autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Flex XFE15 150 18.0-EC Underwhelming

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Just seems I obtained best pad rotation with the larger, thicker LC 6.5" Hybrid pads over any other pad I've used.

Me? I'm a BEAST guy, I don't have time for pad stalling with any brand of tool or stroke length. The exception to this is when working on soft paints that tend to finish out better with a free spinning random orbital polisher versus a gear-driven tool.

I'm not sure what the return policy is for tools on the AG store or anywhere for that matter?

I'm keeping the tool. Which pads would you recommend for a one step? I'm not familiar with LC pads anymore.

Also, for the PE150 18.0-EC where can I get that gorgeous black backing plate I see on all the marketing material? She never came with anything and I've been using the yellow ones.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by VT675 View Post

I'm keeping the tool. Which pads would you recommend for a one step? I'm not familiar with LC pads anymore.
    Here's the pads I would use if I were to use this tool for a one-step detail.

6.5 Inch Hybrid Power Finish White Pad (Single)

I do use these on the BEAST and the Supa BEAST when I do one-step production detailing.

Post Thanks / Like

Light cut with the force white pads, IMO. If you come across hard paint, I wouldn’t bother with these pads, unless the defects are very minimal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WRAPT C5Z06 View Post
    Light cut with the force white pads, IMO. If you come across hard paint, I wouldn’t bother with these pads, unless the defects are very minimal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m a fan of these pads Mark. I get good cut and a really nice finish out of them. I will say with the denser, tighter foam, they won’t cut much if you use a few pea size drops tho. Use the AIO or whatever abrasive a bit heavy if you want some cut and these pads will provide. Just my experience with these pads and I use them a lot. I usually keep 50 on hand in both sizes!

Also these pads are very unlikely to marr about 97% of modern paints I used them on.
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like

The corded version was underwhelming
    I hope the version 3 plate actually fixes it's flaw

Best option to make it more"powerful" is 5in BP and LC thin pro..at 15 grams it's the lightest pad, gains you pad rotation...
    Ive never owned this tool and wasn't into pad weight tests when I used it on competition ready or autoality flex demo day.

So not sure if this machines lights a lighter pad or not balance/vibration wise..

Also griot boss pad system isn't the best weight for the G21..it actually liked a lighter pad for best balance... But smoothest I got it was with a 35 gram pad and 5in plate

Pad weights okay a big role in vibration, balance and pad rotation..

Only thing I never tried was swapping counter balance weights
    May be a good idea adding a 3in plate and a 25mm counter weight to balance a 21 or 15mm
    Thats another test down the road as I just had that thought just now ha

Post Thanks / Like

Ps...just read it likes a heavier pad for rotation? Is it due to their counter balance design vs Rupes/clones counter balance shape?

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Mike@ShineStruck View Post

Ps...just read it likes a heavier pad for rotation?

Is it due to their counter balance design vs Rupes/clones counter balance shape?
    I've shared this for years now, not sure what you read or where you read it?

When this tool first launched, my natural thought with "free spinning" tools was,

Thin is in

Makes sense? Less mass for the tool to have to maintain pad rotation. I put on the 5" backing plate and smaller, thin pads. Problem was, I had a really hard time maintaining pad rotation.

Down the road, I swapped out to the larger backing plate and used the large Lake Country 6.5" Hybrid pads, polishing and finishing, (there's no reason to use a cutting pad on the FINISHER), and to my surprise - the tool was better able to maintain pad rotation.

I attributed this to the word,

Inertia

The large pad has more MASS plus the larger size. Thus once the tool brings the pad up to speed, (speed 6), it will be easier for the tool to maintain pad rotation.

Not sure of anyone else that's ever typed this out anywhere? It's my theory but I could be wrong.

I am confident enough in this pad/tool relationship "for this tool" that I switched all 24 FINISHERS I use for my car detailing classes over to the 6" backing plates and show it with the LC Hybrid pads.

Post Thanks / Like

One thing I will say about the both Flex Finishers is that they are sooo SMOOTH.

I bought both tools with doing only finishing work in mind. I’ll cut with a rotary or the Beast.

I don’t consider the Finishers too be cutting/compounding tools or even proper for AIO jobs. What they do provide is very smooth operation which translates into superior finishing capabilities or even true show car results if you will.

Also after doing some cutting, it can be physically exhausting. These two machine are a dream to run.
    Jim

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Oldz View Post

One thing I will say about the both Flex Finishers is that they are sooo SMOOTH.

Also after doing some cutting, it can be physically exhausting. These two machine are a dream to run.

I agree.

I would also say that is the most common comment I hear from those that take my class and during and after the class they have had the chance to use a LOT of tools.

Post Thanks / Like

Just an observation to all the comments, but is the Rupes equivalent corded machine regarded as just a finisher too ? If not, How is the Flex different from it as they are similar machines no ?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast