autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Possible damage to my 3401

I did my first boat detail today. Man that was alot of work! Anyway after about 2 hours of laying on it at a speed of 5 with an orange lake country pad an megs 205 its started smoking and appeared to seize up. I put it aside and grabbed my pc. After an hour I tried the flex again and got it to start working again but it took a little persuasion. It appeared to be working fine so I started

using it again. But I noticed small slivers of black plastic occasionally fall out of it yet it continued to work. I'm sure something got trashed inside, maybe the gears. So should I take it apart or is this something you just send in? Thanks
    2012 Dodge Challenger RT Classic Bright Silver
    2018 Ford F150 Xlt Sport 4X4 Magnetic Grey

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Possible damage to my 3401

Pull the plate off and see what it looks like inside and what got damaged. Let us know!
    Scott Harle
    Autodermatology
    #autodermatology

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you. I'm whooped. I'll take it off in the am. Idk how you pros do it. The boat was only 22 ft but it may as well been a yacht!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hoyt66 View Post
    Thank you. I'm whooped. I'll take it off in the am. Idk how you pros do it. The boat was only 22 ft but it may as well been a yacht!
    sounds like it might be the plastic ring that locks it in forced somehow got dislodged partially and got ate up...if thats the case, its an easy fix!

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Yet another reason why everyone should own and always have a PC on hand. Such a great versitile machine.

Post Thanks / Like

Man sorry to hear that. My guess the plastic ring is beat up. The Flex can be easily repaired from 1st hand experience. You just need the parts. Unless your Flex is still under warranty; you can send it in for repair.

I think there was no oil around the felt ring which also contributed to the failure (MY GUESS).

But I also have a PC7424 XP as a back up as well as my sealant/wax applicator.

Please let us know what was the outcome and also please show pics of the boat. I have never worked on a boat and just curios of what you did! Take care
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kamakaz1961 View Post
    Man sorry to hear that. My guess the plastic ring is beat up. The Flex can be easily repaired from 1st hand experience. You just need the parts. Unless your Flex is still under warranty; you can send it in for repair.

I think there was no oil around the felt ring which also contributed to the failure (MY GUESS).

First off, I'm impressed that you rocked a 22' boat with a 3401! I tackled a 19' this weekend but had the PE14 and a wool pad do the heavy lifting below the rub strip- 3401 got used above (typically on speed 5-6).

I'd agree to lube up the felt strip with some air tool oil, motor oil, etc.

Replacing the inner plastic ring literally takes 2 minutes, so hopefully that is culprit!

Best of luck!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by B5visser View Post
    First off, I'm impressed that you rocked a 22' boat with a 3401! I tackled a 19' this weekend but had the PE14 and a wool pad do the heavy lifting below the rub strip- 3401 got used above (typically on speed 5-6).

I'd agree to lube up the felt strip with some air tool oil, motor oil, etc.

Replacing the inner plastic ring literally takes 2 minutes, so hopefully that is culprit!

Best of luck!
    Thanks . I only do cars but a friend from church asked me to do his boat. it was a ton of work. Yea man a few hours in in I was thinking "I bet guys use straight rotary on these."
    Do ppl use DA on boats or is that just flat out not common? I think next time I will get some wool pads. I was just trying to keep my cost down by not buying any new pads. He lives on the lake and a neighbor came over asking about the price for his boat. Thank fully I answered that I'd have to see his boat first because I think I way under bid this job. I mean I'm only an enthusiast and detail a little on the side pretty much to pay for my detailing addiction and a few mods on my Challenger :-)

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry I forgot to turn my phone sideways. Anyway here are the pics of the damage. I'm thinking a new felt ring and a new back plate? The gear around the outside looks pretty good or should I just replace that while I'm at it?? Also here is a pic of the boat. I really should of took some 50/50 shots. They were amazing but I'm always just trying to just finish....

Thanks so much for your help
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Possible damage to my 3401-img_6779-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, you beat it up. Backing plate, felt ring and inner gear ring look toasted.

I did my buddys boat a couple of years ago and made him buy a HF DA. We ran it on six and didn't care.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast