autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Flex 3401 problems

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Also...

Because this is your first post,

Welcome to AutogeekOnline!

I just approved your pending account a few minutes ago - I recognize the forum nickname.

I've sent Chris the link to this e-mail. I'll share what I find out next time I'm in the office. Right now I have to go buff this out.

Is that towel hiding something?

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by BSoares View Post

Find the video on YT showing how to replace and pull them out and inspect, reinstall, that might just take care of the issue.
    What Bruce said above.

The FLEX tools are build like TANKS. Could be just a cleaning and re-insertion and you're back in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by xabo View Post

Is that towel hiding something?

I usually post stuff like this in the forum group for asking me questions. Here you go....

New Mystery Product Testing - Review on Monday June 8th 2020 - HAMMERED 1937 Ford Roadster Streetrod

I have posted a few videos to my FB page too.

Post Thanks / Like

I like how Mike always calls me Bruce
    Bruno Soares

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok, so it’s not the brushes. Sounds crazy but the brushes are firing off. If you turn polisher to the right, the right brush sparks strong and left brush is weak, then if you turn left, the left brush is strong and right is weak, I guess this is where the surge comes from. Would you think it’s the armature or speed control? These parts are pretty pricy. Just wanna try to get it right the first time. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

I don't see how that rules out the brushes.

Take them out and see how much life is left in them. If they are almost gone you might have the experience you are describing.

6. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

The only reason I am against the brushes is because the machine prob only has @ 25 hours on it but, I guess it could be.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RandallPinkFloyd View Post
    The only reason I am against the brushes is because the machine prob only has @ 25 hours on it but, I guess it could be.
    I agree that doesn't make sense with 25 hours on the unit. I was just commenting that the tools symptoms do not rule it out. But tool lifetime would.

Post Thanks / Like

Are there brushes "cupped"?

One simple stab at a fix is to reverse the brushes in their respective housings, or switch them (right one to left slot, left one to right....).

If that doesn't work, I would lean heavily toward new brushes. With a German-built machine such as the Flex, I would highly doubt the armature would be out of spec enough to cause loss of brush contact.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Mike Phillips

I sent the link to this thread to Chris Metcalf at FLEX - here's what he replied.

I'll back him up on using the right gauge extension cord. I don't know that this is the root cause but for everyone reading this into the future - don't use light gauge cords with quality tools.

From Chris,

Mike

This is sometimes cause because the tool has been used with the wrong size extension cord. We recommend a 12 gauge no more than 50’.

The tool has a 1 year warranty from the date it was sold. He can send it to powerhouse with a copy of receipt and a description of what is wrong.

I would still say look at the extension cord size and use this as a learning experience

Parts for XC3401VRG | Powerhouse Distributing

Chris

11. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I have plugged up straight to a outlet with the same results. Maybe I will swap the brushes or order a new set to rule that out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post

I sent the link to this thread to Chris Metcalf at FLEX - here's what he replied.

I'll back him up on using the right gauge extension cord. I don't know that this is the root cause but for everyone reading this into the future - don't use light gauge cords with quality tools.

From Chris,

Mike

This is sometimes cause because the tool has been used with the wrong size extension cord. We recommend a 12 gauge no more than 50’.

The tool has a 1 year warranty from the date it was sold. He can send it to powerhouse with a copy of receipt and a description of what is wrong.

I would still say look at the extension cord size and use this as a learning experience

Parts for XC3401VRG | Powerhouse Distributing

Chris

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast