autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Attention Flex PiXiE Owners.

This kinda got buried somehow but these goodies are available now.

FLEX PXE 80 12-EC Accessories

I got a 3rd battery. I chose The light weight 2.5(same one included in polisher kit)

Nice to see the bigger batteries available for those that want them.
    Jim

2. Thanks Aaryn NZ thanked for this post
    Likes Aaryn NZ liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Re: Attention Flex PiXiE Owners.

Thanks for sharing...

I did a run-time test with the smallest battery running the PiXie on full speed, NON-STOP until the batter died and it ran for 40 minutes.

I'll dig up the video for this, it's on my FB page.

Here's the deal - NO ONE buffs like this. No one. We all stop or turn-off the buffer to do something; wipe off product residue, change pads, move around the car, get a drink, answer our phone etc. No one buffs for 40 minutes straight.

So in the time you're not running the polisher your back-up battery can be charging.

The small battery is light weight and compact in size and perfect for the overall weight and size of the tool. So honestly, I don't see when I would want or need a larger battery. Maybe if I worked at a factory on a production like doing piece work.

But for those that want more run-time, it's great to see FLEX bring these other battery options to the market.

What I'm waiting for is a 2" backing plate.

4. Likes Thomkirby, osudelt69, Boostedqtr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Agreed on t he 2inch backing. It’s why I ordered another 3inch plate and gonna trim it down on the lathe.

I find myself using the PiXiE a lot. While there is no reason to get a 3rd battery because one charges faster than I use the other...... sometimes I get involved and forget to charge the one I just emptied like a dummy.
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like

I get really confused with this one Mike, do you mind explaining to me what size backing plates it has and what size pads it can run. I'm just a tad confused with the sizing and also the flex pad sizing also.

thanks in advance

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by nickyc View Post

I get really confused with this one Mike, do you mind explaining to me what size backing plates it has and what size pads it can run.

No problemo....

The PiXiE comes with 3 backing plates.

1 each - 1" SMOOTH surface backing plate for 1" adhesive sanding discs.

This is for use with the 3mm and 12mm free spinning orbital drive unit for machine sanding. It is NOT for use with the rotary mode drive using. Why? Because when you sand with a rotary drive tool it's no longer sanding - it's called grinding.

1 each - 1" Velcro HOOK faced backing plate for 1" buffing pads

This is primarily for paint correction but you could use it with 1" sanding discs to sand also.

1 each - 3" Velcro HOOK faced backing plate for 3" and 3.5" foam pads

This is primarily for paint correction but you could use it with 1" sanding discs to sand also.

At the time of the launch, there was NOT a 2" Velcro HOOK faced backing plate. I've been told FLEX will introduce this sometime in the future. Might be available now, check the German FLEX site.

Here's my observations and keep in mind, I really like the PiXiE for both rotary paint correction and orbital polishing and sanding.

The 1" pads is effective with both rotary drive unit and 12mm free spinning orbital drive unit.

3", and 3.5" and even 4" pads are effective in the 12mm free spinning orbital drive unit.

I have not found a pad that is effective or functional for the 3mm free spinning orbital drive unit yet. It could be that the 3mm 12mm free spinning orbital drive unit will become both effective and functional when the 2" backing plate is available and we use/test 2" pads.

And the above is why I prefer this forum over Facebook for sharing information. In the above I was able to FORMAT text to make it easier for the human eye to READ and thus take into the brain and process.

Hope that helps...

8. Thanks nickyc thanked for this post
    Mike Phillips

More....

Half of what I do on this forum is simply "remembering" where stuff is so I can re-share or re-purpose for education.

In my above post where I wrote,

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips

3", and 3.5" and even 4" pads are effective in the 12mm free spinning orbital drive unit.

Here's an example of using a 4" pad on the PiXiE. Note the text I turned BOLD RED.

Review: Wolfgang Concours-Series Microfiber Towels - 1988 Porsche 928 s4

Machine applying a finishing wax using the cordless FLEX PiXiE

After all the correction work was done it was time to apply a finishing wax. For those that might not be familiar with the term,

Finishing Wax

It's a term used to describe a wax that has no cleaner, abrasive and thus zero defect removal ability. It's ONLY for paint in perfect condition - like the paint on the Porsche after I just corrected it. A finishing wax is the opposite of a cleaner/wax or an AIO. An AIO is the same thing as a cleaner/wax in case you didn't know that either.

Wolfgang Füzion Carnauba Polymer Estate Wax is a true finishing wax, or technically, a true finishing hybrid. It has ZERO cleaning ability and is only for cars with perfect paint.

This is the FLEX cordless PXE 80 or as I call it, the PiXiE. The name Pixie means a small fairy-like creature, so it kind of fits because the tool is small. All tool companies should brand their tools with NAMES - not PART NUMBERS. The pad is a Lake Country 4" Gold Jeweling foam pad. These are not currently an available part number. Lake Country made a few for me to test but nothing ever came from it. Partly my fault and that's because while I think I'm pretty good and sharing product that are top performers, I'm not really someone that can project how many units we will sell in a year so everyone involved will no if this is a viable new skew to launch. But at least I have a few and they are PERFECT for machine applying a wax on the PiXiE.

The 4" gold jeweling pad has a 3.5" velcro backing, which is perfect for the 3.5" backing plate that comes with the FLEX PiXiE. I'm also using the 12mm drive unit installed on the PiXiE.

You can probably guess what I'm going to do next....

Place the face of the pad into the jar of Fuzion and then >blip< the on/off button for a few seconds.

The 4" pad fits perfectly into the Fuzion wax jar.

Note the tool is on the 3 speed setting? In order to get this shot, I had to use some 3M green painter's tape on the backside of the wax jar to keep it from spinning while the pad was spinning against the wax.

Spin spin spin....

BOOM!

I have wax on the pad and I'm ready to seal the paint on the Porsche by machine. I never do anything by hand unless I absolutely have to. The machine always outperforms the human. Just watch the Terminator movie. Plus, here at Autogeek, we don't sell hands... we sell tools.

And in case you're wondering how long the battery will last on the cordless PiXiE? I have a live video on this topic and the battery easily ran for 40 minutes NON STOP.

Click here to watch a short video showing the PiXiE being used to machine apply wax to this Porsche

Here's the entire Porsche covered in Fuzion....

Here's the final results

The full write-up for this old 2-door Pcar is right here,

Review: Wolfgang Concours-Series Microfiber Towels - 1988 Porsche 928 s4

It didn't start out looking like you see above....

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Mike, in the 2nd post you state 'which is perfect for the 3.5" backing plate that comes with the FLEX PiXiE'

Is this a typo ?

Mike Phillips

Thanks Mike, in the 2nd post you state 'which is perfect for the 3.5" backing plate that comes with the FLEX PiXiE'

Is this a typo ?

You mean this,

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips

The 4" gold jeweling pad has a 3.5" velcro backing, which is perfect for the 3.5" backing plate that comes with the FLEX PiXiE.

No - the 3.5" velcro backing on the fold foam jeweling pad fits or attaches perfectly to the 3.5" velcro face of the backing plate. The pad then tapers out a little so the FACE of the pad is just under 4" and fits inside the wax jar.

See how the backing plate is perfectly centered and aligned onto the back of the pad in this picture.

I teach little things like this in all my detailing classes, that is how to perfectly align backing plates to pads.

The little things are the big things -Mike Phillips

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Mike, so a 3" pad would be too small for that BP ? I would need 3.5" pads ?

Mike Phillips

Thanks Mike, so a 3" pad would be too small for that BP ? I would need 3.5" pads ?

Just depends on the pad. Most 3" pads I can think of - the FACE of the pad is always a tick larger than 3" and the backing is right at 3" so the pad should fit fine.

What do you have for pads?

14. Thanks nickyc thanked for this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast