autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Pad sizes for flex plates 4", 5.5" and 6" ?

Ok, I have the 3401 (not used it yet), and I have the additional backing plate kit 4" and 6".

What are the proper (recommended) sizes that I should be looking at for the 4", the 5.5" and 6" plates?

Right now I have several 5.5" LC flat 7/8" pads.

When I did a test fit on the 5.5" plate of course the pad went right to the edge of the plate.

Suggestions?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pad sizes for flex plates 4", 5.5" and 6" ?

I use the 4" CCS and Hydrotech pads with the 4" backing plate. I use the 5.5" CCS and 5.5" Hydrotech pads with the 5.5" backing plate. The Hydrotech pads are actually a little bigger and rounded so you can buff with the sides of the pad a bit more. I use the 6.5" CCS pads with the 5.5" BP too since my 6" BP broke. They still work just fine with the 5.5". Even though the Flex is forced rotation, the smaller pads work better IMO.

Post Thanks / Like

I kind of have the same question. Which pad size should I use? I ordered 6.5, but I keep reading people prefer 5" pads. Thanks in advance

Mike Phillips

A couple things,

While thin pads work best for DA Polishers like the PC, Griot's and Meguiar's, that's not a factor when it comes to gear driven tools.

This is just my opinion but the best pads on the market right now for the Flex 3401 are the 5" Hybrid Pads.

The face of these pads equals 5" in diameter and the design has them tapering down to the Velcro backing which is 4" and fits the 4" backing plate perfectly.

For doing major correction work, get the Blue Foamed Hybrid Pad, this thing is dang near indestructible and with a good compound will remove defects incredibly fast.

For less aggressive cutting action get either of the cutting pads and for sure get the white polishing pad and the black finishing pad.

The smaller size of the face of the pad does two things,

1. Makes the tool incredibly easy to control. You still want to practice holding the pad flat but the smaller size makes operation easy.

2. Fits the thin panels common to new cars better than larger pads.

I have an article on this and you can find it in my article list in the section dedicated to the Flex 3401, it's easy to find, just click to my article list from the link in my Signature Line which is in ALL my posts and the scroll down till you see this picture,

Flex 3401 Forced Rotation Dual Action Polisher

NEW - New 5" pads for 4" Backing Plate on Flex 3401

And here's the article showing these pads...

5" Hybrid Pads for the 4" backing plate on the Flex 3401!

These new pads are not in stock yet but you can get a glimpse of them in action below....

Live Broadcast Video - 1965 Plymouth Valiant - Extreme Makeover

***Live Broadcast Video - Extreme Makeover - 1965 Plymouth Valiant***

Here's some still pictures I took from the Valiant Extreme Makeover with Justin using them...

These pads really work well with this tool. If you don't have the 4" backing plate then ANY of the 6.5" pads from Lake Country work GREAT on it to as do the Meguiar's 7" Softbuff pads.

The larger size pads work great for tackling larger flat panels.

Mike Phillips

For this 1940 Ford Couple, I purposefully set up nothing but Flex 3401 polishers with both 6.5" and 5" Hybrid pads for my students to work with and compare as they buffed out this car.

Point being, both 6.5 and the 5" Hybrid pads both work great with this too... If you have the stock or factory backing plates, then look at these pads,

6.5 CCS
    6.5 Flat pads
    7" Softbuff pads
    6.5 Hybrids

If you have the 4" backing plate, then get the 5" Hybrids. If you want to just start with the basics, then get the orange, white and black 5" hybrids.

I loved this car for my class, everyone was excited to work on something cool that was trashed and it really came out nice...

Look through these pictures and you'll see both 6.5" 5" Hybrid Pads in use...

Wow!

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for your feedback. I'm going to be working on my Ford Edge (2012 paint doesn't need much work at all) and wifes Honda Accord (2008 - paint needs some swirls, scratches removed). It will be my first time ever using a flex or anything similar to it.

I originally ordered

Lake Country 6.5 CCS Pads and a few of the hydro tech pads.
    I'm debating on returning them for the 5" pads, but not sure what to do even with your previous response ?

I don't even know if I need to buy a backing plate if I keep the 6.5 pads. I assume if I go the 5" ccs pad way I need a different plate?

If the hybrid pads are available soon, then maybe I should get those? decisions, decisions. pardon my noobness.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by DEXTERITY View Post

I don't even know if I need to buy a backing plate if I keep the 6.5 pads. I assume if I go the 5" ccs pad way I need a different plate?
    The factory backing plate is 5.5" wide and works great with 6.5" pads. You can't use 5.5" pads on a 5.5" backing plate as the edge of the backing plate is dangerously close to hitting the paint. Plus the pads are too thin for this type of tool.

If the hybrid pads are available soon, then maybe I should get those? decisions, decisions. pardon my noobness.
    The Hybrid pads are available in both 6.5" and 5" sizes. You can use the 6.5" on the factory backing plate but you need to buy the Adapter Plate System to get the 4" backing plate to use with the 5" pads.

You cannot at this time get the 4" backing plate and the adapter by itself, it comes as a 3 piece kit.

Post Thanks / Like

Mike, thank you very much for your time and help. I appreciate it!

Mike Phillips

Mike, thank you very much for your time and help. I appreciate it!

You're welcome. I love buffing out cars and helping others to buff out cars too...

By the way, we'll be using the 5" Hybrids on rotary buffers tonight on the 440 Cuda...

The Mother of all swirled-out 1970 Cuda's

Post Thanks / Like

mickey T's in the back. The guy does use his car. nice!!
    2003 SVT COBRA
    Built and prepped by Mustang Magic (home of snakebite)
    Tuned by Joey at Mustang Magic

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast