autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: First full job using my XFE7

Quote Originally Posted by JeffM View Post
    The original versions of the xfe had a defect. Lots of peoples broke, with no word on the forums for a recall on them either...
    for real? wow, thats kind of absurd....and people give the Rules dudes crap.
    Back to the full-time grind.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cleanmycorolla View Post

Or Griots..... remember when they came out with the BOSS system and all the hate spewed on the forum because it was made in China.
    Yet Flex had to come out with a free spinning da because of Rupes and Griot's and all the other free spinning da's out there. They were missing out on that entire market.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cleanmycorolla View Post
    Ugh iPhone, meant Rupes not Rules
    Back to the full-time grind.

Post Thanks / Like

reason why I won't buy the 12mm mini when it comes out..nor will i consider this again till they re release as version 3...this is pretty sad

Post Thanks / Like

sorry to hear about that incident . i wonder why they didn't use a one bolt backing plate like the rest of the long throw DA's out ...

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by custmsprty View Post

I find it interesting that it appears their is no representative from Flex frequenting the forum.

Just to point out, you also don't see anyone from any of the other tool manufactures either,

There's no one I've ever seen on the forum on a regular basis or ever at all from,

DeWALT
    Makita
    Cyclo
    Porter Cable

Once in a while Jeff Brown will be here from Griot's. We used to see RUPES staff on the forum like Todd Helme, Dylan or Jason Rose, but I rarely see anyone from RUPES on this forum any more?

Note: Todd Helme was on recently sharing information about the new tools RUPES introduced and this is greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by VISITOR View Post

sorry to hear about that incident .

i wonder why they didn't use a one bolt backing plate like the rest of the long throw DA's out ...

I was told the reason they went with 3 anchor points instead of a single anchor point in the center of the tools was to provide more lateral support for the backing plate and how it attaches to the rotating assembly. This design would/should mean less backing plate flexing when someone is pressing down on an edge of a buffing pad.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by DaveT435 View Post

The 6" backing plate broke and I ended up gouging the paint.

Knowing the 90% of the time you have these types of failure it's cut to heat the first thing I did was put my hand flat on what was left of the backing plate. It was warm, but I had no problem keeping my hand on it.

Hi Dave,

You know when I first saw this thread I thought it was going to share your positive experience because it's a great tool for it's category. I've been using them myself, using them on our TV show and teaching them in our classes and I've never seen this happen before.

I know FLEX would like to know about this as they are a responsible company and if there is a performance issue with any of their tools or tool related components then it's important to document and take action if and when neccassary.

I'll send the link to this thread to FLEX today.

Here's your pictures

Has the body panel been repainted yet?

If so, what was the cost?

Mike Phillips

Hey Dave,

When you get a chance, give me a call

1-800-869-3011 x206

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Mike,
    No the body panel hasn't been repainted yet. It took three months to be able to get the car for a couple days. I would expect it's going to be a few weeks before it will be able to be dropped off at the body shop. I've had a 3401, PE14, and PE8. I know Flex is a quality product.

I appreciate you passing this along. Whether they do anything about it or not I'm interested in hearing their thought. I understand if they don't want to do anything about it. Short of them being here when it happened I don't know if there is any way they'll know what happened for sure. If you want a close up of the two pieces I can do that.
    2015 F-150 Crew Cab Lariat
    2016 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by DaveT435 View Post

Hey Mike,

No the body panel hasn't been repainted yet. It took three months to be able to get the car for a couple days. I would expect it's going to be a few weeks before it will be able to be dropped off at the body shop. I've had a 3401, PE14, and PE8. I know Flex is a quality product.

I appreciate you passing this along. Whether they do anything about it or not I'm interested in hearing their thought. I understand if they don't want to do anything about it. Short of them being here when it happened I don't know if there is any way they'll know what happened for sure. If you want a close up of the two pieces I can do that.

Like I said,

Give me a call. FLEX was very nice in their reply back to me and asked me to get the below.

1: They would very much like to get this backing plate back and send it to the factory for the engineers to inspect.

2: Asked me to send you a new replacement backing plate ASAP.

2: Asked me to get your first and last name and shipping address. (I need it too).

You can PM me, e-mail me and/or call me

mike.phillips@Autogeek.net

1-800-869-3011 x206

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast