autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

Flex 5 inch 8mm throw polisher!!

I was reading a post and MP said he mentioned this idea to Flex and again to Bob @Flex.

I would love to see this tool be offered by FLEX.

Anyone else would like like to see this happen? Perhaps we can get enough interest and have Flex take a look at this thread.
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Flex 5 inch 8mm throw polisher!!

Hmm........ I really like my GG6.

I'm sure Flex would build a hell of an 8mm, but I wouldn't be so nuts about it that I'd consider leaving my Griot's.

Plus, I'd bet the proverbial "farm" the Flex would not be sold for the price of the GG6.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

3. Likes DETAILROOKIE, WaxMaster1 liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Oldz View Post

I was reading a post and MP said he mentioned this idea to Flex and again to Bob @Flex.

I would love to see this tool be offered by FLEX.

Anyone else would like like to see this happen? Perhaps we can get enough interest and have Flex take a look at this thread.
    You know I mentioned this meeting recently in conversation ad someone in the conversation laughed. I don't think they believed me when I said I had a secret meeting with the Engineers at FLEX.

After they laughed, I laughed because I knew I could back it up.

Secret meeting with the Flex Engineers!

See what I wrote in post #13.

Its what I call, car detailing history.

Mike Phillips

Technically, the tool would simply be known as an

8mm Free Spinning Orbital Polisher

The 5" aspect would relate to the backing plate but that's not really a feature of the tool in the same way calling the Griot's Garage 6" Random Orbital Polisher the 6" has nothing to do with the polisher itself, it's the measurement of the backing plate that comes with the tool and for the record I've been asking Jeff Brown for about 3 years to either sell the tool without the 6" backing plate or repackage the box to read Griot's Garage 8mm Random Orbital Polisher and include a 5" backing plate.

My suggestion back then to Mercedes-Benz and also today is to build the Mercedes-Benz version of the Porter Cable random orbital polisher. I have a list of features it would offer.

I also have another suggestion for a tool from FLEX. Maybe there will be a chance for another meeting.

Me? Most of the time when I want to detail a car fast I use the FLEX 3401, in my experience it is the fastest way to buff out a car while producing professional quality results.

That said, there are times where the best tool for the job is not a powerful gear-driven orbital but the opposite, a simple tool with a free spinning 8mm orbit.

6. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I would absolutely be on board with a Flex free spinning "short" throw machine. I have oftentimes said if my PC ever bites the dust I would get a GG unit.

I'd love to say i'd get another Flex!

Post Thanks / Like

Last Month I bought a HF version of the Porter Cable,,I have been messing around with it a little on some cars that need more than a wax and less than a correction with pretty good results.
    I would be very interested in a Flex thats geared to doing that kind of work.

My boss is starting to look at me funny as the machines are starting accumulate but he likes the sales results sooo....
    “I have trouble with names and faces, but I never forget a car.”

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Technically, the tool would simply be known as an

8mm Free Spinning Orbital Polisher

The 5" aspect would relate to the backing plate but that's not really a feature of the tool in the same way calling the Griot's Garage 6" Random Orbital Polisher the 6" has nothing to do with the polisher itself, it's the measurement of the backing plate that comes with the tool and for the record I've been asking Jeff Brown for about 3 years to either sell the tool without the 6" backing plate or repackage the box to read Griot's Garage 8mm Random Orbital Polisher and include a 5" backing plate.

My suggestion back then to Mercedes-Benz and also today is to build the Mercedes-Benz version of the Porter Cable random orbital polisher. I have a list of features it would offer.

I also have another suggestion for a tool from FLEX. Maybe there will be a chance for another meeting.

Me? Most of the time when I want to detail a car fast I use the FLEX 3401, in my experience it is the fastest way to buff out a car while producing professional quality results.

That said, there are times where the best tool for the job is not a powerful gear-driven orbital but the opposite, a simple tool with a free spinning 8mm orbit.

1) As mentioned in the first post, this was an idea you mentioned and I want to make sure the credit is yours! I’m simply supporting this idea!

2) I put “5 inch” in the title to designate the BP included size. I’m with you in feeling all polishers of this type should have a 5 inch BP for best results as documented in countless post here at AG for many years.

3) I would really like to hear your suggested features on this type of machine.

4) I’m with you on the 3401. I use it often to produce professional results while working as fast as I possibly can. I do also use the Rotary, Flex finisher and a standard 8mm PC style machine often. I do often still reach for a simple 8mm free spin machine for many uses. Applying LSP, carpets, smaller areas, cleaning vinyl roofs, final polishing when a 15mm long throw isn’t working on a difficult paint system, paint work cleaners to name a few. While these type machines may not be the coolest machines on the forums anymore, I still find it a critical tool in my world. I would personally love to see a Flex version as I have been completely satisfied with all the Flex tools I own.
    Jim