autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

3401 plate damage

i had flex 3401 that i bought last month.
    it come with LC plate system 4" and 6" plate size.
    when first run test to my car and its supprise me with the result.
    second test to my friends car and the result my 6" plate are damage like the picture...
    (sorry if the pic not to focus, take wt my phone)
    maybe anyone of you guys can tell me what is the cause until the plate can damage like this ?
    need to know the posibility of the cause to prevent future same failure..

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 3401 plate damage

To Autogeek Online!

WOW, sorry to hear this happened and certainly not typical. I don't have the Lake Country system but I have used both backing plates from Flex without issue.

• Did the socket screw in the center of the plate loosen up?
    • Did you lubricate the felt ring prior to mounting the plate?

Did you purchase it through Autogeek? If so then give Autogeek's Customer Service reps a call and they'll bend over backwards to make things right...

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Mike Phillips

My guess is,

Bolt not tight that holds backing plate system to spindle
    Correct washer not used AND bolt not tight that holds backing plate to spindle

I've used the backing plate adapter system since it was introduced and we always have 4-5 Flex 3401's set-up to use with this system. People from all backgrounds, newbies to professionals use our tools during our Thursday night projects and I've never had one break to date.

I use them myself on my own projects and again, never had an issue.

I also use the supplied, correct washer with the adapter plate system and I always snug the bolt down tight when assembling the system to the Flex 3401.

I used the Flex 3401 for all three of these projects and no problems and these are not small cars...

Christmas Detail - Ferrari P4 - Move over Rudolf

How to use a one-step cleaner/wax to maximize profits

Paint machine polished using a polishing pad and a one-step, cleaner/wax...

After

New Menzerna FG 400 - One-Step Show Car Makeover

So a loose bolt or a loose bolt without the washer or the correct washer would be my guess as to why you experienced the damage you have. Just a guess no way of really knowing.

I'll send the link to this thread to my buddy Eric Dunn from Lake Country and lets let him chime in too as he might have seen this before if it's ever happened before.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

hi mike and bobby thanks to reply my thread..
    @ bobby : the hex bolt centre not loose up, when it happen the bolt and the masher stay on the machine and the plate are loose away from the flex. and yes i lubricate the white felt ring 1 day before i use .i bought the machine from one of detailer on my country and according to him he bought from autogeek.
    @mike : i think im sure i tight enough the center hex bolt with the washer from the machine.
    and then after the accident my first thought on mind was i tight the bolt with washer too tight with the machine and cause of the damage.(after mike comment than this should be not the cause)
    next day i try with my second 4" plate and do the work, but this time every single panel of the car i stop and check the plate condition, the hex bolt is hot enough to touch when try to loose up and release the plate to cool it down for a while before i continued to next panel. ().
    after finish i check the plate and the shape its not smooth anymore but it got some kind of square mark it to it. perhaps later i will post it the pic.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by ludrady View Post

next day i try with my second 4" plate and do the work, but this time every single panel of the car i stop and check the plate condition, the hex bolt is hot enough to touch when try to loose up and release the plate to cool it down for a while before i continued to next panel.

after finish i check the plate and the shape its not smooth anymore but it got some kind of square mark it to it. perhaps later i will post it the pic.

Something doesn't sound right?

Where you at with this issue?
    (I've been offline at Mobil Tech Expo for a few days)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ludrady View Post
    i had flex 3401 that i bought last month.
    it come with LC plate system 4" and 6" plate size.
    when first run test to my car and its supprise me with the result.
    second test to my friends car and the result my 6" plate are damage like the picture...
    (sorry if the pic not to focus, take wt my phone)
    maybe anyone of you guys can tell me what is the cause until the plate can damage like this ?
    need to know the posibility of the cause to prevent future same failure..

I had the center of my 4" LC adapter break sort of like your picture. I always use the washer and and the bolt was tight, but somehow the stress busted it like in your picture. Here's mine...

I tried to glue mine back together, but after thinking about it could come apart on someones car, I decided to go to the LC FB page and ended up speaking with Eric Dunn who sent me a replacement and I sent my broken one back.

Hope that helps,
    Tom

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

hi mike : yes its kind of weird but its real. this time i put heat seal paper beetwen the adapter and the plate 4", and i think it can reduce the heat in the center. test it and the result i dont need stop on each panel because the heat is not too hot on the plate.

hi tom : my 4' pad untill now still ok to use only my 6" already break apart..
    i think we had the same problem which is the center stress on the plate.thanks for the advice i will visit LC FB page.

Post Thanks / Like

I noticed the center screw was a little loose on a new 3401 after doing 6 panels. Certainly worthy of a quick check from time to time. Maybe some red lock tight might be a good idea for that screw. I really like the polisher, super easy to control even one handed when stretching over the roof.

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Re: 3401 plate damage

I know this is an old thread but I had the exact same thing happen with mine. Using the larger plate, it snapped off just like the picture. I called autogeek and they sent another pack out and I sent the broken one back. Unfortunately it happened again so I just went and bought the original Flex replacement backing pad. I feel like the plastic gets hot and breaks on the LC plate kit

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

hmmmm sad I was going to purchase this system for my 3401, but something seems wrong with the adapter setup. I wish Lake Country would make some type of statement or at least give us some info as to what they think is going on.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast