autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Problems with Flex XC3401 and LC CCS Pads.....

So, I just wanted to post this up to see if anyone else has been having the same problems that I have been having. I am having problems with my LC CCS pads staying on the backing plate of the Flex XC3401. At low speeds, there doesn't seem to be much of an issue with the pad shifting around on the backing plate, but once I increase the speed to setting six, the pad shifts around a lot if I do not put excess pressure onto the Flex. Even with excess pressure, the pad's still shift around a little bit. Is this an issue with the backing plate from Flex or maybe the Velcro on the backs of the LC CCS pads are not so great. Any help or insight is appreciated. Thanks.

Mike Phillips

Re: Problems with Flex XC3401 and LC CCS Pads.....

My experience so far with LC pads is they have a very good Velcro backing as does the LC backing plates.

• How old is your Flex?
    • How many hours do you have behind it? (and the backing plate)
    • Are you using it hard and heavy? As in tackling neglected paint and buffing for long periods of time at high speeds?

Mike Phillips

There's a real science behind the shape and design of Velcro hook and loop fastening mechanism.

The hook side needs to be matched to the loop side and you can have hook and loop designs that don't actually match each other and when this happens the attachment strength is decreased.

Also, the more the hook and loop interfaces are pulled a part, for example taking a pad off a backing plate, the more the hook will become worn and performance will fall off. In other words Velcro wears out.

The hook side usually looks like the letter J as the hook wears the hook part or the lower part of the J will start to straighten out and thus you'll see a fall-off in attaching or stickiness to the loop side.

Maybe its time to get a new backing plate?

Post Thanks / Like

Like Mike said, how old is the flex. And also how old are your LC pads. The velcro could be getting old. And not have the tackiness, when was new ?
    I haven't had that issue before, with my LC pads. Thought I mostly use the cobra ccx pads
    Ed

Moderator/Consultant for Autogeek.net

To achieve excellence, excellence cannot be rushed. Technique is just as important as the product used.
    While my approach takes more time, the results are far superior.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KenSekiguchi View Post
    So, I just wanted to post this up to see if anyone else has been having the same problems that I have been having. I am having problems with my LC CCS pads staying on the backing plate of the Flex XC3401. At low speeds, there doesn't seem to be much of an issue with the pad shifting around on the backing plate, but once I increase the speed to setting six, the pad shifts around a lot if I do not put excess pressure onto the Flex. Even with excess pressure, the pad's still shift around a little bit. Is this an issue with the backing plate from Flex or maybe the Velcro on the backs of the LC CCS pads are not so great. Any help or insight is appreciated. Thanks.

I had the exact same problem you are speaking of, just about the time I got a new backing plate my Flex XC3401 started making funny noises and locked up, sent it back to power-house, they rebuilit it and sent it back to me. I had used this machine regularly though and the backing plate was worn out. New plate and works like a charm.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

The Flex was bought sometime in April - May of this year, so were the LC CCS pads, and I just finished the second detail on the car. As far as hours on the machine, definitely less than 20 hours. The two times I used the Flex, the only correction I did was with Menzerna PO 83 on LC CCS Orange and Menzerna PO 106FA on LC CCS White, the vehicle is a 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX, which has very soft paint and I noticed after the first detail that I didn't need a lot of time on the machine to correct.
    Last edited by KenSekiguchi; 08-20-2009 at 10:55 AM.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by KenSekiguchi View Post
    The Flex was bought sometime in April - May of this year, so were the LC CCS pads, and I just finished the second detail on the car. As far as hours on the machine, definitely less than 20 hours.
    Troubleshooting is pretty easy but it requires a known good backing plate and a known good foam pad, or at least a new backing plate and/or a new foam pad.

You would simply try sticking both a current foam pad you're having a problem with to the new backing plate and then to the current backing plate and then pull it off and see if you feel a difference in tackiness of the Velcro and a difference in how much strength it requires to pull each pad off the backing plate.

If both pads pull off easy then you would duplicate the test only this time use a new or known good backing plate.

The Velcro is either working or it's not. You could also get a magnifying glass and look at the hooks on the face of the backing plate and see if they look like a J with a good curve to the curved part or if the hooks are all relaxed and becoming straight.

Do you have any new/unused pads?

That's the only ideas I can come up with, maybe someone else has some more ideas.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

During my detail a few days ago, I did use a new LC CCS pad and the same situation occured when using an LC CCS pad from the first detail. The only difference was the new pad shifted just as the pad used prior to this detail, but the older pad actually flew off of the backing plate. So I am under the assumption that the Flex backing plate is not good anymore, but how can it wear out so fast?

Mike Phillips

This isn't very scientific as this is a reading magnifying glass and it's not strong enough to magnify the hooks to a large enough size to see the very specific differences but from what I can see, out of the 3 different backing plates on my desk, all of them appear to have a different design to the hook?

Could just be the hooks are relaxed already and that's why your pads are creeping around and becoming loose.

Different companies have different Velcro systems, not all Velcro is the same and hopefully the different companies are matching their hook side to their loop side to maximize their pad system. This means just because a pad has Velcro that it's going to stick the same to all backing plates.

Just a guess but I know for sure there are different designs in hook and loop systems.

Mike Phillips

Can anyone see the picture?

The IMG tags are around the URL address and it shows up when I'm typing in the message box but at least on my computer all I'm seeing is the URL address?

If you click on the link it should take you to the picture, at least it does for me.