autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Too busy not to use just the Flex3401

Since moving my shop in busy part of town my business has picked around 20%

I'm doing about 30 Ceramic Coatings per year plus the rest of the work that comes to my shop and use anything that will get me best results including the Flex3401.

It really has cut my time down on paint corrections.

I have on hand a couple of big throw DA's along with GG6 and my Dewalt 849x that a member here gave me new few years ago , thank you man for picking me.

As some of you may know I was experiencing pain in my elbow when I first got the Flex and had to stop using it because I felt it was making it worst but since then my elbow is fine.

There is a learning curve in using the Flex but once it comes to you it's no worst than any other polisher.

If time is important to you and don't have the Flex3401 then consider buying one because it makes money for you.

I still use my other polishes to apply wax and sealants

Happy Detailing

Sent from my SM-G965U using Autogeekonline mobile app
    cajundetailingbykevin.com
    vpcajun@gmail.com

2. Thanks Aaryn NZ, dlc95 thanked for this post
    Likes BudgetPlan1, spazzz, Aaryn NZ, dlc95, VISITOR and 1 others liked this post
    Dislikes dlc95 disliked this post
    Mike Phillips

Re: Too busy not to use just the Flex3401

Quote Originally Posted by HateSwirls View Post

If time is important to you and don't have the Flex3401 then consider buying one because it makes money for you.
    I either taught a class or tired to teach a class at MTE with the title,

How to turn the FLEX 3401 into a Money Making Machine

In order to be in compliance with the rules for class topics I had to make the class less tool specific, which I was okay with. Back then the RUPES Mille nor the Makita PO5000C and not been invented or introduced yet so the BEAST was the only gear-driven orbital game around.

Pad stalling just wastes time in two ways,

1: Mechanically - If the pad is not rotating you're not doing anything.

2: Mentally - If the entire time you're buffing out a car you not only have to monitor what your doing, (what and how your using the buffer), but also have to LOOK at the pad or the backing plate to see if the pad is rotating - this wears your brain out. With gear-driven you still have to watch what and how you're using the buffer but you certainly don't have to visually monitor the pad to see if it's rotating or not.

I don't think most people think about this aspect (the mental work of watching for pad rotation), but it is something you must do when using any brand of free spinning orbital.

4. Thanks Aaryn NZ, dlc95 thanked for this post
    Likes spazzz, Farmallluvr, dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm doing about 30 Ceramic Coatings per year plus the rest of the work that comes to my shop and use anything that will get me best results including the Flex3401.

I have on hand a couple of big throw DA's along with GG6 and my Dewalt 849x that a member here gave me new few years ago , thank you man for picking me.

As some of you may know I was experiencing pain in my elbow when I first got the Flex and had to stop using it because I felt it was making it worst but since then my elbow is fine.

There is a learning curve in using the Flex but once it comes to you it's no worst than any other polisher.

Happy Detailing

Absolutely its better, the learning curve on the flex is less than on a long throw. Plus it will turn the 6.5 force pads which saves a lot of time over 5.5" pads. And you don't need to change polishers to do a contour. If I could only have 1 polisher I would take the flex 3401 every time.

I think its the best polisher out there.

6. Likes Aaryn NZ, dlc95, HateSwirls liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    2: Mentally - If the entire time you're buffing out a car you not only have to monitor what your doing, (what and how your using the buffer), but also have to LOOK at the pad or the backing plate to see if the pad is rotating - this wears your brain out. With gear-driven you still have to watch what and how you're using the buffer but you certainly don't have to visually monitor the pad to see if it's rotating or not. I don't think most people think about this aspect (the mental work of watching for pad rotation), but it is something you must do when using any brand of free spinning orbital.
    That's a really good point, Mike. I wear myself out all the time thinking about things...even when I'm not polishing!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    I either taught a class or tired to teach a class at MTE with the title,

How to turn the FLEX 3401 into a Money Making Machine

In order to be in compliance with the rules for class topics I had to make the class less tool specific, which I was okay with. Back then the RUPES Mille nor the Makita PO5000C and not been invented or introduced yet so the BEAST was the only gear-driven orbital game around.

Pad stalling just wastes time in two ways,

1: Mechanically - If the pad is not rotating you're not doing anything.

2: Mentally - If the entire time you're buffing out a car you not only have to monitor what your doing, (what and how your using the buffer), but also have to LOOK at the pad or the backing plate to see if the pad is rotating - this wears your brain out. With gear-driven you still have to watch what and how you're using the buffer but you certainly don't have to visually monitor the pad to see if it's rotating or not.

I don't think most people think about this aspect (the mental work of watching for pad rotation), but it is something you must do when using any brand of free spinning orbital.

I agree I think its easy to think the pad is rotating or completely touching the paint surface but unless you have that line and you're constantly looking at it you can be fooled. Actually having the line on the machine/pad and taking the time to look at it teaches you how easy it is to stall the pad.

Plus just on the time thing alone you can effectively do a 3 square foot section instead of a 2x2

9. Likes dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Awesome HateSwirls.

Great to read business is going well & a 20% increase is outstanding! Good for you buddy!

Couldn’t agree more about the Flex 3401. I’m sure you’ll agree with me when I say - the Flex 3401 is actually a team member! These things just power through any job in front of them & in a shop situation we all know time is money.

I’m gonna be bold & say -
    “I’m just like Mike” in terms of working style. I like to get in there & get it done & move on. I did this ‘37 Chevrolet Truck on Friday. Okay, I know it’s just a cab but aside from the washing/prep step, everything else - including interior detailing, wheels, chassis, engine detailing & a three step ‘Buff, Polish, Wax.

Paint was pretty beaten up & I doubt it had seen any care since the paint was laid. I started at 7am & this truck drove away at around 4pm. Couldn’t have done this without the Flex 3401 . . . Truely is a ‘Beast’.

Great post mate, thank you for sharing you experience.

Aaryn NZ.

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline
    a DETAILS Blenheim New Zealand - IDA Member - C.Quartz Finest Authorized Installer

11. Likes dlc95, VISITOR liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Happy Detailing

Sorry Kevin, I didn't mean to hit the dislike!

13. Thanks HateSwirls thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dlc95 View Post
    Sorry Kevin, I didn't mean to hit the dislike!
    Not a problem.
    Thanks

vpcajun@gmail.com

15. Likes dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aaryn NZ View Post
    Awesome HateSwirls.

Great to read business is going well & a 20% increase is outstanding! Good for you buddy!

Couldn’t agree more about the Flex 3401. I’m sure you’ll agree with me when I say - the Flex 3401 is actually a team member! These things just power through any job in front of them & in a shop situation we all know time is money.

I’m gonna be bold & say -
    “I’m just like Mike” in terms of working style. I like to get in there & get it done & move on. I did this ‘37 Chevrolet Truck on Friday. Okay, I know it’s just a cab but aside from the washing/prep step, everything else - including interior detailing, wheels, chassis, engine detailing & a three step ‘Buff, Polish, Wax.

Paint was pretty beaten up & I doubt it had seen any care since the paint was laid. I started at 7am & this truck drove away at around 4pm. Couldn’t have done this without the Flex 3401 . . . Truely is a ‘Beast’.

Great post mate, thank you for sharing you experience.

Aaryn NZ.

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline
    I spoke with Mike a few months ago and was asking him about the large throw polishers.

He told me he often uses his Flex because it does a great job and faster.

That's when I got to thinking more about using the Flex3401.

He was right and really got me thinking about what he said, it makes for faster corrections which means more money.

Sure it's a little heavier but who cares, right?

vpcajun@gmail.com

17. Likes Aaryn NZ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

that's great news Kevin, glad you're doing well buddy! agreed, the flex 3401 rocks!

19. Likes HateSwirls liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast