autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Polishing my gel coat Motorhome with the Supa Beast - any pad recommendations?

Hey Flex users, I'm strategizing how to polish and wax my 33' Winnebago Motorhome (a 2016 "retro" Brave 31C) this summer.

Photo: Imgur: The magic of the Internet

Based on my research so far (which includes Mike's excellent how-to book), I plan to do the following:

1. Gel coat safe wash and rinse (Meguiar's Marine/RV Rich Suds Gel Wash, M54)
    2. Oxidation remover on the fiberglass roof, applied via boat brush (Meguiar's Marine/RV Heavy Duty Oxidation Remover, M49)
    3. Gel coat surface prep, performed via Supa Beast + Griot's 6" Surface Prep pad (along with liberal amounts of spray lube, either the Gel Wash or Griot's Speed Shine - will confirm on test spot)
    4. Gel coat "one step" cleaner wax, applied via Supa Beast (Meguiar's Marine/RV One Step Cleaner Wax, M50)

In addition to the Supa Beast (stock 5" backing plate), I've also got a CBEAST (stock 5" backing plate) and PiXiE (stock 1" & 3" backing plates) in my inventory as well.

Any recommendations for pads to use with the gel coat "one step" cleaner wax?

Right now I own:
    • 6.5" / 3" Griot's BOSS Orange Correcting pads
    • 6.5" / 3" Griot's Red Waxing pads
    • 6" / 3" / 1" Buff and Shine Uro-Tec Maroon Medium Cut pads
    • 6" / 3" / 1" Buff and Shine Uro-Tec Yellow Polishing pads
    • 6" / 3" / 1" Buff and Shine Uro-Tec Soft White finishing pads

Any other tips for tackling this gel-coated monster (you know, like "stay hydrated!") would also be greatly appreciated.

Mike Phillips

Re: Polishing my gel coat Motorhome with the Supa Beast - any pad recommendations?

Quote Originally Posted by JonInVA View Post

Hey Flex users, I'm strategizing how to polish and wax my 33' Winnebago Motorhome (a 2016 "retro" Brave 31C) this summer.

Based on my research so far (which includes Mike's excellent how-to book), I plan to do the following:

2. Oxidation remover on the fiberglass roof, applied via boat brush (Meguiar's Marine/RV Heavy Duty Oxidation Remover, M49)
    3. Gel coat surface prep, performed via Supa Beast + Griot's 6" Surface Prep pad (along with liberal amounts of spray lube, either the Gel Wash or Griot's Speed Shine - will confirm on test spot)
    4. Gel coat "one step" cleaner wax, applied via Supa Beast (Meguiar's Marine/RV One Step Cleaner Wax, M50)

The step 3? Do you mean this?

Griots Garage 6 inch Surface Prep Pad

If so, you would use this after washing and drying the Motorhome, not after the oxidation remover.

Normally you remove above surface bonded contaminant and then go oxidation and below surface defects in this order.

Mike Phillips

Re: Polishing my gel coat Motorhome with the Supa Beast - any pad recommendations?

In addition to the Supa Beast (stock 5" backing plate), I've also got a CBEAST (stock 5" backing plate) and PiXiE (stock 1" & 3" backing plates) in my inventory as well.

Right now I own:

I would TEST the Uro-Tec Maroon pads and the Griot's BOSS orange pads.

Test to see which one removes oxidation the beat and ALSO finishes out the best.

Take your hand and feel the face of the maroon pad? Feel how SHARP the foam feels? It's pretty sharp. That's good for cutting and removing oxidation but it can also leave Pad Haze, which is a type of micro-marring.

Although the Griot's BOSS orange pads are called foam CUTTING pads, once they get a little product on them, (get wet), they are basically foam POLISHING pads.

They should work good though and be very safe.

I tend to like THICKER pads on gear-drive tools and BOSS pads are as THIN as you can get when it comes to foam pads.

For the cleaner/wax step, use the Uro-Tec yellow polishing pads.

4. Thanks JonInVA thanked for this post
    Likes JonInVA liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes indeed, and of course you're right. Wash/rinse/dry, THEN surface prep/dry, THEN oxidation remover/rinse/dry, THEN polish. I had #2 and #3 backwards because I'm not sure I'll need to use the Oxidation remover on the sides, but it definitely needs it on the roof. I was thinking "just get the roof done with a boat brush before breaking out the Flex."

Whatever I plan to use the Oxidation remover on, I'll have it surface prepped BEFORE I apply it.

Edit - thanks for the pad recommendations. I agree on the BOSS pads, I have yet to use them with any of my Flex polishers. I'm transitioning to gear-driven Flex from Griot's random orbitals, so I've still got them lying around.

Mike Phillips

Edit - thanks for the pad recommendations. I agree on the BOSS pads, I have yet to use them with any of my Flex polishers. I'm transitioning to gear-driven Flex from Griot's random orbitals, so I've still got them lying around.

Definitely use them up.

Pay attention to how the tool bodies react when you buff from a plane to plane. For example from a curved panel to a flat panel or from a flat panel to a curved panel. Mostly when buffing out a car. RVs are mostly flat.

I think you'll find the thicker Buff & Shine pads will buff smoother than the flat pads.

That's my experience.

Down the road, consider this for the Supa Beast - especially for large motorhomes.

Supa BEAST backing plate swap

And then get some Lake Country 6.5" Force Hybrid pads.

Lake Country Hybrid Power Finish 6.5 Inch Pads

I can plow through just about any project with a collection of,

Orange
    White
    Black

Mostly the orange and white.

7. Thanks JonInVA thanked for this post
    Likes JonInVA liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Right now I own:

Any other tips for tackling this gel-coated monster (you know, like "stay hydrated!") would also be greatly appreciated.
    All I can recommend is "Have Fun".

9. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    All I can recommend is "Have Fun".
    And buy aspirin.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

11. Likes Eldorado2k liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    And buy aspirin.
    No doubt.

If you’ve got 1 of those detailing belts, now’s the time to use it.. Because even if you work smart and efficient there’s still a good chance your legs will be sore after a full day of washing and polishing a big RV like that. You never think climbing a few steps of a ladder can take such a toll until you do it all day and wake up sore the next day. Lol.

13. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    You never think climbing a few steps of a ladder can take such a toll until you do it all day and wake up sore the next day. Lol.
    I think about it every day, Ric. I'm 50 with an AARP card to prove it!
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

15. Likes Eldorado2k liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Will definitely report back on all experiences - including delayed-onset muscle soreness! Thanks all!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast