autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

If I buy a Flex 3401, Can I Complete any Given Job Faster?

I know this sounds like a silly question, but I keep reading in articles written by professionals that the given number of passes recommended per section with the Flex 3401 is equal to the recommended number of passes per section using a regular da, e.g. PC, GG, HF, Meg's DA etc.

If I'm using the same number of passes with a Flex 3401, or with a PC, why would I want to spend the money to buy a Flex 3401? Does it give better results with the same amount of passes compared to a DA?
    My ultimate goal is to work faster while achieving better or the same results.
    Thank you for responding.
    "I've seen a good quality car wash look better than some guys complete detail jobs."
    Mike Phillips 10/21/09

Post Thanks / Like

Re: If I buy a Flex 3401, Can I Complete any Given Job Faster?

everything is dependent on paint type, some are just harder than others to correct, but for the most part you will get quicker and better results with the Flex 3401

Mike Phillips

I would overwhelmingly say "yes" to your question.

Due to the gear-driven, forced rotation AND forced oscillation, you can definitely buff out a car or boat faster and I'm talking both show car work and production work.

I teach a class on this at Mobil Tech, that is detailing faster using the Flex 3401 to increase profits.

I would also strongly recommend adding the 4" LC baking plate and getting into both 6.5" and 5" Hybrid pads.

This is from last year....

Mobile Tech Expo 2014 - Class Schedule

Class 1 - How to Use The Flex 3401
    9:00-9:45am
    Room: Curacao 3

For both production detailing as well as, and show car detailing. There are a lot of tool options available for making money detailing cars. Each type or category of tool has its strong points and its short coming.

In this class you will learn how to turn the Flex 3401 Forced Rotation Dual Action Polisher into your own money making machine for doing both production detailing and show car detailing.

Buffing out the fender skirts of a 1957 Chevy Bel Air with the Flex 3401

This is from the year before....

Autogeek Class Schedule at Mobil Tech Expo 2013

Detail Faster with the Flex XC3401 - 11:45am 12:30pm Sawgrass Room
    There are a lot of tool options available for making money detailing cars. Each type or category of tool has its strong points and its short comings. You will learn how to turn the Flex 3401 Forced Rotation Dual Action Polisher into your own money making machine when doing production detailing and even show car detailing.

From 2012...

http://www.mobiletechexpo.com/3PAGESCHEDULE1-12.pdf

2:00-2:45pm Tips & Techniques For Using The Flex 3401
    The Flex 3401 is unique in the world of polishers in that it uses a direct drive action to maintain pad rotation without the risk of burning paint or instilling swirls. Learn how to use a Flex 3401 to restore a factory new, swirl free finish faster than using a DA Polisher and without the risks associated with a rotary buffer.

So three years in a row I've taught a class on the Flex 3401 at MTE with a focus on doing pro quality work faster.

4. Likes RiverDog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

With the 3401 being a gear driven DA, you no longer have to worry about pad rotation. The pad will spin no matter what. You could sit on it and it will still spin. Not so with the other DA's.

Also the 3401 is not bothered by curvy panels. Where curves can slow down or stop a free floating spindle DA, the 3401 will continue spinning.

Once you get your technique dialed in on the 3401, you will shorten your times.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by expdetailing View Post

If I'm using the same number of passes with a Flex 3401, or with a PC, why would I want to spend the money to buy a Flex 3401? Does it give better results with the same amount of passes compared to a DA?
    The amount of level of correction being done is greater due to the more powerful pad rotation as compared to a Porter Cable. You can push down hard, as hard as you want and this engages the abrasives with the paint so they take little bites out of the paint and thus level the surface.

So better work, or better defect removal faster.

The other very important benefit is curved panel or any size or shape of panel just doesn't matter to the Flex 3401.

I have a ton of info on the Flex 3401, in fact I have a brand new book coming out dedicated just for the Flex 3401 and I don't really care to "sell" you on buying one, you can sell yourself... but you can buff out a car faster due to the gear-driven, forced rotation and oscillation than with a PC.

Quote Originally Posted by expdetailing View Post

My ultimate goal is to work faster while achieving better or the same results.
    Thank you for responding.
    You can reach your ultimate goal using the Flex 3401 over the PC.

Now days after I do the rotary buffer work for any wet sanding project, the next step just to make an already really long process shorter is knock out the hologram removal using the Flex 3401 then machine wax. It's what I show in my machine wet sanding and rotary buffer portion of my boot camp class now.

7. Likes RiverDog liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Not so much for the OP but for anyone reading this into the future.... here's two write-ups where I used only the Flex 3401...

High quality production detailing by Mike Phillips

How to use a one-step cleaner/wax to maximize profits

Post Thanks / Like

Mike and Mike hit the nail on the head.

I recently switched over to a 3401 after reading info from Mike Phillips and Mike@Dedicated perfection. I love my 3041 so much that I donated my PC to another user on here in need of one after an unfortunate situation.

The 3041 combined with Menzerna products has been a game changer in the quality and consistency of my work. Along with giving me the confidence to tackle jobs knowing that they will come out swirl free in a timely fashion.

Good luck!
    IGL Authorized Coating/Kenzo Installer

Final Inspection Auto Detailing- https://www.facebook.com/FinalInspection

Post Thanks / Like
    Mike, thanks to your reply and everyone else's, I purchased the flex 3401 and the LC backing plate system, and a few hybrid pads. Mike, you, Meghan and Ray all worked together as a team on answering my questions. Now, I can't wait to go polish my van that doesn't need polishing.
    "I've seen a good quality car wash look better than some guys complete detail jobs."
    Mike Phillips 10/21/09

Post Thanks / Like

Mike and Mike are Spot on awesome DA

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Smokinss View Post
    Mike and Mike hit the nail on the head.

I recently switched over to a 3401 after reading info from Mike Phillips and Mike@Dedicated perfection. I love my 3041 so much that I donated my PC to another user on here in need of one after an unfortunate situation.

The 3041 combined with Menzerna products has been a game changer in the quality and consistency of my work. Along with giving me the confidence to tackle jobs knowing that they will come out swirl free in a timely fashion.

Good luck!
    Thank you good sir.

Here is the article I wrote that he referenced.
    http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...brid-pads.html

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast