autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Flex 3401

Quote Originally Posted by JustJesus View Post
    ahhhh the 3401.

I love the 3401

OMG, that's sweet ...

Except now that you've detailed your polisher you're gonna need an LSP on that chrome housing.

Quote Originally Posted by luckydawg View Post
    Mike
    What is the reason for them to discontinue the 3401?

Planned obsolescence. From year 2 in the standard Engineering curriculum.

They need to ad an addendum to Murphy's Laws ... "Anything that is good will be discontinued by the manufacturer."

2. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 57Rambler View Post
    OMG, that's sweet ...

Except now that you've detailed your polisher you're gonna need an LSP on that chrome housing.

Thank you!

I was thinking about ceramic coating, actually! At least a sealant.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Is your new Supa a corded or battery? I'm torn between 3401 or XCE8-125. There have been a few mentions on this forum of the battery powered XCE being a bit down on power compared to the 3401. I currently do heavy to medium correction with a Milwaukee rotary then remove holograms and such with Griot's Boss21 long throw. I'm looking for something more capable than the Griot's Boss21 for correction so I don't have to pull out the rotary so often for scratches and such.
    I've been doing this professionally since 1985 and I'm pretty good at it. I'm not necessarily interested in how fast I can get the job done. Just continue to strive to efficiently turn out the finest work possible. I take care of a wide variety of cars and paint surfaces.

Classic Beast 3401?
    Supa XCE 8-125?
    Supa XCE8-125 18v?
    Rupes Mille?
    Just stick with my tried and true Griot's Boss?

I'm just feeling the need for something new and interesting.
    I might get a cordless rotary to complement my ancient but reliable Milwaukee rotary too.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Got my FLEX 3401 today!

If you are thinking cordless you can't beat the Flex.

Having owned a 3401 and currently own the XCE cordless I would not go back to the 3401.

But perhaps a corded XCE with max power is what you want. Cordless is a little less. Only you can tell if that matters. I find highest setting on 3401 just generated more heat which isn't great. Perhaps corded XCE is better in that regard.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by BigGar View Post

I'm not necessarily interested in how fast I can get the job done. Just continue to strive to efficiently turn out the finest work possible.

In post #3 of this article I share my take on the three different options when it comes to the FLEX BEAST Family.

FLEX Power Tools Nicknames - All cool tools should have a nickname - not a part number -Mike Phillips

The below is just a portion of the article.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Some people have asked or wondered about the differences between the 3 different version of the original 8mm gear-drive BEAST.

BEAST = 480 RPM and 9,600 OPM

Supa BEAST = 430 RPM and 8,600 OPM

CBEAST = 380 RPM and 7,600 OPM

Here's my take on the above 3 gear-driven tools

The BEAST
    If I REALLY want to bust out a job and plow through it as fast as humanly possible I use the BEAST.

The Supa BEAST
    If not trying to hit Warp Speed - I grab the Supa Beast, much more enjoyable to use. Amazing tool. Smoother, quieter, lighter and cooler than the original.

The CBEAST
    If I have an easy job, that means the car has only light swirls, scratches, etc. and I'm not in a hurry then I grab the CBEAST.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I use the Supa BEAST for almost all my work now days. Refined Power. Pro Results.

7. Thanks BigGar thanked for this post
    Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by luckydawg View Post

Mike

What is the reason for them to discontinue the 3401?

Hope there have something to replace it

Chris Metcalf from FLEX North America says their are multiple reasons the original is being discontinued. From memory,

1: New model is improved,

1. Quieter.
    2. Lighter.
    3. Smoother.
    4. Cooler.

2: Handle breaking was an issue on the original version, for example if the tool was dropped from a distance onto hard ground like concrete. The new design incorporates a rubber overmold onto the head of the unit for easier gripping and use.

3: New version streamlines manufacturing as it uses the same chassis used for other tools.

For anyone reading this into the future, if you want one of the originals, you better get one while the getting is good.

Also - better pick up an extra backing plate or 2 or 3. I'm not sure how long FLEX will continue to offer the backing plates down the road. My guess is for at least a few years as thousands of these tools have been sold since they were introduced back in 2007.

Gear-Driven Orbital Polisher History by Mike Phillips

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345