autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cordless Flex Polishers Available For Preorder Per Autogeek Website

LOL You got it LOL

That weight difference must be noticeble in the longrun! It has got marketed well so far. But when it's coming out to detailers I think that they will be chocked over it. And wondering about how it is to manage the weight of the battery when polishing. Sure it's nice to get the cord away but to what price? Alot heavier and expensive.

Edit: I converted the weight from kilogram kg and on were I was reading the specs they says 7.7kg for xfe15 and 7.4kg for pe14. For the corded xfe7-15 the weight is 2.3kg about 5lbs!
    Would be very intresting to know if the weight is up to 17lbs with the 5amp battery on.

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Remember the first cellphones that came out, they were bricks,awkward and heavy, its the price to pay for technology in its infancy. Newer models will have batteries that last longer and be much lighter. Its a trade off
    for jumping on the bandwagon early, let the R&D pay itself off and wait for them to perfect it.

3. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Wonder if it's only the battery that does it heavy. I think since they are useing a induction electric motor in the new cordless polishers. There is no brushes in them. Hope I get the translate right.

Of course it's a new technology for polishers but cordless tools have been out quite a while. The development is to get that high of power a polisher needs to have to spinn the pads and polish. Maybe the manufactures has to develop a different kind of polish and pads to be able to use less powerfull polisher.

But what to say before I have tested the new Flexs out. Maybe they have a perfect balance of the weight that does them as user friendly as the corded ones. For a mobile detailer I can see benefits to polish cordless. But for a shop detailer which do alot of paint correction and apply alot of ceramic coatings that need polishing prep. I think that the added weight of the cordless is something to really think about in terms of what it does to your body. If I have read the right specs and it's not a miss spelling of some kind. Almost the tripple the weight between corded and cordless is a really bit difference.

For the hobby detailer that take care of a couple of cars. It's the price for it that is a downside. But if you go with the AGO prices it's not that of a difference that I have in Scandinavia. If it comes with 2 5amp batteries in the kit on AGO. Be cause if you where to buy a second 5amp battery you would ad at least 80-100$ to the total costs. Then you are up there in the double of the price to the corded. Maybe for some it would be worth it. But is it a replacement of technology for polishers?

As you say it's a new tool and we will see what the people think about them after a while. I just thinking out loud and it's fun to see new technology and tools. And I would'nt mind to have one of those cordless in my arsenal if I could afford it.

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't mind the extra weight as long as its balanced nicely. If it had a very noticeable weight shift in the back where the battery is that would be really annoying IMO.

Post Thanks / Like

Meghan sent me the following info on the weight of the Flex cordless polishers, hope this helps

• XFE 15 150 18.0-EC unit weight= 4.62 lbs. without battery
    • PE 150 18.0-EC unit weight= 4.2 lbs. without battery
    • 5.0 battery weight=1.2 lbs.

Looks like around 5-6 lbs w/battery. Not bad.
    Bill Strobel
    Owner Independent Towing & Repair
    Fayetteville, NC
    Do It Right or Don't Do It At All

Post Thanks / Like

Ryan

Mike Phillips

Cordless Flex Polishers Available For Preorder Per Autogeek Website

Couple of comments...

First - can someone post the price of the FLEX cordless “kits”?

Then post the price of the RUPES cordless “kits”.

(Just for context and perspective)

I don’t think any words are needed to share the “convenience factor” of these two shots not to mention the “cool factor”.

And sorry to say there was no one around to take pictures when I was removing sanding marks out of the paint on the roof while standing on a Werner Work Platform on this old 4-door Chevy —> with ONE hand.

(Easily with one hand, as in just standing there running the polisher back and fourth - no sweat... no big deal)

At this time I would never try to “sell” or “convince” someone to purchase one of the new Cordless FLEX Tools. That’s not my style. And to this point I have never tried to “sell” or “convince” someone to purchase a RUPES iBrid.

When it comes to these types of tools - you simply need to sell or justify the purchase to yourself or the boss or the better half and sometimes the better half is the boss.

I predict a surge in the interest in buffing with rotary polishers and right now I’m predicting a surge and increase in specific and unique pads for SMALL rotary buffers. Specifically —> Jeweling Pads.

Someone bookmark this post for the future!

Cordless Flex Polishers Available For Preorder Per Autogeek Website

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Thanks Aaryn NZ thanked for this post
    Likes Aaryn NZ, SWETM liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by theamcguy View Post
    Mike can you please weigh the XFE15 150 and PE-150; the weights above (16 & 17 lbs) seem awful heavy to me. Thank you
    Sure - those weights don’t sound right?

The weight of the batteries is a non-issue. More practical is becoming one with the tool and taking a diamond in the rough and methodically turning it into a glistening gemstone.

Remember - polishing paint is an art form... not a grinding process.

11. Likes Aaryn NZ, SWETM, Brandon Wetch liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm pretty certain that I will sit in the corner, cry, & rock, & cry some more if these Cordless Flex tools don't work down here in New Zealand. I have recently been imagining working without a cord as I have been buffing out vehicles, & personally for me - I cannot wait for these. I'm not sure how you measure the energy spent keeping a cord over the shoulder or simply away from the paint but I asure you it is more taxing than many people would think, especially in a shop situation where 6+ hours a day on average can be spent with a polisher in hand.

I totally agree with what you have said about about a surge in interest in rotary polishers & accompanying smaller pads. Heck, I can swing an 8 inch lambs wool on a rotary no probs but I do love the feel of a smaller pad in hand . . . take the cord away . . . heaven!

RUPES iBrid Nano Polisher - Short Neck. Autogeek price - $570.00
    Rupes Bigfoot Nano iBrid Short Neck Kit

RUPES iBrid Nano Polisher - Long Neck. Autogeek price - $600.00
    Rupes Bigfoot Nano iBrid Long Neck Kit

FLEX XFE15 150 Cordless Orbital Polisher. Autogeek price - $549.99
    FLEX XFE15 150 Cordless Orbital Polisher, cordless polishers, battery operated polisher

FLEX PE-150 Cordless Rotary Polisher. Autogeek price - $579.99
    FLEX PE-150 Cordless Rotary Polisher, cordless rotary polisher, battery powered polisher

Aaryn NZ.
    a DETAILS Blenheim New Zealand - IDA Member - C.Quartz Finest Authorized Installer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    I predict a surge in the interest in buffing with rotary polishers
    I’ve personally been looking into purchasing a rotary as of lately, mostly just because I want to familiarize myself with using one on paint.

I used one back around 2005-2008, to compound the hull of boats when I worked with my friend, but I haven’t touched one since then, and I would really like to brush up on the skill.

I was looking into a flex rotary, and this cordless version is coming at a time that’s pretty convenient, so it may be an option for me.

I’m admittedly, hesitant about cutting the cord, but it’s something I’m heavily considering when I finally decide to scoop one up.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast