autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Flex 3401 stopped working

Quote Originally Posted by Z06-Goose View Post
    … This is my problem and it's a weird one, if I'm working on a flat panel, it works fine, if I work on a vertical panel it works intermittent and dies, and starts losing power as if fatigued.
    This happens while hot or cold...
    I had a similar experience with an old rotary of mine. It turned out to be the power cord which had developed a break in the wire near the strain relief where the cord exits the machine. It would cut-out intermittently as the orientation of the machine changed.

It's an easy diagnosis and fix... simply get the machine running and the wiggle the cord. If it cuts in-and-out while manipulating the cord then that's the problem.

All you need to do for the repair is simply cut the cord to remove the offending section and reattach. Or get a new cord if the existing one is getting too short for your liking.

2. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 2black1s View Post
    I had a similar experience with an old rotary of mine. It turned out to be the power cord which had developed a break in the wire near the strain relief where the cord exits the machine. It would cut-out intermittently as the orientation of the machine changed.

It's an easy diagnosis and fix... simply get the machine running and the wiggle the cord. If it cuts in-and-out while manipulating the cord then that's the problem.

All you need to do for the repair is simply cut the cord to remove the offending section and reattach. Or get a new cord if the existing one is getting too short for your liking.
    ^^This^^

And the repair could not be more simple.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

I want to thank you guys for the feedback to my questions and comments.
    I was able to verify the power cord to be the culprit.
    I placed the order today for a new one.
    This machines are easy to work on, I was able to replace the brushes with ease and slapped it back together with no problem.
    -Goose
    2007 Avus Silver Audi RS4
    2018 Black Redline Edition Chevy Silverado

5. Thanks 2black1s thanked for this post
    Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 2black1s View Post

Just had this exact problem with one of my 3401 polishers. Cut off a foot of cord, reattached, worked great! Went ahead and ordered a 25 foot replacement instead of the stock 15 foot. Much better!

7. Likes TTQ B4U liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DetailDrivenEugene View Post
    Just had this exact problem with one of my 3401 polishers. Cut off a foot of cord, reattached, worked great! Went ahead and ordered a 25 foot replacement instead of the stock 15 foot. Much better!
    As I said, I’ve ordered a new cable. They do say is an upgraded cable. Hopefully is a longer one.
    Question, though.
    Did the cable you’ve ordered come with crimped end connectors?!
    -Goose

Post Thanks / Like

As I said, I’ve ordered a new cable. They do say is an upgraded cable. Hopefully is a longer one.
    Question, though.
    Did the cable you’ve ordered come with crimped end connectors?!
    Yes, it had the crimped ends like the factory cord. I ordered mine from the flex parts supplier mentioned earlier in this thread. It was about $60 shipped. The next day, my local P&S supplier came through to deliver some supplies. He carries a 15 foot cord identical (same markings even)to the original flex cord for under $20. Now I know. Lol.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DetailDrivenEugene View Post
    Yes, it had the crimped ends like the factory cord. I ordered mine from the flex parts supplier mentioned earlier in this thread. It was about $60 shipped. The next day, my local P&S supplier came through to deliver some supplies. He carries a 15 foot cord identical (same markings even)to the original flex cord for under $20. Now I know. Lol.
    Just an update.
    Tonight I've replaced the power cord, and the machine is up and working strong!
    Huge thanks again everyone!

On another issue...
    I have another flex 3401 that is completely dead.
    After replacing the cable and the brushes, still a no go.
    This is my back-up Flex 3401. I have two, and this is the first one I've ever bought about 12 years ago.
    I'm temped in ordering the switch, or perhaps send it over for repair.
    -Goose

Post Thanks / Like

Just an update.
    Tonight I've replaced the power cord, and the machine is up and working strong!
    Huge thanks again everyone!

On another issue...
    I have another flex 3401 that is completely dead.
    After replacing the cable and the brushes, still a no go.
    This is my back-up Flex 3401. I have two, and this is the first one I've ever bought about 12 years ago.
    I'm temped in ordering the switch, or perhaps send it over for repair.
    Glad it's up and running again. Mine is going strong and about to get a workout on a nice Jag today. My plans are to add another Flex to my cabinet early next year but I'm waiting to see if there's a new and updated version coming out. Even then, I'm actually a little hesitant on that just given the current model has been so reliable.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

12. Likes VISITOR liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TTQ B4U View Post
    Glad it's up and running again. Mine is going strong and about to get a workout on a nice Jag today. My plans are to add another Flex to my cabinet early next year but I'm waiting to see if there's a new and updated version coming out. Even then, I'm actually a little hesitant on that just given the current model has been so reliable.
    I think there's a new version coming out shortly with a plastic shroud instead of metal, and handle like the 15 orbital.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rangerbay View Post
    I think there's a new version coming out shortly with a plastic shroud instead of metal, and handle like the 15 orbital.

Bill
    Hmmm......life has too much plastic in it already. I'll take the weight and quality vs plastic. May have to stick to what I know works well.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

15. Likes Finick liked this post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123