used to make the Hybrid line of foam pads does in my opinion work very well for the Flex 3401 and for Rotary Buffers. It's very possible the same size and shape of the Hybrid pads could be made using the foam resin used to make the LC Flat Pads or the LC Hydro-Tech pads and the pads on the Flex 3401 would still work great.

I'm sure I listed all the reasons the 5" Hybrid pads are great for the Flex 3401 in my newest and most recent how-to book for this tool. I'm proof positive I did as I went on to strongly recommend this mod and upgrade for this tool in the book.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamakaz1961 View Post

I have used the Lake Country Backing Plate system with no issues at all. My guess is that the universal backing plate needs to be correctly mounted. It must fit in the Flex shaft properly. My guess if it is not mounted correctly then damage to the plates can occur. That is the only reason why it would break.
    While what you stated is 100% accurate and I share high resolution pictures showing exactly how to attach these backing plates and adapters to the Flex on page 6 to page 9 of my how-to book I know the breaking issue in the PAST had to do with the stress to the plastic from the bolt and that's why there's a WASHER and a SHIM, (that's 2 things), that Lake Country engineered for the 6" backing plate.

The 4" backing plate just uses a single washer but it is different than the factory washer and I show this in the how-to book also.

I will say that all backing plates do wear out and sometimes some backing plates (all manufactures for all tools) do break.

From experience, when I see or hear of a backing plate breaking it's also almost always happening to a tool that is being used a lot. As in a high production shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamakaz1961 View Post

IMO, the Flex Backing Plate is an awesome system. The original flex backing plate is a good one too.
    I agree. More than half of the Flex 3401 polishers in our garage are set-up with the 4" backing plate. I think we have around a dozen Flex 3401's in the Show Car Garage for our classes. I've been doing this a while, I know what works best when teaching people to use the Flex 3401 for the first time and smaller pads are better.

You learn to walk before you learn to run...

Post Thanks / Like

Do any of the Flex 3401 kits sold on AG come with the LC backing plate kit and hybrid pads? I've been looking but couldn't find. Perhaps I'm overlooking

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Mike, I just got your Flex Book and it appears that it must be available in electronic form also as there are numerous entries that look like links. Is there an electronic version?

Great book by the way .... makes me much more comfortable in being able to effectively use the Flex.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jcb27 View Post
    Do any of the Flex 3401 kits sold on AG come with the LC backing plate kit and hybrid pads? I've been looking but couldn't find. Perhaps I'm overlooking

No, no kits have the system. Get the system when you order the Flex. You will be glad you have it. The Hybrids are the way to go in the 5" without a doubt. The system is built well and I cannot see how or why it would have any issues. They 4 3/8 plate works, but for the $20 extra get the kits. I have both, and the 4" in the system is so much better to use.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeva View Post
    Mike, I just got your Flex Book and it appears that it must be available in electronic form also as there are numerous entries that look like links. Is there an electronic version?

Great book by the way .... makes me much more comfortable in being able to effectively use the Flex.
    I don't think the book is in digits. Only paper copy, I would purchase it in digits if it were.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    ....I share high resolution pictures showing exactly how to attach these backing plates and adapters to the Flex on page 6 to page 9 of my how-to book I know the breaking issue in the PAST had to do with the stress to the plastic from the bolt and that's why there's a WASHER and a SHIM, (that's 2 things), that Lake Country engineered for the 6" backing plate.

The 4" backing plate just uses a single washer but it is different than the factory washer and I show this in the how-to book also.
    Your instructions aside Mike, I have a question. (Especially for those that may not have the book.)

Being as Lake Country has included a dedicated bolt, a thick washer, and TWO shims, what puzzles me is WHY there are no instructions what-so-ever. If indeed they only intend for the shims, 1 shim, 2 shims, whatever.... to be used with only ONE of the two interchangeable backing plates, then it just makes sense that they include those instructions.

So from what you are saying, you'd not used their bolt even? That's unless you were mounting the 4" backing plate?

Seems I remember that the OEM bolt/washer doesn't even fit inside the Lake Country drive plate.

It'd help to have clarification, which shims *how many* with which BP?
    Inquiring minds and all that.

Thanks, Cardaddy /AKA - Tony
    Detailed Reflection Auto Spa

Mike Phillips

I think due to the volume of work everyone has on their plates here at Autogeek, especially heading into the holidays, there has not been time to convert the how-to book into an ibook yet. But that is normally the plan.

About the hyper-links in the print version.

I type those links and title when I type out the book. I do this because since I wrote my articles I know where they're at and when they match the topic in the book. So when I'm typing I take a few minutes to also type a title and the actual full accurate hyper-link. Yancy doesn't know every article I've written so he can't do this plus even if he did know every article I wrote it would be a huge time killer to make him hunt down the articles and snag both the title and the link. So I do it while I"m typing out the words for any book.

Then I hand the manuscript off to Yancy who prepares it for publishing.

Of course you cannot use your finger to press on paper and have a link show up on your computer. The links are for the ibook version.

The reason they are in the paperback version is for an additional resource to the reader.

If you type the words in any hyper-link you're interested in into Google and add my name Mike Phillips the article will/should pull up. (Try it and see)

The hyper links will take you to information that is related to the topic where you find the hyperlink words in the print version.

I think it's better to include them and let the reader decide if they are interested enough to use Google to locate them or not. It's really simple to do.

You can also use the search feature on the forum or start a thread and ask for help locating the article.

Stripping them out would prevent this question you ask but it would also not provide further help to the reader. I would rather provide more help than less help.

There's a benefit to the electronic version and that is the online resources available by clicking the link.

I hope that makes sense...

Thank you. I worked very hard on it and it is very thorough and accurate.

I know the Flex company also really likes it.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by cardaddy View Post

Your instructions aside Mike, I have a question. (Especially for those that may not have the book.)

Being as Lake Country has included a dedicated bolt, a thick washer, and TWO shims, what puzzles me is WHY there are no instructions what-so-ever.

If indeed they only intend for the shims, 1 shim, 2 shims, whatever.... to be used with only ONE of the two interchangeable backing plates, then it just makes sense that they include those instructions.

Great question Tony.

Before I answer... do you have the adapter kit? Or a copy of my book?

I think I can better answer your question with this information.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast