autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Lake Country backing plate washers

Hi, I've very recently bought a Flex 3401 and also the lake country backing plate system. Mine, as I suspect does all of them, came with no instructions and for the most part does not need them as it's pretty obvious where it all goes.
    But there is one thing that up to yet I have not seen mentioned, and that's the two very thin washers. To my way of thinking there is only one place they can go and that's in the recess of the geared plate. They are too wide to fit in the recess of the four or six inch backing pads. The backing pad as I see takes the single thick washer that comes with the bolt. As I've said above ive not seen the two thin ones mentioned on any of the threads ive viewed, neither did it show them on the lake country instructional video on u tube. It's still not good weather wise here in the UK plenty of rain, mist, and fogs so I have not had chance to use it yet. It came to mind whilst I've been viewing posts on the few occasions that there as been instances of little bits of plastic coming off from the area between the geared plate and the machine.
    Does anyone else have these washers? Oh and the pack was sealed when I got it so I don't think they have been placed in as an afterthought, or in error.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lake Country backing plate washers

You are right, the instructions stink and yes, they go between the adapter and backing plate. They are for use with the larger plate.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Parttimer,
    thank-you for getting back to me on this, so to clarify the two thin washers are only needed when the six inch plate is used, and they are not required with the four inch?
    I'm glad I've found this out before I got to use it or I think I would have left them in for both. I'm not sure if that would have been detrimental but I don't fancy experimenting to find out.
    Thanks again
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like

You are correct, only on the 6" plate!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Once again Parttimer thankyou for clearing that one up for me.
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like

This thread is a bit older, but could someone who has the system take a couple of photos of how the washers fit and post them? This would be a great help to me and others.

Thanks

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by SilverRebel View Post

This thread is a bit older, but could someone who has the system take a couple of photos of how the washers fit and post them? T

his would be a great help to me and others.

Thanks

For what it's worth... my how-to books are just like my posts to this forum, they are in-depth and complete. Tons of information in a single sources.

Example: Here's page 9 from my Flex 3401 How To Book

Just for fun... that's Wayne Carini's shop in the picture with me using the Flex 3401 on a F430 Spyder. Somehow Wayne was cropped out when this picture was used in the how-to book but here's the original picture.

I spent 2 days training and working with Wayne's painter and detailer showing them how to use the Flex 3401, Flex PE14, Porter Cable 7424XP and the Griot's 3" Mini Polisher.

Here's the link to get a copy of my Flex 3401 How To Book

On Autogeek.net

How to use the Flex XC 3401 VRG Dual Action Polisher
    For both Production Detailing & Show Car Detailing

Hope that helps...

Post Thanks / Like

I have Mike's book and it is a great help for someone new to the flex and it's accessories (pad recommendations as well).

Post Thanks / Like

Guys I got my Flex last week and I also purchased the LC 4 inch backing plate not the 6 inch backing plate. The 4 inch backing plate came with 2 shims. In this thread it is pointed out that the shims are just for the 6 inch backing plate. So, by virtue of the fact that LC included the shims, am I to assume that whatever issue existed with the larger plate also exists with the smaller one and therefore I should use the shims? Or was this a packaging mistake?