autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Flex 3401- how safe is it?

I know that not too many people have had the Flex for a long time but there's a few questions that I've been thinking of.

Since the flex is more powerful than the PC / UDM and is direct driven per se, how safe is it in reality? I've seen paint damage from a PC and it would make sense that it would be easier to damage with the flex- ie burn. Has anyone burnt or damaged paint yet? Has anyone intentionally left the Flex in one spot (on spare hood or junker) to see if it would actually damage the paint? Would you give a rookie this machine and allow them to work on your personal vehicle? How are the vibrations? If I have a PC and a rotary, would a Flex be worth it? How far off is the Flex from a rotary in working times and results? Can you damage trim, moldings, doorhandles, etc if the pad on the Flex touches it (like a rotary)?

Sorry for a million questions

Thanks

PS- I have a PC, UDM and Chicago Electric rotary and my next buffer purchase is either going to be a better rotary or a Flex, depending on the feedback I hear about the Flex in the months to come, since they cost the same.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Flex 3401- how safe is it?

I wouldn't think you would have a problem if you just used your head and didn't do something stupid.

Post Thanks / Like

The flex is a tool that is an ideal primer (Rotary 101, if you will) this tool was made for paint correction (used by EU car manufacturers, much like the Cyclo is in the for production line paint correction)

Like all tools there is a learning curve with it, so first gain experience on a paint surface that doesn’t matter i.e. a scrap panel, practice until you feel confident enough in its use and capabilities to use it on your own vehicle.

The immediate future in automotive clear coat paint is something very similar to CeramiClear i.e. very hard. A Flex has the ability to correct this type of hard paint, whereas a PC/UDM requires a quite a few passes to correct them, and also struggles to breakdown diminishing abrasives (something else that car care products are going over too) as it doesn't provide sufficient friction)
    Last edited by TOGWT; 12-08-2007 at 08:00 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

the machine also has alot of safeguards built in, but as with most tools, must be used with care and with paint care should not be tested to extremes. I for one cannot wait to get my hands on one ...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by budman3 View Post
    I know that not too many people have had the Flex for a long time but there's a few questions that I've been thinking of.

Since the flex is more powerful than the PC / UDM and is direct driven per se, how safe is it in reality? I've seen paint damage from a PC and it would make sense that it would be easier to damage with the flex- ie burn. Has anyone burnt or damaged paint yet? Has anyone intentionally left the Flex in one spot (on spare hood or junker) to see if it would actually damage the paint? Would you give a rookie this machine and allow them to work on your personal vehicle? How are the vibrations? If I have a PC and a rotary, would a Flex be worth it? How far off is the Flex from a rotary in working times and results? Can you damage trim, moldings, doorhandles, etc if the pad on the Flex touches it (like a rotary)?

Sorry for a million questions

Thanks

PS- I have a PC, UDM and Chicago Electric rotary and my next buffer purchase is either going to be a better rotary or a Flex, depending on the feedback I hear about the Flex in the months to come, since they cost the same.
    These are some very good Questions?

Post Thanks / Like

I have the Flex and will be using it next week. I will come back to answer some of your questions. I hope to do some timed comparisons b/t it and the PC. Giving each a far chance. I already have the replacement backing plate coming and have the 6" and 5.5" hard backing plates with it now.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by budman3 View Post
    I've seen paint damage from a PC

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

I also would like to know how fast is it compare to a rotary ???
    Well .... lets just say that a new Ferrari 430 Spyder was delivered to me last week. In that week I would have drove it by all those previous girlfriends who said I would never make it

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jesselyons2002 View Post
    I also would like to know how fast is it compare to a rotary ???
    You can't compare the two speed wise because one rotates and the other rotates and orbits. Rotations are measured in RPM (Flex tops out at 480 RPM whereas many use their rotaries at over 1,000 RPM). The Flex also orbits (tops out at 9,600 OPM whereas tops for the PC is 6,000 OPM).

Because the two motions are different you can't compare the two machines speed wise. It's apples to oranges.
    You like Nattys, I like Souveran, and Justin is DP MaxWax. And you know what, its alright !!
    -Killrwheels

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast