autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: If I buy a Flex 3401, Can I Complete any Given Job Faster?

Quote Originally Posted by Kamakaz1961 View Post
    I want to thank Mike and Mike. I bought the 5" Hybrid Pads based on their input.

I am going to try them out soon!
    Great! Can't wait to hear your thoughts on them and how they perform for you.

Mike Phillips

Just to add....

Anyone detailing boats that doesn't have a Flex 3401 is missing the boat...

Teamed together with a wool pad and the new Captains Compound you can get amazing oxidation removal without inflicting swirls into the gel-coat like most boat detailers do...

Here's an article I wrote on the problems with holograms in the boat detailing industry.

Holograms in gel-coat boats

And the solution is a Flex 3401 as we used to do the last machine polishing step for a show car finish on a boat here,

Note: The after pictures are after compounding only... there's no wax on the after pictures below...

Pictures: 1960 Glastron - Wetsand, Cut & Buff at Marine31Online.com

Robert, Andy and Jeff are starting the polishing work, they've switched over to using the Flex 3401 with blue 6.5" Hybrid Foam Cutting pads with the Captain's One-Step Compound & Polish.

Here's John with the top cap after the sanding, compounding and polishing steps... at this time there is no wax on the gel-coat.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I received the flex 3401 and a rupes 21 all in the same week.
    I detailed a black denali this weekend and got to use both for the first time.
    Let me say, based on forum talk, I was more eager to use the rupes tahn the flex. So much so that I ordered it before the flex.
    Well, I noticed how smooth the rupes was, but quickly became frustrated to a dusting issue I had with the blue rupes pad and rupes compound. I did not have time to mess around, so I went for the flex for the first time. All I can say is WOW! I love this thing. It corrects better than the rupes imo. I used a 5" LC hybrid orange pad with menz fg400 and I was having fun. I love the fact that it's direct drive. It kind of makes me feel as if I know how fast it's correcting. In other words: it has great feedback. With the rupes, I kind of wondering what's going on when I am making passes. The feedback on the flex is outstanding. It's as if I can feel the amount of friction being produced between the pad and paint. I like that. With the rupes, it was more like gliding; I didn't like that. When the two units showed up at my door, I thought the flex looked like better quality. That's not to say the quality on the rupes is low--it's not. It's just the flex's is outstanding. I could go on and on about the flex. From my experience with the two, which is very little, I believe the flex will be my "go-to" polisher. I am thinking of buying another one, just to own two of them so that I don't have to use my pc for tighter areas.

4. Likes RiverDog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by expdetailing View Post
    Well, I received the flex 3401 and a rupes 21 all in the same week.
    I detailed a black denali this weekend and got to use both for the first time.
    Let me say, based on forum talk, I was more eager to use the rupes tahn the flex. So much so that I ordered it before the flex.
    Well, I noticed how smooth the rupes was, but quickly became frustrated to a dusting issue I had with the blue rupes pad and rupes compound. I did not have time to mess around, so I went for the flex for the first time. All I can say is WOW! I love this thing. It corrects better than the rupes imo. I used a 5" LC hybrid orange pad with menz fg400 and I was having fun. I love the fact that it's direct drive. It kind of makes me feel as if I know how fast it's correcting. In other words: it has great feedback. With the rupes, I kind of wondering what's going on when I am making passes. The feedback on the flex is outstanding. It's as if I can feel the amount of friction being produced between the pad and paint. I like that. With the rupes, it was more like gliding; I didn't like that. When the two units showed up at my door, I thought the flex looked like better quality. That's not to say the quality on the rupes is low--it's not. It's just the flex's is outstanding. I could go on and on about the flex. From my experience with the two, which is very little, I believe the flex will be my "go-to" polisher. I am thinking of buying another one, just to own two of them so that I don't have to use my pc for tighter areas.
    I agree 100% - I have both Rupes and Flex, my LHR15 died not too long ago and it won't be replaced with another Rupes I can tell you that! I just got the PE-14, so I compound with it and finish with the 3401 - best combo IMO.
    Retired Marine - Full time Detailer.

https://www.facebook.com/ExtremeReflections1

Post Thanks / Like

I've been a rotary buffer man for over fifty years and can do just about anything with one. I tried some other orbital machines and wasn't too impressed until I got my Flex 3401 from AG.net. This is the only machine, that I have used, that can compete with a rotary. I have been converted. It takes a lot of practice to use a rotary but anyone can use the Flex and get excellent results with it in short order. Buy the Flex and get a good selection of Lake Country pads, in various sizes, to go with it and you won't be disappointed. I still use a rotary some but the Flex has just about taken over my work. This machine is about as good as it gets. That's my two cents worth from an old man who has been detailing vehicles for a long time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mach1USMC View Post
    I just got the PE-14, so I compound with it and finish with the 3401 - best combo IMO.
    Agreed! Best combo for sure!

Mike Phillips

Need info in this for future write-up.

Post Thanks / Like

I will chime in. I started with a PC as hobbyist over 10 years ago. After doing a couple of cars i quickly moved to a 3401. For years it was my go to for everything. Then a few years ago, I was seduced by the long throws, I had both BOSS machines, and they were great machines. So I sold my 3401, I figured i was set..... Then some circumstances changed in our lives, and I started detailing from home full time last February. After the very first full paint correction I did, I ordered a new 3401. Why? Pad stall was really bad with the long throws, and didn't have time to "work it out" When i am hammering down on a black F450 dually, i need to go, and the forced rotation 3401, in my opinion, is the only choice. I know there are lots of detailers that are more skilled with a Rupes, but the 3401 is truly a Beast, that is pretty much bubba proof

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123