autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

FLEX PE14-2-150 for heavy polishing without overheating?

I own a Flex L3403 VRG and am dissapointed with it. It overheats and starts making clicking sound that kicks the machine on and off. And I know this is due to the pressure I use on it and probably the 8 inch wool pad on it. I am also using 12 guage extension cord. I am very dissapointed to say the least.

So now I have to send it in for repairs. My question is, should I get it repaired and start using 6 inch wool pads? Or should I buy the FLEX PE14-2-150? Will the PE14-2-150 overheat like the L3403 VRG? Can I use 8" wool pads with the Flex PE14-2-150?

Thanks for any advice

Mike Phillips

Re: FLEX PE14-2-150 for heavy polishing without overheating?

Quote Originally Posted by Buff-N-Glo View Post

I own a Flex L3403 VRG and am dissapointed with it. It overheats and starts making clicking sound that kicks the machine on and off. And I know this is due to the pressure I use on it and probably the 8 inch wool pad on it. I am also using 12 guage extension cord. I am very dissapointed to say the least.
    When I came to work at Autogeek the PE14 had not been invented and the FLEX rotary choices at the time were the 3402 and the 603 and I didn't like either of them.

So now I have to send it in for repairs. My question is, should I get it repaired and start using 6 inch wool pads?

Or should I buy the FLEX PE14-2-150? Will the PE14-2-150 overheat like the L3403 VRG?

I'd get the PE14 and never look back.

If buffing out cars I'll tend to use the cordless PE14 with the new RUPES 5" and 6" wool pads, like you see in this boat class thread,

Pictures: 2020 Boat Detailing Class - SOLD OUT!

Can I use 8" wool pads with the Flex PE14-2-150?

Thanks for any advice
    You can but I wouldn't.

ANY brand of rotary buffer when used hard with a large pad is going to overhead.

Someone on this form years ago stated they liked the DeWALT 849X because it wouldn't overhead. I beg to differ.

I tell a story somewhere on this forum about newbies buffing out oxidized boats and then how I re-buffed the boat. Point being, if you're not machine sanding a boat you have to LEAN into the rotary to really cut. Like this,

This is how you lean into the buffer....

DeWALT 849X sans handle and grabbing the rubber overmold on the head of the unit and the pushing down hard...

Pictures: 24' Pro-Line Center Console - Detailing Class - 2013

And the middle of that DeWALT 849X go so hot you couldn't touch it. So don't buy into anyone telling you brand X rotary buffer doesn't get hot. If you're man-handling any tool - it's going to get hot. That's why you hold the tool at the extreme ends of the tool.

Mike Phillips

Question

What kind of rotary work are you doing?

Body Shop cut and buff?

Boat detailing?

Car detailing?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Question

What kind of rotary work are you doing?

Body Shop cut and buff?

Boat detailing?

Car detailing?

Mostly boats. I like the Flex L3403 vrg because of it's light weight. However it was not made to be man handled with 8" pads. It has been overheating and clicking on and off. Now I am probably going to send it in to be repaired, and start using 6" wool pads instead of 8". But if I run into this problem again, would the Flex PE14-2-150 be a beefier machine that can be man handled and not click on and off under heavy pressure?

Mike Phillips

would the Flex PE14-2-150 be a beefier machine that can be man handled and not click on and off under heavy pressure?
    Definitely. But the correct size pad would be like the 6" RUPES pads. These are a really nice cutting pad and the perfect size for the PE14

Post Thanks / Like

You want a work horse that can handle 8" wool pads, get a DeWalt.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Definitely. But the correct size pad would be like the 6" RUPES pads. These are a really nice cutting pad and the perfect size for the PE14

Thanks, I was looking at the stats on both polishers. And it says that they both have the same amount of wattage imput and output. Does one have a better motor?