autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mike Phillips

Re: Secret meeting with the Flex Engineers!

Quote Originally Posted by Pats300zx View Post

It looks like you and Nick had a blast !!!

We really did have a great time. Can't thank Suby and Bob enough for being such wonderful hosts and also to Max for allowing us to take the trip.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like a great time was had by all

Quote Originally Posted by Rei86 View Post
    hmmm a new product you say!
    Yes, its going to be called the Flex Flash
    “Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.”

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post

After introductions we had what I think was one of the best parts of our trip and that was a chance to meet with and discuss power tools with the Flex Engineers.

Both Nick and I had a chance to talk one-on-one with all the top engineers at Flex including Dirk Rock, the engineer behind the Flex PE14

This was our opportunity to share our thoughts about tool design and the direction and needs of both the enthusiast and professional markets.

***Update***

While at this meeting back in October of 2011 the ideas Nick and I shared with the FLEX Engineers was for a free spinning orbital polisher.

At that time the long orbit stroke polishers had not been introduced yet as this was October of 2011 that's approximately 4.5 years ago.

Back then my suggestion was for the Mercedes-Benz version of the Porter Cable. I like the PC for all types of detailing duties like machine decontamination, compounding, polishing, waxing, machine sanding and machine scrubbing. That's a lot from a single tool.

It looks like the FLEX Engineers decided to go to the larger stroke design for an orbital polisher and I defer to them since they are Engineers.

The good news is FLEX is introducing a free spinning orbital polisher and it's here!

On Autogeek.com

By itself...

FLEX XFE7-15 Long Stroke Orbital Polisher

Or in a kit...

FLEX XFE7-15 Long Throw Orbital Starter Kit – Choose Your Pads!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    ***Update***

While at this meeting back in October of 2011 the ideas Nick and I shared with the FLEX Engineers was for a free spinning orbital polisher.

At that time the long orbit stroke polishers had not been introduced yet as this was October of 2011 that's approximately 4.5 years ago.

Back then my suggestion was for the Mercedes-Benz version of the Porter Cable. I like the PC for all types of detailing duties like machine decontamination, compounding, polishing, waxing, machine sanding and machine scrubbing. That's a lot from a single tool.

It looks like the FLEX Engineers decided to go to the larger stroke design for an orbital polisher and I defer to them since they are Engineers.

The good news is FLEX is introducing a free spinning orbital polisher and it's here!

Thanks for the follow up Mike. Was always curious how it went.

Glad to see what Flex did with the idea of a free spinning DA polisher and where they took it. Rather than just copy the PC and put it into the market it looks like they over engineered the tool (as Germans are known to do) and gave use something truly useful.

I really like how the rear controls are the same as the other machines and features the plunger style trigger with locking mechanism to set it and get to work. Not to mention the elongated rotary style body for extended polishing sessions.

Well done Flex!

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Mike@DedicatedPerfection View Post

Thanks for the follow up Mike. Was always curious how it went.

Have to say... when I first heard from Bob Eichelberg FLEX was going to introduce a free spinning orbital polisher I was caught off guard.

My personal opinion is that I like that there are lots of tool options on the market today as compared to 10 and 20 years ago there was really only three options,

Rotary buffer
    Orbital polisher - the old large clunky models
    Cyclo polisher

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome!!!

What a great thread. I have never seen this one before but damn! What a beauty!

Appreciate the on this one Mike!

Aaryn NZ.
    a DETAILS Blenheim New Zealand - IDA Member - C.Quartz Finest Authorized Installer

Post Thanks / Like

Still waiting for the VRG replacement/update/newer version, I wonder what on earth happened to that ?

8. Likes dlc95 liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by nickyc View Post

Still waiting for the VRG replacement/update/newer version, I wonder what on earth happened to that ?

Click this for the latest...

https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...ml#post1651940

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post

Shared here in post #5

Rupes 15 III vs. Gear Driven DA’s

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12