autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Flex XFE15 150 18.0-EC Underwhelming

My Rupes 15 MKII finally gave out on me, so I ended up getting the Cordless Flex version of it. Is there anywhere to make it more powerful? Feels so underwhelming, stalls more, edges on the MKII were mediocre, on the XFE 15 EC they're so brutal. I have loads of tools at my disposal so it's OK, just a little disappointed on how weak this tool is compared to the Rupes.

Mike Phillips

Re: Flex XFE15 150 18.0-EC Underwhelming

I've used this tool a lot.....

What pads are you using?

I'm assuming your spinning the factory backing plate which should be a 6" backing plate.

Post Thanks / Like

Mike, I just got mine C-Fin and they come with a 5 inch backing plate.

To the OP. This machine isn’t a grinder. It is made for finishing work. Not really designed for heavy compounding. Mine churns and turns 5.5 inch Lake Country Force Hybrid pads rather nicely. It also spins 6.5 inch Lake Country Force Hybrid pads nicely with a backing plate swap. Is you battery fully charged?
    Jim

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Oldz View Post

Mike, I just got mine C-Fin and they come with a 5 inch backing plate.
    They originally came with the 6". I thought they changed this so that's why I asked.

To the OP. This machine isn’t a grinder. It is made for finishing work. Not really designed for heavy compounding.
    Correct, it's not the Corrector, it's the FINISHER.

I have experienced people that held the wrong expectations for this tool and forgot the name.

Not say this is you VT675 - just saying for all those that read this into the future.

Mine churns and turns 5.5 inch Lake Country Force Hybrid pads rather nicely.
    When this tool first came out and I wrote my review, I struggled to maintain pad rotation with 5.5" pads, especially thin pads, which goes against my normal thinking and experience.

It also spins 6.5 inch Lake Country Force Hybrid pads nicely with a backing plate swap.
    This is what I use and show on 20 of these tools in my classes.

Bigger, thicker pads goes against my normal thinking and experience with FREE SPINNING random orbital polishers but when I switched over to these years ago I found the tool was better able to maintain pad rotation.

I had 133 people take my class in 2019 if memory serves me correctly. At least that many in 2018.

With the 6.5" LC Force Hybrid pads on this tool, I must say the majority of people liked this set-up and of course, I show all the popular tools on the market so they are comparing this tool to both the RUPES and Griot's BOSS 15mm free spinning long stroke orbital polishers.

This doesn't mean it's perfect, no free spinning orbital is without stalling issues, this is why I'm primarily of GD Guy.

Is you battery fully charged?
    Good question.

Post Thanks / Like

To add: Don’t forget the balance is a bit different than what you are used to also. So there may be an adjustment untill you figure out how to hold the pad perfectly flat.
    Jim

6. Thanks Thomkirby, John U thanked for this post
    Mike Phillips

To add: Don’t forget the balance is a bit different than what you are used to also.

So there may be an adjustment until you figure out how to hold the pad perfectly flat.

Good point. Important point.

To the OP VT675

If you're not already doing this, train yourself to use the Power Lock Button and lock the speed trigger into place after turning the tool on. And then move your hand back to the back of the tools and hold the back of the tool by the BATTERY - not the actual tool handle.

The below are of me holding the cordless PE14 but the grip style applies to any of the FLEX cordless tools.

Like this,

Not this,

8. Likes Thomkirby liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the reply Mike, I just think my expectations of this tool were unrealistic. The first couple passes I learned that holding it by the battery would yield better balance and resit stalling, still compared to my MKII it stalls in areas where the MKII wouldn't. Power wise it actually feels like the MK1 without the washer mod, I've been using the Rupes system since inception and got to a level where I would prefer it over the forced rotation and even the rotary.

Now, I'm reaching for the forced rotation and rotary way too often and I don't like it -- I don't mind it they're all amazing tools I just feel like this was a downgrade over an upgrade. I'm applying years of experience using the Rupes system to this tool, same pads that worked on the MKII and it's just not delivering. It seems you're using more thicker pads with it?

Currently all the MF pads work the same, it's the foam that I'm having issues with. 3D Spider Pads, Scholl Concepts Spider Pads, even the Rupes Yellow pads are giving me stalling where none existed before. I feel with the MKII, I could power through almost anything. I used to use LC pads very often, delaminating and shredding as well as poor customer service pushed me away from that company.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by VT675 View Post

It seems you're using more thicker pads with it?

Just seems I obtained best pad rotation with the larger, thicker LC 6.5" Hybrid pads over any other pad I've used.

Me? I'm a BEAST guy, I don't have time for pad stalling with any brand of tool or stroke length. The exception to this is when working on soft paints that tend to finish out better with a free spinning random orbital polisher versus a gear-driven tool.

I'm not sure what the return policy is for tools on the AG store or anywhere for that matter?

Post Thanks / Like

If I can share a short story. I attended Mike’s 2 day class last summer in Denver. Mike does an excellent job of keeping the “System” recommended by each manufacturer. But, on day 2 Mike says “Go play” As far as trying out different tools/pads/compounds... I actually bought the corded version the day after that class. But in the class, the combo that I found to work very well, was The Finisher, teamed up with Rupes Mille yellow pads. That is my finishing combo on just about every car. If it’s very hammered, I cut with a Rupes rotary, and finish with the Flex 15

Mike Phillips

Thanks for chiming in Billy.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Baldone View Post

If I can share a short story. I attended Mike’s 2 day class last summer in Denver. Mike does an excellent job of keeping the “System” recommended by each manufacturer.

But, on day 2 Mike says “Go play”
    Correct.

As a professional courtesy to companies like RUPES and Griot's, (companies that offer complete "systems"), I show their system AS A SYSTEM and let everyone make up thier own mind as to what they think or like or don't like.

Then after we work through all the differnet tool types and brands eventually we get to what I call,

Free-for-All

This is where everyone can use any tool and pad combo they choose BUT it's also when were going over what I teach called,

Production Detailing

That's where you're only using an AIO - no dedicated compounds, polishes and ceramic coatings. (we've covered this when we worked through the multiple tool sets)

My classes are very encompassing.

That was a fun class too!

Pictures: Colorado Roadshow Class- Denver Auto Shield

Just by happen-stance, look at the color code of some of the cars the class trained on.

And I extracted just the pictures from ONE TOPIC covered in my classes and wrote this article, which is the REAL DEAL.

The SECRET to Wet Wash Engine Detailing by Mike Phillips

Here's Billy spraying the engine compartment down with SONAX Plastic Care

Here's before,

Here's after,

Sorry for taking this thread off topic - just saying, if anyone ever wants to take a car detailing class with a time-proven, photo-documented history of teaching HANDS-ON classes without any chairs, then that's how my classes roll.

Remember that Billy? No chairs.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast