autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: FLEX XCE 8-125

Post Thanks / Like

FLEX XCE 8-125

Hey guys, I'm interested in a cordless polisher. I've had my Flex 3401 since 2007 and still love the thing, but all of my tools have pretty much moved to cordless and I'd like my polisher to follow suit.

I'm having trouble finding a lot of good info on the FLEX XCE 8-125

Do any of you guys have it and does anyone have one to compare to the 3401?

Any help would be greatly appreciated?

Thanks

- Jason

Post Thanks / Like

Re: FLEX XCE 8-125

I own the 3401 and the cordless Beast. Overall I am very impressed with the performance, and I have moved to using it 95% of the time over my 3401 because I don't have a cord dragging around with me. The battery technology is great. You will get every last bit of power out of the battery before it dies. That said, after a few minutes you will hear it or notice it slow down a bit running on speed 5 or 6 to maintain and conserve battery power. I've never had an issue with it, but that's just part of battery technology vs. a corded tool. I was able to do a 1 step correction on a customers GMC Sierra Denali 2500 crew cab on just over 2 batteries. I used 1/2 of a third battery. Honestly, you won't regret buying it. Just don't expect the full time power you get with a corded tool.
    Owner/Operator Auto Massage LLC - www.automassagellc.com
    Custom painter and commissioned artist - www.spikedairstudio.com

3. Thanks jshillin thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Mike P. Has at least a few articles on that.

Google Mike Phillips flex xce, or some other combination. You'll find something that way.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

5. Thanks jshillin thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jshillin View Post
    Hey guys, I'm interested in a cordless polisher. I've had my Flex 3401 since 2007 and still love the thing, but all of my tools have pretty much moved to cordless and I'd like my polisher to follow suit.

I'm having trouble finding a lot of good info on the FLEX XCE 8-125

Do any of you guys have it and does anyone have one to compare to the 3401?

Any help would be greatly appreciated?

Thanks

- Jason
    Jason, are you a pro or a hobbyist? And if you are a pro, what are your goals? Mike P is focused on getting the jobs done as quickly as possible so he usually reaches for the most powerful tool to get the job done. So if you want the job done as quickly as possible, you’ll want to stay with the 3401. If you don’t want to deal with the cord, you’ll probably lose 10-15% efficiency by switching to cordless. But for me, as a hobbyist, the switch was so worth it as dealing with the cords was incredibly annoying.

7. Thanks jshillin thanked for this post
    Likes JustJesus liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dgage View Post
    Jason, are you a pro or a hobbyist? And if you are a pro, what are your goals? Mike P is focused on getting the jobs done as quickly as possible so he usually reaches for the most powerful tool to get the job done. So if you want the job done as quickly as possible, you’ll want to stay with the 3401. If you don’t want to deal with the cord, you’ll probably lose 10-15% efficiency by switching to cordless. But for me, as a hobbyist, the switch was so worth it as dealing with the cords was incredibly annoying.

I'm a hobbyist that hates cords... I've switched almost all of my other tools over to Milwaukee M12 & M18.

If it's only a 10-15% loss, I'm more than good with that just to keep from dragging an extension cord around. I seem to polish more vehicles away from home than I have at home, so it would make life easier.

Is it worth the $500 price tag for the Flex with 2 batteries?

9. Likes John U liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spikey Mike View Post
    I own the 3401 and the cordless Beast. Overall I am very impressed with the performance, and I have moved to using it 95% of the time over my 3401 because I don't have a cord dragging around with me. The battery technology is great. You will get every last bit of power out of the battery before it dies. That said, after a few minutes you will hear it or notice it slow down a bit running on speed 5 or 6 to maintain and conserve battery power. I've never had an issue with it, but that's just part of battery technology vs. a corded tool. I was able to do a 1 step correction on a customers GMC Sierra Denali 2500 crew cab on just over 2 batteries. I used 1/2 of a third battery. Honestly, you won't regret buying it. Just don't expect the full time power you get with a corded tool.
    Thanks. That is the info I'm looking for! Do you have a 3rd battery or did the 1st battery charge enough before the 2nd died?

Post Thanks / Like

Is it worth the $500 price tag for the Flex with 2 batteries?
    Hard to say. Some say Mercedes are expensive and for others they are a good value. My first question would be as compared to what? I know Ryobi and Dewalt have cordless polishers but I’m not sure how they compare to the Flex polisher but Flex has more experience making polishers. I also don’t think they’re forced rotation so may stall on complex body panels. I’m sure you could save some money but I’m not sure it’d be worth it.

I have a bunch of Milwaukee M12 tools but I wanted an impact wrench. I bought my first M18 tool, an impact wrench and ended up paying near $375 for their most powerful 1/2” impact wrench and 2 batteries, just for taking off lug nuts quickly. I won’t use it often but I think it was worth it because I was getting tired of removing lug nuts manually. Corded would have been much cheaper but like you, I was willing to spend for the convenience.

For me, the $500 or so for the cordless Flex was worth it as I was beyond tired of messing with cords. But that was most definitely a luxury purchase as I already had a Griot G9 and G8. Even more of a luxury was the Flex Pxe I bought a couple months later but is oh so much more pleasurable to use.

12. Thanks jps832 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hard to say. Some say Mercedes are expensive and for others they are a good value. My first question would be as compared to what? I know Ryobi and Dewalt have cordless polishers but I don’t think they’re as good as the Flex polisher, which makes sense with Flex’s experience. I also don’t think they’re forced rotation so may stall in complex body panels. I’m sure you could save some money but I’m not sure it’d be worth it.

I have a bunch of Milwaukee M12 tools but I wanted an impact wrench. I bought my first M18 tool, an impact wrench and ended up paying near $375 for their most powerful 1/2” impact wrench and 2 batteries, just for taking off lug nuts quickly. I won’t use it often but I think it was worth it because I was getting tired of removing lug nuts manually. Corded would have been much cheaper but like you, I was willing to spend for the convenience.

For me, the $500 or so for the cordless Flex was worth it as I was beyond tired of messing with cords. But that was most definitely a luxury purchase as I already had a Griot G9 and G8. Even more of a luxury was the Flex Pxe I bought a couple months later but is oh so much more pleasurable to use.
    Thanks and it sounds like we think alike. I have the same M18 impact, then got the M12 stubby and just bought the new M18 Mid-torque.

How is the pxe compared to the xce?

With the coupon code today, it puts the XCE kit at $492... I've been looking at it for months and couldn't bring myself to pay full price.

Post Thanks / Like

With the coupon code today, it puts the XCE kit at $492... I've been looking at it for months and couldn't bring myself to pay full price.

Well, you've been around here for a good while, so you know how seldom coupon codes are valid on polishers ...

Post Thanks / Like

I know Ryobi and Dewalt have cordless polishers but I don’t think they’re as good as the Flex polisher, which makes sense with Flex’s experience. I also don’t think they’re forced rotation so may stall in complex body panels.
    Maybe a matter of opinion, or preference?

Some guy referred to me as the Flex Whisperer, perhaps cuz my love for the 3401, as well as the other Flex tools and accessories I own. So, it should be noted I have nothing but love for the brand.

Now, I also appreciate my DeWalt cordless tools. I do own the 15mm polisher. It's not forced rotation, but I rather enjoy using it. And as much as I love my two 3401s, I found myself reaching for the DeWalt because no cord. Love having no cord!!!

I will eventually get the Flex XCE. Some day.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

16. Likes dgage liked this post
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast