autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lake Country Microfiber Pads used with flex 3401

Quote Originally Posted by R/TED View Post
    Finally had a chance to use the Lake Country microfiber cutting pads on the Flex 3401. Polish i used was Sonax EX 04-06. Using these pads on the 3401 does take some getting used to. I found that if you tilt the polisher up just a tick instead of perfectly flat on the panel works pretty well. used speed setting 4. Pictures are of drivers side door of my 2018 Hyundai Sonata. No lsp has been applied, 6 section passes. Very pleased with the results. Paint was in good condition before polishing. No finishing polish or pad was used after polishing with microfiber pads.

Attachment 68409Attachment 68409Attachment 68410Attachment 68411
    Any particular reason you chose to use MF pads over foam on paint that was in "good condition"?
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

I bought these pads to use on my nephews black Dodge Ram pickup truck. I wanted to try these pads on my car first to see how well these pads worked with the 3401. Also wanted to see how well the pads finished using a medium-fine polish.

3. Likes Martin53, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I did a 12 Black Ram pick up in the past with XMT360 and an Orange pad with my 3401...turned out GREAT.

I also have used the 3401 with my Meguiars Cutting MF pads and D300 as step 1 of a 2 step process and dont remember them being overly grabby. I can see how it WOULD be possible though. Very little pressure and let the pad and machine do the work.
    "Dirt likes detergent so much better than the surface that it's attached to, it'll leave that surface to go hang out with the soap"...aim4squirrels

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by R/TED View Post
    I bought these pads to use on my nephews black Dodge Ram pickup truck. I wanted to try these pads on my car first to see how well these pads worked with the 3401. Also wanted to see how well the pads finished using a medium-fine polish.
    I would “practice” on my nephew’s used truck before experimenting on my own car given the choice Lake Country Microfiber Pads used with flex 3401...

Just say’in
    ​Al Schmidt
    "Adventure, is a car called Riviera..."

6. Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Just to throw this into the mix....

I don't use traditional wool pads on the BEAST very often but they do cut really well. They also leave micro-marring. I know they'll leave micro-marring so I would only use a traditional wool pad on the BEAST when I'm already planning on doing a second step using foam pads.

Here's an example from an epic project here at Autogeek - See post #5

How to restore a Barn Find - 1969 Ford Thunderbird - #7 Rub Out + FLEX = 3D products

Comment about wool pads
    Like I mentioned previously in this article, fibers are a type of abrasive. For faster cutting for this project I chose a wool pad over a foam cutting pad as the simple fact that individual fibers would be worked against the paint adding to and increasing the cutting power of the abrasives in the 3D ATT Rubbing Compound.
    The specific wool pad I chose and recommend in my 3-day Competition Ready car detailing classes and my boat detailing classes as well as my how-to books is the Lake Country 7.5” Electrified Wool Polishing pad. Don’t let the word [i]polishing]/i] fool you this is still a fiber pad and close enough in it’s cut to a wool cutting pad that in my book it’s a non-issue. Regardless of the name of this wool pad, why I choose and recommend this pad is because Lake Country puts the wool fibers through an extra step to send an electrical current through the fibers to burn off the natural barbs on the fibers. The result is a wool pad that cuts fast with less scouring of the paint finish. The practical difference to you and mess is a finish that will require less time and less aggressive pads, products and even tools to clean up or perfect.

Mike Phillips

More....

We used foam pads for the second step...

Here's end results...

Big picture is fiber is an abrasive, so always do a Test Spot and dial-in the complete process before buffing out a car with any type of fiber pad.

Post Thanks / Like

To add, I have tried, and will continue to use it in the future, D300 on Megs MF Cut pads. Light pressure has worked for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Lake country foamed purple wool also worked well on a body shop respray that could have used more sanding

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12