autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Next choice: question about polishers.

I agree with Mike 100%. I have long ditched my free spinning devices. Now I correct with either a rotary or the 3401 first, then polish with my CBeast(XCE cordless). Man what a nice combination to knock out any project. Being able to do that last step polish with the cordless is a true pleasure.

I may try the new corded Supa Beast at some point but my 3401 just keeps working so no reason to change at the moment,

For what its worth, I just got my CBeast and love it. A very capable tool. I did a side by side comparison with the 3401. Using a fresh pad on each, same polish, same pressure, same arm speed, and same number of passes, there is no doubt, the 3401 corrects better/quicker. I think that is just he inherent nature of a corded model having more power. However, I was really surprised that the CBeast really did a pretty good job. Not as good but pretty darn good considering.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Yeah - she just glistens in the garage.

I'll stick to what I shared in post #3 in this article,

FLEX Power Tools Nicknames - All cool tools should have a nickname - not a part number -Mike Phillips

Here's my take on the above 3 gear-driven tools

The BEAST
    If I REALLY want to bust out a job and plow through it as fast as humanly possible I use the BEAST.

The Supa BEAST
    If not trying to hit Warp Speed - I grab the Supa Beast, much more enjoyable to use. Amazing tool. Smoother, quieter, lighter and cooler than the original.

The CBEAST
    If I have an easy job, that means the car has only light swirls, scratches, etc. and I'm not in a hurry then I grab the CBEAST.

I have changed my mind about the 6" backing plate. I much prefer it over the 5" factory backing plate WITH the right pads and right now my favorite 7" pads for the 6" backing plate on the BEAST, the Supa BEAST and the CBEAST are the RUPES yellow and white pads. I'm still not liking the new RUPES blue foam formula.

When cutting or compounding with the BEAST and the Supa BEAST I'm still using the Lake Country Force Hybrid 6.5" Orange Foam Cutting Pad. I'm not sure I'll like this shape or thickness on the CBEAST though. Will do some searching and experimenting.

The CBEAST is a very capable tool. The ability to buff out a car without a power cord is awesome. The GEAR-DRIVEN aspect means no wasting time wit pad stalling. And larger TAPERED foam pads work best with these 3 tools.

Yes. Max power does fall off but I have not monitored at what point. Still - I'll take a a slower rpm/opm with a gear-driven orbital all day over a free spinning.

The BEASTS - All BRAWL - ZERO STALL

Hope that helps...

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Trevine View Post

I agree with Mike 100%. I have long ditched my free spinning devices.

There's still a time and paint "type" for free spinning tools, mostly softer paints where fee spinning random orbital polishers will tend to finish out nicer with less chance for micro-marring.

For what its worth, I just got my CBeast and love it. A very capable tool. I did a side by side comparison with the 3401. Using a fresh pad on each, same polish, same pressure, same arm speed, and same number of passes, there is no doubt, the 3401 corrects better/quicker.

I think that is just he inherent nature of a corded model having more power.

However, I was really surprised that the CBeast really did a pretty good job. Not as good but pretty darn good considering.

Here's a recent article I wrote sharing what I consider the best pad options at this time.

Buffing Pad Recommendations for the FLEX BEASTS Trio - BEAST - Supa BEAST - CBEAST

And I'm going to add the 7" Buff and Shine Uro-Tec foam pads for all the BEASTS.

I've been using them on most of my detail work lately and they work great.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    There's still a time and paint "type" for free spinning tools, mostly softer paints where fee spinning random orbital polishers will tend to finish out nicer with less chance for micro-marring.
    I know you sell them all so you have to be careful BUT, I have zero issues with soft paint on either of the flex gear driven models I use. IMO, the stalling is just a pure waste of time and hassle.

Soft paint has nothing to do with stalling. Everyone has their preferences for sure but I will take the gear drive in any situation.

Thanks for your support to the detailing community. Now could you please ship my backordered PXE 80????

Mike Phillips

Hi Trevine,

Apologies that I just now found your post from back in January of this year, (2021). As I type it's July of 2021, so I'm only late by about 6 months.

I know you sell them all so you have to be careful BUT, I have zero issues with soft paint on either of the flex gear driven models I use.
    Good to hear and good for you.

IMO, the stalling is just a pure waste of time and hassle.
    There's a lot of people that will agree with you and there's also a camp of people that will disagree with you.

Me? I stopped arguing with people years ago. I'm happy with my own opinion based upon decades of experience and I'm also happy with anyone and everyone else's opinions based upon their experience.

But just to point out - there are two opinions or two camps on the topic of pad stalling in our industry. As long as everyone is happy with thier polisher of choice - that's all that matters.

Soft paint has nothing to do with stalling.
    I know this and agree. I've NEVER said paint softness or paint hardness has a thing to do with pad stalling. Never.

Everyone has their preferences for sure but I will take the gear drive in any situation.
    For most cars and most paint types I also use a gear-driven orbital. My detailing style is not like everyone else's and I'm okay with that. My style is to plow through a car as fast as I can WHILE maintaining pro-grade results.

Thanks for your support to the detailing community.
    It's what I do. My first how-to article on the Internet dates back to 1994, that's 27 years in human years as I type this post in the year 2021.

Now could you please ship my back-ordered PXE 80????

I'm hoping by now, 6-months later since you made this post that you have received your FLEX PiXiE. If not, contact customer care as I'm not really involved with processing orders, back orders or shipping. I don't even have the software needed on my work computer.

Here's their number,

1-800-869-3011

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234