autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2" Backing Plate

Quote Originally Posted by msafady1 View Post
    I tried the 2” on the Adam’s MINI as well and agree about the vibration. The GG3 is actually pretty solid with the 2” backing. Anything larger and it’s pretty worthless, IMO. I reserve it strictly for 2” pads.

FWIW, I’m now using the CG hyper flex 3” backing plate with my Adam’s MINI and it really upped the rotation of all pads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Have you tried a 1 in plate with the GG3?

Post Thanks / Like

What are you guys doing for very small backplates and pads?

Right now I am using 5 inch for my normal pads, 3 inch for small areas but I have been wanting to go 2 inch and 1 inch for over a year and have yet to buy something.

First, I think I would like to use a rotary type tool instead of a DA because in such small areas, I don't want to have a 4mm or 8mm throw where it could hit side panels or something.

I was thinking using a drill, but it's not very precise as a polishing tool, there is kind of a torque kick on my drills and when dealling with super small areas, it could make the pad hit something... so I am not too fond on that idea.

I know there are tools from companies like Rupes with very small pads but when i looked at them when they came out I thought they were way too expensive for what they are.

I was thinking maybe some kind of flexible shaft attachement for my drill. Anyone using that?

Open to ideas and would love to know what you are using.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike@ShineStruck View Post
    Have you tried a 1 in plate with the GG3?
    I have not. It would probably work well. Would you use a Flex 1" rotary backing plate and adapter for that?
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not so keen on using 1" MF pads. I think the residue control would be out of control!!
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Calendyr View Post

Right now I am using 5 inch for my normal pads, 3 inch for small areas but I have been wanting to go 2 inch and 1 inch for over a year and have yet to buy something.

First, I think I would like to use a rotary type tool instead of a DA because in such small areas, I don't want to have a 4mm or 8mm throw where it could hit side panels or something.

I was thinking using a drill, but it's not very precise as a polishing tool, there is kind of a torque kick on my drills and when dealling with super small areas, it could make the pad hit something... so I am not too fond on that idea.

I know there are tools from companies like Rupes with very small pads but when i looked at them when they came out I thought they were way too expensive for what they are.

I was thinking maybe some kind of flexible shaft attachement for my drill. Anyone using that?

How about Flex PE8 rotary polisher?

FLEX PE8 Kompakt Rotary Polisher Complete Starter Kit

6. Likes Calendyr liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike@ShineStruck View Post
    I've did this on a Adams SK mini with both Griot 2in plate and rotary to danadoer and flex 2in plate.. both had too much vibration for my liking
    Plus, I think it counter productive using such small pads with a 12mm orbit. 5mm or 8mm would be ideal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I personally did not like the 2" plate on my 12mm Zentool polisher. However, I love it on the GG3. It goes like a bat out hell with the 2" plate. It is now permanently a GG2. I use a PC with the GG HD 3" plate for the shorter 8mm throw.

You can definitely do real correction with a GG2 and the MF or orange 2" pads

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Calendyr View Post

Milwaukee (and Sioux has an identical one) makes a variable speed close quarter drill with a paddle handle that you could check out. It's very easy to control.

I like the idea of using the flexible shaft for a modified 1/2-1 inch pad in unaccessible areas. It would work real well with the Milwaukee. I may look into that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ducksfan View Post
    Milwaukee (and Sioux has an identical one) makes a variable speed close quarter drill with a paddle handle that you could check out. It's very easy to control.

I like the idea of using the flexible shaft for a modified 1/2-1 inch pad in unaccessible areas. It would work real well with the Milwaukee. I may look into that.

I use a Dremel HD Flex Shaft tool for areas just like you described. 4 foot shaft and the unit has a 2.5hp motor. This unit has plenty of torque that allows you to use it on low speed settings without bogging down. I use 1" and 2" pads. I got the 1" and 2" backing plates and the correct sized shafts of the internet. This, however, does not help when you need a tight space right angle polisher. I think that the Rupe's Nano would be the most versatile of all these small polishers, it's just so expensive like most things Rupe's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12