autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: First full job using my XFE7

Quote Originally Posted by swanicyouth View Post
    It's great this is getting taken care of, but I dunno. This is supposed to be top of the line gear - and this happens. Mebbe OK if it's a fluke - but there have been multiple posts about backing plates ripping off these things.

Like who's to say the new one will be fine for 6 mos and then the same thing will happen? I have a PC that I bought in like 2006 or something that still works perfectly...

This maybe a good advert for for Rupes or even Griots. I know there are lotsa good feels in this thread cuz it all worked out great and there are good people at AG / Flex....

But who out there would trust this thing on their car after seeing this?
    I've got four Rupes machines, a G21, this Flex, and my first PC. I've had a 3401, PE14, and a PE8. The 3401 and PE 14 were too hard on my back (I have serious back problems) I may actually go back and give the PE14 another try because of how quickly you can remove heavy defects with a rotary. The PE8 I sold after I got the ibird. The ibird was a better fit for my needs. As you can see I'm not loyal to any brand. I judge machines on their design, comfort, and performance.

I didn't see anything else about backing plates coming apart on these. I may not be typing the right wording into the search engine. I checked this machine a few times during use because I know heat was an issue with the first version. I didn't notice any excessive heat. Definitely a lot cooler running that the 3401. I had checked it before when I was testing the machine out, but it was only about 60 degrees out at that time. It was getting a lot more work this use and the temperature was in the 90s.

My initial reaction after this happened was negative. I just put a big gouge in the paint. I think any of us would have been ready to throw the machine in the trash immediately after something like this happened. After I cooled off and thought things through I went ahead and finished the car with that machine. I've talked about defect percentages throughout this thread, you can't mass produce a product and be 100% defect free. Other than the first version of this machine complaints or problems with Flex products on the forum have been pretty much non existent. For me there is enough positive things about this machine, and I have enough confidence in Flex tools to keep running it. If I have another problem with it obviously my opinion will change drastically.
    2015 F-150 Crew Cab Lariat
    2016 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DaveT435 View Post
    I've got four Rupes machines, a G21, this Flex, and my first PC. I've had a 3401, PE14, and a PE8. The 3401 and PE 14 were too hard on my back (I have serious back problems) I may actually go back and give the PE14 another try because of how quickly you can remove heavy defects with a rotary. The PE8 I sold after I got the ibird. The ibird was a better fit for my needs. As you can see I'm not loyal to any brand. I judge machines on their design, comfort, and performance.

I didn't see anything else about backing plates coming apart on these. I may not be typing the right wording into the search engine. I checked this machine a few times during use because I know heat was an issue with the first version. I didn't notice any excessive heat. Definitely a lot cooler running that the 3401. I had checked it before when I was testing the machine out, but it was only about 60 degrees out at that time. It was getting a lot more work this use and the temperature was in the 90s.

My initial reaction after this happened was negative. I just put a big gouge in the paint. I think any of us would have been ready to throw the machine in the trash immediately after something like this happened. After I cooled off and thought things through I went ahead and finished the car with that machine. I've talked about defect percentages throughout this thread, you can't mass produce a product and be 100% defect free. Other than the first version of this machine complaints or problems with Flex products on the forum have been pretty much non existent. For me there is enough positive things about this machine, and I have enough confidence in Flex tools to keep running it. If I have another problem with it obviously my opinion will change drastically.
    Dave, give the PO5000c a go man..virtually no vibration, less then xfe7-15 and boss G21
    as for the backing plates, it happened with version 1...to my knowledge this is the 4th BP mentioned to break off a version 2...but only you and another guy on FB confirmed it was in fact a version 2..other two just stated it was following the picture

Post Thanks / Like

You are a better man than me. After the backing plate came off I could never trust it again. I'm a Rupes guy and I've never had any problems with their products (except for some pads). Good luck with the Flex polisher, I really hope it gives you years of trouble free performance.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    After the backing plate came off I could never trust it again.
    this reminds many years ago when the PCXP first came out, a handful of people had the shaft break off and some damaged the paint similiar to what the OP experienced. no man made product is perfect and sometimes unfortunate things like this happen...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234