autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Flex PXE80 pad/wetsanding pads/sandpaper questions

Hi folks,

Could someone that uses the PXE 80 please let me know what pads you use?

My wife got this for me on ur 28th wedding anniversary and I am trying to also see what 1” sanding things I could use with it.

My use for the 1” would be to do wet sanding for small areas and also use it for headlight restoration....I would need 3000 grit and fore some other things as high as 5000 grit.

I appreciate all the help

Mike Phillips

Re: Flex PXE80 pad/wetsanding pads/sandpaper questions

I cut my own 1" discs out of 3M Trizact and Mirka Abralon 6" discs. These both have a velcro backing so you can use them with the 1" velcro backing plate instead of the 1" sanding backing plate.

For most people - you want the foam backing behind the above sanding discs and the stick-on type 1" sanding discs (3M makes them), don't "sand good" at least not very smooth.

I don't even try to cut them perfectly round, it's not that important. Just take a ink pen or permanent marker, find something about 1" around, like the backing plate for the PiXiE and trace around it.

3. Likes Pop.Tremuloides liked this post
    Mike Phillips

From this thread from 2014 - LONG before the PiXiE or the Nano were invented.

Rupes TA50 Mini Sander - First look...

Pick your poison... or in this case, your favorite brand of sanding discs.... 3M Trizact or Meguiar's Unigrit....

Not sure what the future holds for 2" sanding discs but I'm a guy that lives by the philosophy,

"Whatever it takes"

So I just made my own using some scissors and an ink pen. I drew the circles quickly and cut them out just as quickly, I already know some guys will freak out because the perimeter isn't a perfect circle or the edge soft as velvet but when you're sanding in a tight area, up and down an A-pillar or along a raised body line or edge of a panel you're already supposed to be paying attention and being careful.

The big picture to me goes like this,

It already takes a long time to completely wetsand, cut and buff an entire car, why would I want to do anything that would make it take longer?

So of course, be careful, if you like take more time cutting out your own custom discs and maybe even do more steps to refine the edges. While you're doing that I'll be sanding.

Using the Rupes TA50 with #3000 Trizact to edge a panel on a 1963 Impala SS

Million ways to skin a cat....

(no harm intended PETE, just a saying)

5. Likes Pop.Tremuloides liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow Mike!!!! You made things get soooooo much easier for me. Thank you so much for showing all the pictures and how you make your discs!!!!!