autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Did I make the right decision?

After a lot of reading, well I guess not as much as I should have after reading a few post here in the forum. I ordered almost $700 worth of products that should arrive tomorrow. One of them is a PC, but now I am wondering if I should have ordered a Flex instead. I just bought a new 2008 Victory Red Corvette and also have a 2008 Honda Element that is Root Beer Metallic. Will the PC be enough to take care of the Vette? I have read about the "hard" paint on the Vette and some seem to think the PC isn't up to the task. What do you think?
    1971 Corvette Coupe
    2008 Corvette Coupe

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Did I make the right decision?

as you can see i've been reading a lot as well on the forum, but don't have many post's. My thoughts on the matter would be if you keep your corvette up as far as detailing (washing, claying, waxing, sealant) you should be alright with a PC. It all depends on the person behind the machine. The PC might take a little longer, and don't get me wrong as the FLEX is something i would like to pick up. If you really feel that you want a FLEX maybe you can just exchange the PC and pay the difference.

Hope that helps.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome fellow vette owner and no you did not make a mistake. The pc is a very good tool. It may take alittle longer to correct than say a rotary but you will be fine. It will help if your pad and polish choices are correct other than that it will be fine. I use my pc to apply paint cleaners to mine and it works great. Do you have some areas of concern on your vette if so let us know what they are and I will get you in the right direction to correct them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kwikc6 View Post
    After a lot of reading, well I guess not as much as I should have after reading a few post here in the forum. I ordered almost $700 worth of products that should arrive tomorrow. One of them is a PC, but now I am wondering if I should have ordered a Flex instead. I just bought a new 2008 Victory Red Corvette and also have a 2008 Honda Element that is Root Beer Metallic. Will the PC be enough to take care of the Vette? I have read about the "hard" paint on the Vette and some seem to think the PC isn't up to the task. What do you think?
    I'd imagine the swirls on your C6 are very minimal. The PC should have no problem taking care of minor stuff with the 6.5" pads we include in most kits...if it doesn't get the job done, just switch to 4" pads and you'll be golden.

Post Thanks / Like

A 5.5 inch pad or 4 inch will help a lot in paint correction with a pc. I have found the 6.5 take too long so I would purchase the 5.5 and 4 inch pads.

Post Thanks / Like

Good advice from 2 veteran detailers who own Vettes

Post Thanks / Like

PC worked well for me on past C5 and current C6. Smaller pads and the ceramiclear Menzerna polishes helped alot however.

Post Thanks / Like

I own an '08 C6 (crystal metallic red) and I must agree that the 4" pads (orange and white) and Menzerna polishes (106 and SIP) do a good job of eliminating or greatly reducing light scratches and swirls.

I use either a PC or UDM. The 4" pads allow you to work the scratch better and not too much of the surrounding area.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

hey man i think you should return the pc and get the flex, i got the pc because of a budget issue but if it doesnt matter to you the flex from what ive read is far superior.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a UDM and a Flex and I think the Flex is a better machine as it can do just about everything that the UDM does but better and faster. I agree with the other posts that say if you are just maintaining your vette and your other cars 2 or three a year then you will be fine. I however do a fair amount of paid detailing on cars that I dont maintain on a regular basis so the flex is great. An exterior detail that I use to do that took 8 to 10 hours now will take 4 or 5 hours with Interior maybe 6 hours with a real bad interior so I am making about 45 an hour. I did a full exterior detail on a land rover last year and it took almost 11 hours it was bad never waxed and it was a 2000 I did one last week and it took 4 hours (not as bad condition as the first0 but it may have been 6 hours with flex. Hope this helps.