autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

My Love Affair with the Flex XCE 125-8

So I took delivery of my new cordless Flex XCE. I was so excited to get rid of the damned cord that I forgot about the other beef I have with my beloved 3401...the heat. I have only used the new XCE on one vehicle so far but I'd like to share my experience. For those who don't know me (and justifiably as I haven't been around a lot in the last few years), I am a police officer in Ontario for 28 years and I do detailing on the side, specializing in Feynlab coatings. I have been using the 3401 for probably 10 years and I love, love, love the job it does. I have my own method of correcting using the 3401 to its fullest ability...but...it would get damned hot. Especially with heavy correcting. I would have to put it in front of my portable air conditioner in the hottest times.

Fast forward to last weekend. I did a 2017 Ford Edge (no pics, sorry) with a 2 step compound/polish. I wanted to test how long a battery would last. The time almost seems irrelevant. What I found that if I ran the battery down to 1 bar out of 4, I still had OK power but decided to change out the battery. I don't want to ever run the battery down to 0. I was able to do the 2 step process to the hood (no swirls so it wasn't bad at all), 2 fenders and the front bumper all on the same battery. I did buy a 3rd battery so that after using it, it will be put in a cool down stage while one is on the machine and one in the charger. This might be overkill but I waited a long time to get it and didn't want any issues if I get a major correction job.

My observations and feelings using the machine: I love how more quiet it is. Perhaps it is the brushless motor, but the motor emits a different sound than before and it is much less noisy. I hate background noise and always use noise cancelling buds when I work. I could not get it to heat up other than a slight, slight warming, but not hot by any means. The only other test I'd like to do is use it to correct a nasty, typical 4 hour correction time on a black, heavily swirled hood. From what I've seen so far, I am not concerned.

So, in summary, the improvements I found are:

1) Quiet running
    2) Cool running
    3) Good battery performance
    4) No power difference in correcting

The bar has now been moved significantly higher...well done Flex!!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: My Love Affair with the Flex XCE 125-8

I love my CBeast and I’ve been using the heck out of it lately polishing home theater subwoofer lacquer to a high gloss.

3. Likes richy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

good to hear from you richy, hope all is well!

5. Thanks richy thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Way cool to read your thoughts. I too have the 3401 and love it. But it was loud, heavy and did get hot, however, manageable for me. It was the noise that made me detail with ear plugs on. After 5+ years of heavy use and abuse, I have relegated the 3401 as my BACK - UP DA now that I have the corded Supa Beast.

Love it! It's quieter, easier to use, lighter and can correct IMO about 95%-99% of what the 3401 can do. The only difference is that yours is the cordless and mine is corded.

Either way, bot are excellent choices and are now the standard of the forced rotation DA's IMO.

KEEP ON ROCKING!
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

7. Thanks richy thanked for this post
    Likes dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dgage View Post
    I love my CBeast and I’ve been using the heck out of it lately polishing home theater subwoofer lacquer to a high gloss.
    The thing I'm looking forward to is being able to easily use it inside my house to polish my glass top stove! I've done it with the 3401 before but I prefer not having my dirty cords in the house.

Quote Originally Posted by VISITOR View Post
    good to hear from you richy, hope all is well!
    Thanks bud!! Yes, all is very good. In the last year I've managed to get back to less than the weight at which I was at when I was hired in 1994. I'm back in the pool training for the Can-Am competitive games next summer...going to compete in 5 different swimming events. The funny thing is it will have been 38 years since I have swam in a race!!! For some sick, twisted reason I'm actually looking forward to it, LOL.

Can-Am 2022 – 2022 Police Fire Games

Quote Originally Posted by Kamakaz1961 View Post
    Way cool to read your thoughts. I too have the 3401 and love it. But it was loud, heavy and did get hot, however, manageable for me. It was the noise that made me detail with ear plugs on. After 5+ years of heavy use and abuse, I have relegated the 3401 as my BACK - UP DA now that I have the corded Supa Beast.

Love it! It's quieter, easier to use, lighter and can correct IMO about 95%-99% of what the 3401 can do. The only difference is that yours is the cordless and mine is corded.

Either way, bot are excellent choices and are now the standard of the forced rotation DA's IMO.

KEEP ON ROCKING!
    Thanks! The true test will be difficult correction. I considered staying with the cord but I hate it too much, LOL. The only thing I haven't read yet is how long do they expect the motor to last since it doesn't require a change of brushes. Is there any other maintenance to it? I hope the motor lasts as long with no brushes.
    The other thing is I bought a Rupes polisher years ago that I used once or twice and hated it compared to the 3401. Gotta find that thing and turn it into cash. I now have 2 3401's as backup so I no longer need my inferior Rupes. (Them are fighting words, hehehehehehe)