autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Mike and Nick's Excellent Flex Adventure! - Going to Germany!

Mike and Nick's Excellent Flex Adventure! - Going to Germany!

Tomorrow morning, Nick and I leave the U.S. for Steinheim, Germany where we will be the guests of Flex Power Tools.

Our host will be Bob Eichelberg, the President of Flex Tools North America and Bob is going to give us a full tour of the Flex Corporate Offices as well as the Flex Manufacturing Plant.

All I can say is,

WOW!

What an opportunity and a huge thank you to Bob and everyone at Flex Tools for such an over the top chance of a lifetime!

Besides getting to visit Flex Tools during our trip Bob is also taking us to,

The Mercedes-Benz Museum

I've even heard we're going to get the VIP Tour not normally available unless you have insider friends. (Thanks Bob).

Bob is also taking us to the Stuttgart Beer Festival

I've never been to a German Beer Festival but I hear they're like a big picnic?

Bratwurst and Beer

Bob says we'll be taking an ICE high-speed train from Fankfurt to Stuttgart!

This is going to be an awesome experience!

We're going to be staying at the Stuttgart Marriott Hotel Sindelfingen so we'll have Internet access and both of us will be sharing pictures during our trip.

I will also be posting pictures to my Facebook page on the fly... so check it out!

Flex History
    Here's a little history about Flex...

"Flexen" comes from FLEX.Everyone has heard of it. Many use it every day. But very few people know that ' flexen', a common German verb, actually refers back to an invention developed by FLEX, formerly known as Ackermann + Schmitt. But let's start at the beginning:

In 1922, Hermann Ackermann and Hermann Schmitt started a company in Stuttgart-Bad Cannstatt to produce and sell their new invention: the MS 6 hand-held grinding machine, featuring an electrical motor that drove a flexible shaft. This feature was the inspiration for this brand-new tool's name: Flex . And this is the origin of today's brand name and a verb that has become an integral part of everyday German vocabulary: 'flexen' .

The MS 6 hand-held grinding machine

Hermann Ackermann and Hermann Schmitt

In the late 1920s, the engineers succeed in replacing the flexible shaft with an angle gear set. This was the world's first angle grinder, also sold under the brand name Flex. Flex started becoming established as a new word.

In 1935, Ackermann + Schmitt launched a low-speed angle grinder. In 1954, it unveiled the first high-speed angle grinder: the DL 9. By now, Flex was synonymous with angle grinder, while the verb 'flexen' completely replaced the less snappy verb 'trennschleifen' ("abrasive cutting") in colloquial German.

The first high-speed angle grinder the DL 9 introduced in 1954

In 1996, Ackermann + Schmitt renamed itself Flex. In 2006, 'flexen' was officially added to the Duden spelling dictionary

Innovation comes from tradition
    The Flex still uses the same basic approach, but the tool itself continues to evolve and improve. High-tech plastics replaced cast iron, making the tools considerably lighter. Motor power has increased, but motors have grown smaller and smaller. The motor and gears have become better protected against grinding and cutting dust; the tools have are now more durable, quieter and more ergonomic. The basic idea of the angle grinder proves to be so efficient and successful that it is incorporated into other machines and will continue to drive new innovations.

1987: High finish polishing
    FLEX develops dedicated systems for sensitive polishing of automotive paint and lacquers, furnitures and natural stone floors.

2011: POLISHFLEX
    The gentle power pack for professionally treating painted surfaces. A variable-speed polisher with a high torque, motor and gear unit operate extremely quietly.

Read more here,

Flex History and Vision

I guess here is were I insert the dancing banana!

2. Likes NinjaNate liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Mike and Nick's Flex Adventure!

Awesome!!
    Accomplishment and success are often the result of commitment and perseverance rather than skill or talent.

Post Thanks / Like

You will love Germany this time of year. And everything stops around October Fest. EVERYTHING.

On a side note, how did Nick get a Passport, I thought we tightened security. hehehehe.

Have a great time and try to see all you can. My family and I enjoyed all 5 years we were there, and tried to see everything.
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Wow that would be an awesome trip !! Have a good time.

Post Thanks / Like

O.....M.....G....!!! Are you serious?!?!?!?! Are ya'll hiring?!?!?! LOL! You guys have the best jobs ever. AND its Oktoberfest too?!?!?!?! Have fun guys!
    Alex
    ...."Do the right thing...even when no one is looking"

Mike Phillips

I posted this on DetailingWorld.co.uk also, I don't know how much spare time Nick and I will have but it's always great to put a face to an Avatar if any of our forum members here on AG or on DW are nearby...

Mike and Nick's Flex Adventure! - Coming to Germany!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Mike and Nick's Excellent Flex Adventure! - Going to Germany!

Wow, what an adventure you two have to look forward to! Color me envious.
    Rick....now in North Texas

McKee's 37 Product Support
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Mike and Nick's Excellent Flex Adventure! - Going to Germany!

I'm looking forward to this trip very much. So much so that "excited" isn't the appropriate word to describe how I feel. I know it's going to be a great time and I'm looking forward to hanging out with Bob Eichelberg and the guys from Flex.

Oh....and this too.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Darn Yankee View Post

On a side note, how did Nick get a Passport, I thought we tightened security. hehehehe.

Max has friends everywhere...

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by alko View Post

Have fun guys!
    I'm just going to keep Nick out of trouble...

Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast