autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Flex 3401 stopped working

Quote Originally Posted by david b View Post
    Update - got my Flex 3401 back from a local hardware store - an authorized Dewalt/Milwaukee Tools service center. They were unaware of the Flex brand of tools but were willing to fix it for me. The trigger went bad on it after two years of use. I've buffed out more than 100 vehicles/RVs/horse trailers/motorcycles/boats during that time.

They ordered the part and did the repair. Total bill - wait for it - $60 bucks is all. I thought that was outstanding. So glad to have "The Beast" back with me. May kick the wife to the couch tonight so I can sleep with my "true love"

David
    Dave's Detailing
    Way cool! Glad you fixed it! I had the trigger problem too! But I am still Homer Simpson and STILL DROP my Flex 3401. I have taken apart my Flex and will be able to repair it myself in case I keep on pulling Homer Simpson's. From what I hear (from the last time I repaired my Flex a couple years back) is that the Flex 3401 trigger is the usual one to go. We use that almost all the time.
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Post Thanks / Like

Update - got my Flex 3401 back from a local hardware store - an authorized Dewalt/Milwaukee Tools service center. They were unaware of the Flex brand of tools but were willing to fix it for me. The trigger went bad on it after two years of use. I've buffed out more than 100 vehicles/RVs/horse trailers/motorcycles/boats during that time.

They ordered the part and did the repair. Total bill - wait for it - $60 bucks is all. I thought that was outstanding. So glad to have "The Beast" back with me. May kick the wife to the couch tonight so I can sleep with my "true love"

David
    Dave's Detailing
    Way cool! Glad you fixed it! I had the trigger problem too! But I am still Homer Simpson and STILL DROP my Flex 3401. I have taken apart my Flex and will be able to repair it myself in case I keep on pulling Homer Simpson's. From what I hear (from the last time I repaired my Flex a couple years back) is that the Flex 3401 trigger is the usual one to go. We use that almost all the time.
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Post Thanks / Like

David
    Dave's Detailing

That may not bode well for you in the future, Dave............

Glad they fixed her up for you, man.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

I had my 3401 die on me yesterday and I thought it was a heat issue. I was working in 90+ degree heat for a few hours. I had to finish the job with a combo of rotary and PC. I'll be troubleshooting today.

It was extremely disappointing and has lowered my impression of Flex a bit. I have loved the machine so far but this is troubling.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Paul A. View Post
    I had my 3401 die on me yesterday and I thought it was a heat issue. I was working in 90+ degree heat for a few hours. I had to finish the job with a combo of rotary and PC. I'll be troubleshooting today.

It was extremely disappointing and has lowered my impression of Flex a bit. I have loved the machine so far but this is troubling.

Doh!!!

That’s not ideal Paul.

My eldest Flex 3401 is almost eight years old now, & a couple of times I thought it had given up on me. This thing does some serious hours & I figured it was well within its rights to retire anytime it liked . . . Geeze, for at least the last three & a half years, if not longer.

It stopped on me a week or so back again, & this time I thought “thats it” but nope - a new set of brushes & it lives to polish again. That makes it three brush changes in eight years & one new cord simply from wearing it out really.

I hope the issue with yours isn’t anything too much Paul, do keep us informed though yeah?

Aaryn NZ.
    a DETAILS Blenheim New Zealand - IDA Member - C.Quartz Finest Authorized Installer

6. Likes VISITOR, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aaryn NZ View Post
    Doh!!!

That’s not ideal Paul.

My eldest Flex 3401 is almost eight years old now, & a couple of times I thought it had given up on me. This thing does some serious hours & I figured it was well within its rights to retire anytime it liked . . . Geeze, for at least the last three & a half years, if not longer.

It stopped on me a week or so back again, & this time I thought “thats it” but nope - a new set of brushes & it lives to polish again. That makes it three brush changes in eight years & one new cord simply from wearing it out really.

I hope the issue with yours isn’t anything too much Paul, do keep us informed though yeah?

Aaryn NZ.
    Nice post, Aaryn.

I have always viewed changing brushes in an electrical motor like "oil changes" in 4-stroke gasoline engines.

Would you go 50,000 miles without changing your oil? I mean.....The vehicle seems to be running perfectly, right?

Until "That Day", yes it was.

Our little electric motors like some periodic maintenance as well.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

8. Likes Aaryn NZ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, sure enough...simply brushes. Changed out and back to rockin' and rollin'. Great point PaulMys and thanks to Aaryn for sharing his experience as well.

My feelings of disappointment in the Flex product is gone. This was purely a case of excessive wear on an excessively used machine that is completely understandable.

Now, in line with that other thread going here, I'm gonna clean the living s**t out of that beloved workhorse!

10. Likes Aaryn NZ, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Excellent news Paul A.

I admit, I had gone to disappointment & frustration too when my Flex stopped, just human nature I think. It’s easy to forget how hard these tools work for us.

A pretty sweet feeling when you replace the brushes & it fires up again . . .

Aaryn NZ.
    a DETAILS Blenheim New Zealand - IDA Member - C.Quartz Finest Authorized Installer

12. Likes VISITOR, Paul A. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Paul A. View Post
    Well, sure enough...simply brushes. Changed out and back to rockin' and rollin'. Great point PaulMys and thanks to Aaryn for sharing his experience as well.

My feelings of disappointment in the Flex product is gone. This was purely a case of excessive wear on an excessively used machine that is completely understandable.

Now, in line with that other thread going here, I'm gonna clean the living s**t out of that beloved workhorse!
    unfortunately, the brushes don't last forever and need to be replaced and may also need to be re-aligned (pertains to any polisher) if the polisher isn't firing up. glad to see you got it back in business!

14. Likes Paul A., Aaryn NZ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi guys.
    Let me tell you I've learned a few new things by reading this thread.
    I have a 3401 that started to give me problems last week.
    While working the machine would just die on me.
    Figuring it could be the brushes, I went ahead and placed an order for two and they arrived this Thursday, just now I opened up the machine, replace the brushes that were in need of replacement after more than 5 years of use, but the problem didn't get fixed.
    I pulled the trigger and it wouldn't do anything, until it fired it up after the third try.
    This is my problem and it's a weird one, if I'm working on a flat panel, it works fine, if I work on a vertical panel it works intermittent and dies, and starts losing power as if fatigued.
    This happens while hot or cold.
    By reading this thread I would thing it could be the trigger?
    What you guys think?
    The problem is that it doesn't sustain the power, it doesn't stay on very long.
    -Goose
    2007 Avus Silver Audi RS4
    2018 Black Redline Edition Chevy Silverado

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast