autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks everyone for the input and advise 😀
    You know you drive an EVO when you're broke, you're fast, you're happy

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What backing plate and pads size for flex 3401

My Flex has the 4 3/8" BP and I only use 5.5" B/S pads with it. Works perfectly with that setup.

Post Thanks / Like

Ah, I can't decide what to get. There are some reviews that state the LC kit has broken. I don't recognize any of the names though, unlike you guys. Have any of you had issues with this or heard of such issues?

Why are the hybrid pads so great with the Flex? What makes them better?

I currently have only the stock backing plate and 6.5" pads. I love it, but that pad size is much too big for many areas of a vehicle; 5" or 5.5" inch pads don't seem like enough of a decrease in size that it will make much of a difference (anyone want to correct me on that, maybe I'm wrong in my thinking?). Four inch pads sound great, but then there's no room for error if you accidentally bump into something.

Any advice guys?
    Thank you Autogeekers!

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, and I've only ever used the CCS pads. Are flat pads easier to control with the Flex?

How do hydro-tech pads differ from the others?
    Thank you Autogeekers!

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by StuDLei View Post
    Oh, and I've only ever used the CCS pads. Are flat pads easier to control with the Flex?

How do hydro-tech pads differ from the others?
    The CCS pads are generally considered easier to control than flat pads in the 3401

Is anyone using a foam interface pads when using the Megs DAMF pads on the 3401?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by allenk4 View Post
    The CCS pads are generally considered easier to control than flat pads in the 3401

Is anyone using a foam interface pads when using the Megs DAMF pads on the 3401?
    Really? Thought I had always read the opposite. Either way, I'll find out soon enough. I ordered the LC kit yesterday, along with a few pads and some other goodies I've been want to try (especially Powerlock!)
    Thank you Autogeekers!

Post Thanks / Like

Ah, I can't decide what to get. There are some reviews that state the LC kit has broken. I don't recognize any of the names though, unlike you guys. Have any of you had issues with this or heard of such issues?
    My LC kit broke on me, there's a thread here at AG and I've put my feedback there. Few days later I was using the replacement sent (for free, sure) by AG. Lake Country contacted me to ask if everything was fine, etc, like we all know, ordering at AG you'll be covered.

No more issues.

Why are the hybrid pads so great with the Flex? What makes them better?

Size: Perfect fit velcro and beveled edge helps distributing polishing action evenly. 5" pads will fit virtually any panel design and polish complex curves with perfection.

Foam Technology: Hybrid pads can be compressed (adding pressure while polishing) offering great increase in cut, on the other hand, if you use it without any pressure (other than only machine's weight) it gives you the feel of a finishing pad, which gives you best of both worlds, Great Cut, Awesome Finish.

Durability: If you take good and proper care of it, it'll last a lot of jobs.

If I remember any other reason, I can add here.

I currently have only the stock backing plate and 6.5" pads. I love it, but that pad size is much too big for many areas of a vehicle; 5" or 5.5" inch pads don't seem like enough of a decrease in size that it will make much of a difference (anyone want to correct me on that, maybe I'm wrong in my thinking?). Four inch pads sound great, but then there's no room for error if you accidentally bump into something.

Any advice guys?

5" Hybrids are the answer for you. There's a huge difference in 6.5" to 5" pads regarding control and ease of use, it's a pleasure to polish even an entire car using the 5" hybrids (although I may use the Rupes 21' for flat larger parts or switch to a larger plate on the Flex when I need to gain some time).

5" hybrids can be used in many places you would use 4" pads, and if you need, you can just switch the hybrid for a 4" pad and work a tighter spot, then return to the 5" hybrid...

I mean, Hybrids, Flex, and if you like it, Menzerna Polishes, are great companion to the 3401.

Just my opinion,

Best Regards.
    “Nature is pleased with simplicity. And nature is no dummy”

― Isaac Newton

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tato View Post

The 5" hybrids will not work with 4 3/8 plate because the 5" hybrid pad is beveled which has exactly 4" velcro side size, and 5" foam side size. (it's velcro is too small to be used on 4 3/8" plate).

The hybrid pads are the best pads for the Flex, that said, unfortunately, if you want to get the most from your machine, you'll need to get them.
    Likely a stupid question, but what difference does it make if the 4 3/8" pad overlaps the 4" Velcro on the 5" hybrid pad?

its only a little over 1/8" on each side.

I get the bevel at the velcro side of the pad, but does it much matter?

seems that the flex 4 3/8" plate is a better bet, just can't see how there's that much of a case for concern with a 5" hybrid. Even a 5" can't be used fir that much fine wok, a mini RO is a better bet on small stuff...

Post Thanks / Like

The general consensus is that if the BP velcro is on the foam part of the pad, the BP will chew up the foam, and shortly thereafter cause a pad failure. Anything from a pad's edge breaking off, to the pad's velcro separating from the foam and having the pad flyoff (the effect at the paint surface doesn't need much imagination to foresee).

There was a similar issue with the HF backing plate and the pads that were delivered with it. The HF would chew up its pads. No great loss, its not like the pads were very good anyway, but if the HF would do that, you can just imagine what a 3401 will do (as it has twice the power and is a forced rotation polisher, so the pad turns, no matter what).

Unless you have the 5" LC Hybrid pads already, this isn't much of a consideration, as the 5" pads are no longer being made, Their replacement, the Hybrid Force pads come in 5.5", and are not even available in the 5" size.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thread revival

So lots of talk on a few threads about 5 inch LC hybrid pads on the 4 inch changeable backing plate system.

Now on AG site I see that the pads are listed as 5.5 inches, and there is a flex mini 4.5 inch backing plate.

Were the 5 inch pads replaced with 5.5 inch pads to avoid the need for the changeable backing plate system and instead used with the 4.5 backing plate?

Thanks for the clarification

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast